Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 11:20 PM

3,158 posts, read 4,592,700 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I grew up in an 8,000 square foot house to be fair, until we moved to a 20,000 square foot house when I was 14. There were 4 of us. I only mention this because who knows, maybe if I had grown up in a really noisy area (we had 2 acres then 40 at the next house) I would have just somehow been adapted to that. But I can’t sleep unless it’s quiet. I do run a fan for white noise and that’s fantastic but I also have Soundproof Windows which I highly recommend anywhere. It’s a second double-pane but much thicker and higher quality window that’s added inside of the frame of the existing window. So you effectively have a space that creates even more sound blocking between the two windows. They’re amazing I have to say. It stops almost all normal sounds. I admit I’m a total princess when it comes to sleeping, but do you think I like that? Lol no. I need total darkness, quiet, good mattress, and 65 degrees. Short of that it’ll be poor sleep. But as sleep is so important to health and mental clarity it’s well worth it for me to prioritize that.

I have a fairly large Star Wars collection (props, art, signed photos) and a growing Vegas Golden Knights collection. It’s just stuff, but it’s fun. I don’t mind downsizing collections, made a lot of money on what I sold of my SW collection already. Also my aesthetic is very clean and very “sterile” ha ha so ultra modern, meaning I don’t really like to junk up a house with clutter. Even high end collectibles, unless they have a dedicated room. Knights stuff in the sports / gaming room makes sense. That’s why I’ll probably sell even more SW stuff, just takes too much room. Even if I like it.

I guess it’s all about perspective because it would be hard to see 4,500 square feet as “huge” to me when my dads house is 4 times bigger and he lives there alone now. To me 4,500 is just a reasonable size for what I need out of a house. I’m a homebody and I like my house to be very self contained.

I also love lots of windows and natural light for sure, but I can’t stand anything but modern designs. We live in a contemporary house now and I like the layout a lot but the curb appeal to me and the just general feeling screams mediocrity. People always like our house because it’s perfectly pleasant and nice. I find it perfectly boring and mundane, cookie cutter and slopped together by a builder only concerned about a few dollars. I don’t care if it’s my house or not lol I don’t get defensive of it. It does the job for now. Can’t wait to move though.

Seriously dude this is being to sound like Patrick Bateman (American Psycho)

Patrick Bateman: I live in the American Gardens building on West 81st street. My name is Patrick Bateman. I'm 27 years old. I believe in taking care of myself, and a balanced diet and a rigorous exercise routine. In the morning, if my face is a little puffy, I'll put on an ice pack while doing my stomach crunches. I can do a thousand now. After I remove the ice pack, I use a deep pore cleanser lotion. In the shower, I use a water activated gel cleanser. Then a honey almond body scrub. And on the face, an exfoliating gel scrub. Then apply an herb mint facial mask, which I leave on for 10 minutes while I prepare the rest of my routine. I always use an aftershave lotion with little or no alcohol, because alcohol dries your face out and makes you look older. Then moisturizer, then an anti-aging eye balm followed by a final moisturizing protective lotion. There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me. Only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our life styles are probably comparable, I simply am not there.~~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2018, 08:30 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,182,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
They're very coveted around here, and therefore usually end up in bidding wars... but my sister and her husband were determined to get one, and were outbid on a few before finally "winning" theirs! It's too small for them now, after 10 years and two children (she was pregnant with #1 when they moved in), and does have a number of structural challenges. Just recently had to get a new roof, after years of dealing with leaks and a slippery/hazardous indoor courtyard every winter. They sure are nice looking, though.
They look great in a California setting. They would be very out of place in my community of 1920's bungalows.

These are the common style of the smaller houses in town.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...1_M77240-68830

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7-87190#photo9

Old 06-16-2018, 08:49 AM

7,457 posts, read 4,690,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Modern style thankfully is very big now because I honestly hate most other styles. If it’s charming or homey or “has character†I’ll hate it for sure. I can tolerate contemporary but it’s so bland and... just “pleasant,†without being artistic. If someone describes a house as “sterile†and “cold†and “no character†or “almost like an office building†odds are I’ll love it. I like quality design and if you’re building quality homes it should be thick glass windows, concrete ideally for exteriors, no pitched roof ideally, no attic, because it’s flat concrete roof. Best thermal envelope, most practical, and also looks the best. I can sometimes be turned off by “ultra modern†because they may go too far, but it depends.
This!

I can't wait for modern designs to start replacing the southern style brick homes.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:57 AM

I like curves/semi-curves. It's sleek. Others prefer the right angles and that's fine.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:54 AM

3,075 posts, read 1,683,234 times
1, 7, 8 are my favorites in order.

I like 2 the least because of all the garages.

Old 06-16-2018, 11:58 AM

6,109 posts, read 10,901,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
This!

I can't wait for modern designs to start replacing the southern style brick homes.
Good luck with that. Most folks are incredibly conservative when it comes to home design invariably preferring a traditional style and Southerners I would imagine would fall even more so into that tribe.

I like all kinds of styles from Classicism, Arts & Crafts, Mediterranean, MCM to cubism or organic contemporary. Although I do find the ubiquitous builder grade Colonial Revivals/Traditionals to be an extreme bore! Almost all of the designs I have worked on though tend to be very traditional per the program from the client and existing context.

Now I wish I had the design skills and the clients that a local and world renowned architect here has.

Projects Archive - Wallace Cunningham

The houses he has designed are a wonder to see first hand although I am not sure how practical they may be to live in or maintain day to day.

I’ve met him a few times and he surprisingly is a very low key and nice guy for the bold visions that occupy his mind
- no mercurial Frank Lloyd Wright prima Donna personality lol.

Last edited by T. Damon; 06-16-2018 at 12:19 PM..

Old 06-16-2018, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Good luck with that. Most folks are incredibly conservative when it comes to home design invariably preferring a traditional style and Southerners I would imagine would fall even more so into that tribe.

I like all kinds of styles from Classicism, Arts & Crafts, Mediterranean, MCM to cubism or organic contemporary. Although I do find the ubiquitous builder grade Colonial Revivals/Traditionals to be an extreme bore! Almost all of the designs I have worked on though tend to be very traditional per the program from the client and existing context.

Now I wish I had the design skills and the clients that a local and world renowned architect here has.

Projects Archive - Wallace Cunningham

The houses he has designed are a wonder to see first hand although I am not sure how practical they may be to live in or maintain day to day.

I’ve met him a few times and he surprisingly is a very low key and nice guy for the bold visions that occupy his mind
- no mercurial Frank Lloyd Wright prima Donna personality lol.
Thanks for sharing. I've not been to his site prior and totally forgot his name. It's also nice to see the construction stage of the house as per his Serenity folder.

Old 06-16-2018, 01:47 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
The first home on top left has too many large windows. You can see everything inside the home. I would never buy a home like that, even if it were a great bargain. I need privacy.

Glass is also a cheaper building material than brick so it's obvious why so many windows are used in homes now.

Old 06-16-2018, 02:10 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Personally I love lots of windows and natural light and I prefer no window treatments. That being said, the front of my house DOES have sheer curtains - people can see vague globes of light but no details of people or furniture inside and I'm OK with that.

The whole back of our house is full of windows with no curtains and I like that but only because we have a very private back yard.

One of the biggest selling points to us about the house was all the natural light flowing in through the tall windows and transoms.

Old 06-16-2018, 04:32 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,760,894 times
I like 2, 3, 5, 7, and 8. I do not like the other styles, that is to say: I would not live in the other houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House