Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 07:39 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,293,021 times

Advertisements

They're all way outside my price range and all look incredible, except the very last one in the lower right. Both the type of brick and the type of wood they used both look odd, and especially look odd together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 07:45 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,639,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I don't think you should "guarantee" something, when you really don't have any way to verify that... how do you know who can or cannot (or will in the future) afford a house like these? And location certainly matters too, since you could probably get one for like $500K-1M in some regions, while they'd easily go for $4M+ here in the Bay Area.

I personally do not have the means to buy ANY house right now, but my family has owned homes this large/fancy, and I'm still not fond of the new-build "McMansion" look/size. I wouldn't say the OP's examples are ugly, and if I were offered one I'd happily take #4 or 8. Outside of those limitations, however, I'd much rather buy a renovated Victorian or authentic mid-century modern. My sister's currently in an Eichler, which is probably worth more than these, and has a more appealing style imo. They tend to be on the smaller side, but few people actually need ~5000sf - they just want it. Especially given my single-no-children status, I really don't need more than 1000sf!

Here's an Eichler, for those who aren't familiar with them:

And another one from the inside/back:

(but really, I have more of a soft spot for Victorians - probably since I'm from the San Francisco area, and grew up in a 1901 Victorian)
No offense but THAT is better than literally any of the 10 designs shown?! I mean... what? All you see is roof, it's a tiny little shack lol. There's no curb appeal to that whatsoever. It's seriously hideous. If an agent took me to that house I would probably fire the agent, never mind walking inside lol.

When I was single, I lived in a 920 square foot condo downtown, and yes I've lived in some of the most expensive areas of the country between downtown L.A. and the Pearl District in Portland, those places are only rivaled by NYC, SF, Seattle, and maybe a few other major cities, so I understand when space is expensive. We sold our Pearl condo (1,700 square feet) for $750K. It was just way too small, it was huge for a condo, yes, and that was a big appeal, but there's simply no soundproofing good enough to withstand the drawbacks of a small house.

You ask if I wonder how families do it, yes, I wonder how all kinds of people tolerate their lives. All of the time. I don't know how anyone could tolerate years of changing poopy diapers. Or how anyone could think 75 degrees is acceptable sleeping temperature. It's not even acceptable for during the day, let alone trying to sleep, that's 10 degrees too hot. I literally could never fall asleep in that kind of situation. The American Sleep Foundation recommends about 65 degrees and that is indeed the ideal temperature. I've never been able to sleep in the heat, but kudos to you if you can, because that's great honestly.

There isn't really any arguing about it, there's simply no way that in houses that small one person could be watching TV or gaming with friends, talking, laughing, normal human activities, and NOT have that bother someone else trying to sleep. You need a house with enough space for separation. Otherwise, what's the alternative? Not ever having friends over? Not ever living your own life? I realize for most people this is an astonishing concept, but not everyone works at 9 to 5 job with the exact same sleep schedule every single day. If my GF and I both worked typical day jobs, and we came home and ate dinner at exactly 6:30 every night, and then we always watched a movie together, and then we went to bed, sure, I'm positive we could make a tiny condo work for us. But that's not reality. We often sleep at vastly different times, she doesn't want to watch as many movies as I do (it's part of my career to watch movies), so she has an office two floors above the basement where she can peacefully do her own thing and I can do mine, without ever disturbing her.

In a perfect world, we'd have a much larger house with a home theater that was sufficiently sound padded so you could watch movies pretty loudly and nobody in a bedroom would hear, but that's not reality for our budget, at least. Even when you are in the 4,500 square foot home range, at least 95% of them and as many as 98% of them have floor plans that simply don't work. They are bigger, but the space is wasted and the concept is so open that you're not accomplishing much of anything in quality of living improvements. It's just extra space that goes wasted, like hallways, a large dining area, bigger kitchen, all things that "look" nice but practically don't enhance your life.

Everything I want in a home has a practical function. It serves a purpose and that purpose is to make my life better and easier. It's not about "showing off" or just having a "luxury home" for the sake of it. That's why we reject a lot of nice houses immediately because they're impractical. They don't accomplish in 4,500 square feet what our 2,900 square foot house already does, so that doesn't work.

I also have a fairly large collection, even after selling off about 40% of my collection, I'll probably have to sell off another 30% before I move because it has just sat in storage with nowhere to display it. If you don't really own much of anything, and you're single, you can be in a much smaller place. I had a 820 square foot place in Long Beach for a little bit that was fine for my needs, it was minimal but it was enough for my office and my bedroom and a nice living room area. Since it was just me, I didn't ever have to worry about noise issues or disturbing anyone else. When you're living with someone else, you either get to choose -- a lot of arguments or conforming your lifestyle to someone else's OR you need an exponentially larger place.

I'm glad we're never having kids because I think 8,000 square feet would be about where I'd have to start.

Old 06-15-2018, 07:51 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,918,925 times
I could live in #3, but the rest are not appealing to me.

Old 06-15-2018, 09:24 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
No offense but THAT is better than literally any of the 10 designs shown?! I mean... what? All you see is roof, it's a tiny little shack lol. There's no curb appeal to that whatsoever. It's seriously hideous. If an agent took me to that house I would probably fire the agent, never mind walking inside lol.
I never said “better” - I said it was more MY style, and if your taste differs that is fine. Wouldn’t this be a boring world if we all had the same opinions? But like I said, these homes (Eichlers) are in extremely high demand, and the architect is quite famous around Northern California. The exterior/front isn’t exciting, I realize, but the open-concept and glass interiors are what attracts most people to them.

Again, it might not be YOUR cup of tea, but this is what they look like inside:

Quote:
I realize for most people this is an astonishing concept, but not everyone works at 9 to 5 job with the exact same sleep schedule every single day. If my GF and I both worked typical day jobs, and we came home and ate dinner at exactly 6:30 every night, and then we always watched a movie together, and then we went to bed, sure, I'm positive we could make a tiny condo work for us. But that's not reality. We often sleep at vastly different times, she doesn't want to watch as many movies as I do (it's part of my career to watch movies), so she has an office two floors above the basement where she can peacefully do her own thing and I can do mine, without ever disturbing her.
My work schedule changes depending on the day, including alternating weekends in exchange for Friday or Monday off - and my actual sleep/wake times can vary by as much as 8 hours, so you’re preaching to the choir! I also said that my sister and her husband work irregular schedules, especially her job which requires many evening and weekend (sporting) events + regular travel. So even those of us who don’t work “bank hours” still manage, and just adapt to the situation accordingly.

I had roommates for many years, and at one time shared a 1200sf house with two other people... I was working mostly Sun-Thurs from 12-9pm, the male roomie worked Tues-Sat from like 9am-6pm, and the other female alternated between graveyard and early morning shifts at Trader Joe’s. We were somehow able to sleep, watch TV, have occasional guests over, prepare our meals, etc, without often disturbing each other. It was just a matter of being respectful (when someone was asleep), and also using our individual methods of blocking unwanted noise. The one who worked at TJ’s was also the type who could sleep through a hurricane, and literally slept through a few earthquakes. So that helped too!

Quote:
I'm glad we're never having kids because I think 8,000 square feet would be about where I'd have to start.
Okay, now I’m beginning to feel like you’re trolling us! Either that, or you’re the most sound-sensitive person in the world. If you ever did have a family and couldn’t afford (or find) a house that big, I’d say it was time to reduce your amount of stuff - and learn to sleep without needing absolute silence. Even living alone, I can’t control the noises outside, which have been excessive in some of my urban neighborhoods. So I have a number of ways to effectively block these noises, and have also greatly reduced my possessions over the years. We don’t all have the ability to live in silent and gigantic houses, so we do what we’ve gotta do to survive.

P.S. What kind of collection do you have?

Last edited by gizmo980; 06-15-2018 at 09:46 PM..

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 PM

19 posts, read 19,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
They're all way outside my price range and all look incredible, except the very last one in the lower right. Both the type of brick and the type of wood they used both look odd, and especially look odd together.
Not the same home, but very similar in design to that. Stone wood combo looks better in real life
Attached Thumbnails
Which of these homes curb appeal would you rate from best to worst?-image_full.jpg  

Old 06-15-2018, 10:14 PM

I grew up in an 8,000 square foot house to be fair, until we moved to a 20,000 square foot house when I was 14. There were 4 of us. I only mention this because who knows, maybe if I had grown up in a really noisy area (we had 2 acres then 40 at the next house) I would have just somehow been adapted to that. But I can’t sleep unless it’s quiet. I do run a fan for white noise and that’s fantastic but I also have Soundproof Windows which I highly recommend anywhere. It’s a second double-pane but much thicker and higher quality window that’s added inside of the frame of the existing window. So you effectively have a space that creates even more sound blocking between the two windows. They’re amazing I have to say. It stops almost all normal sounds. I admit I’m a total princess when it comes to sleeping, but do you think I like that? Lol no. I need total darkness, quiet, good mattress, and 65 degrees. Short of that it’ll be poor sleep. But as sleep is so important to health and mental clarity it’s well worth it for me to prioritize that.

I have a fairly large Star Wars collection (props, art, signed photos) and a growing Vegas Golden Knights collection. It’s just stuff, but it’s fun. I don’t mind downsizing collections, made a lot of money on what I sold of my SW collection already. Also my aesthetic is very clean and very “sterile” ha ha so ultra modern, meaning I don’t really like to junk up a house with clutter. Even high end collectibles, unless they have a dedicated room. Knights stuff in the sports / gaming room makes sense. That’s why I’ll probably sell even more SW stuff, just takes too much room. Even if I like it.

I guess it’s all about perspective because it would be hard to see 4,500 square feet as “huge” to me when my dads house is 4 times bigger and he lives there alone now. To me 4,500 is just a reasonable size for what I need out of a house. I’m a homebody and I like my house to be very self contained.

I also love lots of windows and natural light for sure, but I can’t stand anything but modern designs. We live in a contemporary house now and I like the layout a lot but the curb appeal to me and the just general feeling screams mediocrity. People always like our house because it’s perfectly pleasant and nice. I find it perfectly boring and mundane, cookie cutter and slopped together by a builder only concerned about a few dollars. I don’t care if it’s my house or not lol I don’t get defensive of it. It does the job for now. Can’t wait to move though.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I would say 1, 4, and 5. Those are all great. Anything modern, the rest of them aren't modern, they don't do anything for me. Maybe for someone else, but if it's not modern it has zero curb appeal to me.
I really like 1 4 and 5, but 10 as well . Really like the modern style

Old 06-15-2018, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHouseBuilder View Post
I really like 1 4 and 5, but 10 as well . Really like the modern style
I couldn’t decide if I also liked 10. It was on the fence lol. Modern style thankfully is very big now because I honestly hate most other styles. If it’s charming or homey or “has character” I’ll hate it for sure. I can tolerate contemporary but it’s so bland and... just “pleasant,” without being artistic. If someone describes a house as “sterile” and “cold” and “no character” or “almost like an office building” odds are I’ll love it. I like quality design and if you’re building quality homes it should be thick glass windows, concrete ideally for exteriors, no pitched roof ideally, no attic, because it’s flat concrete roof. Best thermal envelope, most practical, and also looks the best. I can sometimes be turned off by “ultra modern” because they may go too far, but it depends.

Old 06-15-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
I couldn’t decide if I also liked 10. It was on the fence lol. Modern style thankfully is very big now because I honestly hate most other styles. If it’s charming or homey or “has character” I’ll hate it for sure. I can tolerate contemporary but it’s so bland and... just “pleasant,” without being artistic. If someone describes a house as “sterile” and “cold” and “no character” or “almost like an office building” odds are I’ll love it. I like quality design and if you’re building quality homes it should be thick glass windows, concrete ideally for exteriors, no pitched roof ideally, no attic, because it’s flat concrete roof. Best thermal envelope, most practical, and also looks the best. I can sometimes be turned off by “ultra modern” because they may go too far, but it depends.
I noticed each of them have different renders. I feel the night shots with lights is kinda cheating as that always pumps up the look. Ill take some real life pictures and post them on a clear day Most of these homes are covered by gates and (smallish) trees and are in a private community. But you can walk in as most of the area is still developing. We get alot of snow here, flat roof designs can be problematic with the amount of snow we get, and melting. It can be done but I know alot of homes develop leaks as the years go by. Me and you have the same style lool, alot of people are hating on these homes. I really think they suit the climate here. Its beside the mountains so its very rocky and forest heavy here

Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHouseBuilder View Post
Not the same home, but very similar in design to that. Stone wood combo looks better in real life

That work in my neck of the woods.. LOl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House