Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2017, 09:48 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,275,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Whoa... the two of you are walking into a common trap. I don't care what you decide, it will have a fault that won't make it "right." Instead, sit down together and figure a maximum budget for the showerhead.

After checking around, present her with some options that you have found, and ask her to look for others and choose what she thinks the best three options are. Then, sit down together and choose as a couple which one of those three seems best.

I'll tell you right now that part of what is going on is that she wants and needs to feel she has input and part ownership of the project. If you make the final decisions, it ain't goinna be happy.
And if you can find a showroom where the shower heads are hooked up, even better. We didn't do that, thought a shower head was a shower head, and hated what we bought. Put the old water saver blaster back on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2017, 09:57 PM

1,544 posts, read 1,701,986 times
I have this one and love it.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...d_i=6810212011
I didn't think I would use the hand held that much, but find it great for washing down the shower walls. Love the massage feature too.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:46 PM

42,854 posts, read 26,316,632 times
Speakman are hands down the best shower head I've ever owned. We had a huge walk in shower in our old house and I got this 2 way Speakman https://www.amazon.com/Speakman-Neo-...+with+handheld

I used the handheld for rinsing down the shower walls after cleaning them and for bathing our two dogs (big labradoodles) I really loved it, it's the only thing I miss about that house.

Old 11-09-2017, 12:40 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
One of my favorites has been a big rainfall shower head. We'd picked it up on sale somewhere for $10 and it was a lovely thing. That shower room had a big tile floor with a drain in it so the shower was separate from the tub. There was the rainfall shower head and then another regular shower head that angled in in case someone wanted to shower and not get their head wet.

If it's new construction, set the shower head so you can adjust the temperature knobs without having to reach through the water to do it. And, you can have more than one shower head, too.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:30 AM

2,251 posts, read 3,274,621 times
Thanks for the input.

This is a possible one that she likes, but it is way too much $$$ in my mind.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If it's good I would probably go for it, but it's a lot of money to gamble without knowing if we will like it.

BTW, as has been suggested, I totally understand that seeing a working shower head in a showroom would be ideal, but we live in a small town that doesn't have anything like that.

Thanks again.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:21 AM

13,448 posts, read 15,497,147 times
I have a delta rain shower head. While I don't care for the plain design of the faucet you chose OP I wouldn't spend $250 for just a shower head either if your home is just your average new build. I understand that you lived in rentals with lower end fixtures and now you have the ability to buy better stuff, but IMHO if the neighborhood isn't necessarily an uber high end neighborhood, what's the point. You can find attractive mid priced items. Price seems to be an issue with you and both of your needs should be considered. I've heard about happy wife, happy life. I'm a wife myself. but that isn't an excuse to not consider your price conscious spouse and perhaps pick things that are attractive yet moderately priced.

Old 11-09-2017, 08:54 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,534,753 times
We have a shower head which is two of the square rain type heads on pivoting arms. It is wonderful. I picked it up at a trade show ten years ago. I couldn't find it in a quick amazon search. Here is my idea of luxury today.
:
https://www.amazon.com/Rainfall-Wate.../dp/B071S2ZLG8

Old 11-09-2017, 08:59 AM

61,772 posts, read 87,244,588 times
It has great reviews, but I agree.... that's overspending. Hope your state of the art toilet and tub, the sink and the faucet match the level of luxury.....
Kitchen is next, no?

Old 11-09-2017, 09:43 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
The best shower head I ever had was about the size and shape of a thimble. When I bought the house I thought there was no shower head on a plain pipe. That little thing gave the very best shower ever. I kick myself I didn't take it off and bring it with me.

I don't like the rain type shower heads. I'd like to take a shower without getting my hair wet.

I hate the shower head in my new house. It's big and looks nice but the little jets of water are so far apart I have to squirm around to get everything wet. "Looks good" does not guarantee a pleasant shower. I will be changing that soon to a showerhead handheld combination.

If you are building, I do recommend to get that shower plumbing up high.

Old 11-09-2017, 09:49 AM

32,668 posts, read 48,104,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
........This is a possible one that she likes, but it is way too much $$$ in my mind.....
There is something to be said for making your wife happy. That's a lot for a showerhead but not a lot to make your wife happy.

I suspect that after she gets it, she isn't going to like it much, but showerheads are easy to change.

Myself if I wanted to splurge on a great shower, I would spend the extra money to make the shower bigger, not on extra expensive hardware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House