Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 12:50 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,828,626 times

Advertisements

Building on the other thread about things someone would recommend, let's talk what you shouldn't have bought.

I'll go first...
Breadmaker- too lazy to use it and I learned the no-knead method that makes more tasty crusty bread recently. It was a Craigslist purchase and i sold it back on CL to someone else.

Crockpot - not needed once I have an Instant Pot. Sold it off CL too.

Soymilk maker - love the taste of unadulterated soymilk but too lazy to use and cleaning the filter inside the machine afterwards is a chore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 02:10 AM

409 posts, read 874,218 times
Dining Room set. In my previous house we had a family room and a Living Room and Dining Room that were side by side. So we used the space as one big LR. In my new house, the DR and LR are separate. So we bought a table and a couple of chairs. The Room rarely gets used and the table is more of a catch-all. Could’ve turned the room into a sitting room, already have an office, but there are only so many places you’re willing to sit.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:28 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Possibly the TV we put in our bedroom. Now the family tends to congregate there and just stay there watching TV.

My daughter bought a dog, and then could not keep it so we inherited it. It is an awful dog. Neurotic, poops on the floor and has an anal gland problem that makes her ooze disgusting stinky butt oil all the time. I wish I would return that dumb dog, or just shoot it, but my wife loves her.

A bush that died.

I also bought three trees int he fall, we will see whether they are alive in a few months. If they live I will not regret buying them.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:41 PM

23,314 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My daughter bought a dog, and then could not keep it so we inherited it. It is an awful dog. I wish I would return that dumb dog, or just shoot it.
So, did you or the daughter consider the dog nothing more than a sort of self-propelled lawn ornament? . Call me strange, but buying a dog is in a pretty different category from buying stuff for the house. The dog may be be "awful" because it is miserable and wouldn't choose its situation either.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:27 AM

401 posts, read 332,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonHB View Post
So, did you or the daughter consider the dog nothing more than a sort of self-propelled lawn ornament? . Call me strange, but buying a dog is in a pretty different category from buying stuff for the house. The dog may be be "awful" because it is miserable and wouldn't choose its situation either.
Yes I agree but this sounds like an interesting thread and I don't want to subscribe and find out it turned into another debate about how to treat/take care of animals. Yes, I know I know, it's important, but I just would really like to hear about which appliances, household items people have found not useful/not needed on this one thread.

Old 01-23-2018, 06:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
The dog is well cared for, as is or other dog and the last six dogs we have had. It is just a terrible dog with awful incurable smelly problems.

That and the TV are really the only things were recently acquired that i regret or want to get rid of.

Old 01-23-2018, 12:25 PM

23,314 posts, read 18,877,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtm100912 View Post
Yes I agree but this sounds like an interesting thread and I don't want to subscribe and find out it turned into another debate about how to treat/take care of animals. Yes, I know I know, it's important, but I just would really like to hear about which appliances, household items people have found not useful/not needed on this one thread.
I agree. I was sort of being facetious at such an odd "contribution" to the thread. There doesn't seem to be a smilie for that.

Old 01-25-2018, 11:40 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
First, let me clarify "I" didn't buy it- this was a dw purchase.

Amazon Echo! "Alexa" is a Royal Pain In My Ass!!! I used to use switches to turn things on and off. It required no assistance from ANYONE! Now, I have to "speak" to an AI entity in order to operate simple things like lights!

Now granted there is a plethora of other "things" this "PIMA" can do besides turn lights on and off- but I like the ol' fashion way; at least I got some exercise out of turning lights off and on.

Old 01-25-2018, 04:49 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,244,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
First, let me clarify "I" didn't buy it- this was a dw purchase.

Amazon Echo! "Alexa" is a Royal Pain In My Ass!!! I used to use switches to turn things on and off. It required no assistance from ANYONE! Now, I have to "speak" to an AI entity in order to operate simple things like lights!

Now granted there is a plethora of other "things" this "PIMA" can do besides turn lights on and off- but I like the ol' fashion way; at least I got some exercise out of turning lights off and on.
LOL!

I bought my father an Echo for Christmas after my mother died unexpectedly last year. My uncle also died unexpectedly last year several months previous, and my aunt had an Echo and said it was a comfort to her to be able to talk to something and converse, so I bought my father one as well. It's not tied into the lights, but he can talk to it to play music, tell him the weather, etc.

I bought my wife an iRobot vacuum for Christmas, I don't like it. We have it in our family room, and we have it clean that room, the kitchen nook, and the hallway to the bathroom. In my opinion, it may be good for cleaning a room with 4 square walls, but it does a bad job for our house. It's far easier to just grab our handheld Dyson stick and vacuum the same area in 10 minutes, that the robot takes 2 hours to do.

Old 01-25-2018, 06:07 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,287,006 times
When our local JCPenny closed, we went to get the bargains. I bought a jewelry armoire which was something like 50%-75% off. I had always wanted one. But, I didn't even get the legs on this one when I realized how much I hated it. I put it out at my many yard sales and just can't get rid of it. I still have to put it up on Craigslist and hopefully, I can FINALLY get rid of it.

But, I did recently got a new one at an auction that I like SOOOO MUCH better and I'm very happy with it.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House