Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 07:41 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times

Advertisements

I'm with you on building a home big just for the sake of it, or to "show off" to other people, I couldn't agree more strongly. There's no point to that, really, unless you're hiding some other insecurity or I guess if you really do just have SO much money that you're like, shoot, why not. I can understand that. I fundamentally don't think we disagree, but I think there's an assumption that any house that's bigger than you can imagine is just to show off.

To be frank, that's a lack of creativity combined with a different lifestyle. If I had limitless money, I wouldn't build a house with a larger living room, bigger bedrooms, two formal dining rooms, a big library, three sitting areas, and a bunch of other "gee we're too stupid to figure out what to do with the space" kind of configurations. I'd built a 30 seat home theater that doubles as a finishing studio for feature films, since I'm a writer-director, and I'd set up a booth where I could finish my movies from home with an editor and sound editor there to review on the screen. I'd use the home theater for throwing screening parties. I'd build a bowling alley into the house because it's something to do, it's fun, and adds another entertainment option. I'd build a fairly substantial arcade room with vintage cabinets from the 80s and 90s, because I LOVE arcade gaming. I'd build a 1,000 square foot room with divisions for my Star Wars / sports memorabilia collections. The home gym would be enormous and include every machine I enjoy using regularly. A dedicated gaming room would be setup for both gaming and sports, with multiple TVs so I could have friends over and play as many as 4 TVs at once for online gaming on PS4 / Xbox One or have Sunday football parties where we have 4 games going at once.

So when you say that a larger house is just to "show off," it sounds like you're talking about these idiot architects who build your average creatively bankrupt home. I agree with you, they waste the space they have. But to say you couldn't use or wouldn't enjoy a larger home, well, I can't tell what you personally will or will not enjoy, but the above I just described would absolutely make my quality of life better and I would absolutely love all of those things in a home if I had limitless money to spend. One day, I will build a home like that, and it will be freakin' amazing. I won't waste my money or my space on a stupidly large living room, and no bedrooms will be larger than they need to be to accommodate a king sized bed comfortably with nightstands, etc. The space will all go toward making the place as fun and functional as possible. So, no, not everyone who likes a big house wants anything "ostentatious" as you say. The reality is the creative mind can find ways to use more space to enhance their lives. If you can't imagine those, that's ok, but I don't think anything I described would be to "show off" to other people as I'd enjoy all of those things all by myself.

I do the best I can with what I got, which is why I have a small home gym, an arcade cabinet, 2 TVs, and collectibles here and there. That's what I can afford. You better believe if I could afford more, I'd find a way to use it. I'm sorry for the people who can't imagine that, honestly, must not have very active imaginations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:26 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
OP asks about curb appeal, and the thread takes off in the direction of posters touting their own superior taste or defending the size of their homes.

Never change, C-D. Never change.
There is a difference between the concepts of "superior taste" and "personal taste." Some people (myself but others as well) understand this.

The OP asked for preferences regarding curb appeal and it's appropriate to say whether we like or dislike certain homes or styles since preferences are generally nothing more than personal opinions.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I'm with you on building a home big just for the sake of it, or to "show off" to other people, I couldn't agree more strongly. There's no point to that, really, unless you're hiding some other insecurity or I guess if you really do just have SO much money that you're like, shoot, why not. I can understand that. I fundamentally don't think we disagree, but I think there's an assumption that any house that's bigger than you can imagine is just to show off.

To be frank, that's a lack of creativity combined with a different lifestyle. If I had limitless money, I wouldn't build a house with a larger living room, bigger bedrooms, two formal dining rooms, a big library, three sitting areas, and a bunch of other "gee we're too stupid to figure out what to do with the space" kind of configurations. I'd built a 30 seat home theater that doubles as a finishing studio for feature films, since I'm a writer-director, and I'd set up a booth where I could finish my movies from home with an editor and sound editor there to review on the screen. I'd use the home theater for throwing screening parties. I'd build a bowling alley into the house because it's something to do, it's fun, and adds another entertainment option. I'd build a fairly substantial arcade room with vintage cabinets from the 80s and 90s, because I LOVE arcade gaming. I'd build a 1,000 square foot room with divisions for my Star Wars / sports memorabilia collections. The home gym would be enormous and include every machine I enjoy using regularly. A dedicated gaming room would be setup for both gaming and sports, with multiple TVs so I could have friends over and play as many as 4 TVs at once for online gaming on PS4 / Xbox One or have Sunday football parties where we have 4 games going at once.

So when you say that a larger house is just to "show off," it sounds like you're talking about these idiot architects who build your average creatively bankrupt home. I agree with you, they waste the space they have. But to say you couldn't use or wouldn't enjoy a larger home, well, I can't tell what you personally will or will not enjoy, but the above I just described would absolutely make my quality of life better and I would absolutely love all of those things in a home if I had limitless money to spend. One day, I will build a home like that, and it will be freakin' amazing. I won't waste my money or my space on a stupidly large living room, and no bedrooms will be larger than they need to be to accommodate a king sized bed comfortably with nightstands, etc. The space will all go toward making the place as fun and functional as possible. So, no, not everyone who likes a big house wants anything "ostentatious" as you say. The reality is the creative mind can find ways to use more space to enhance their lives. If you can't imagine those, that's ok, but I don't think anything I described would be to "show off" to other people as I'd enjoy all of those things all by myself.

I do the best I can with what I got, which is why I have a small home gym, an arcade cabinet, 2 TVs, and collectibles here and there. That's what I can afford. You better believe if I could afford more, I'd find a way to use it. I'm sorry for the people who can't imagine that, honestly, must not have very active imaginations.
I can only speak for myself but I will.

I can easily "imagine" more space - significantly more space in fact. But do I want to maintain it? Nope. My personal preference - with no kids in the house but regular overnight company, and with my activity level (in my 50s) still very high, and with "extra" funds that I could spend on more space and more maintenance if I wanted it - is not more than about 3000 square feet and not less than about 2500. This is the size that fits my lifestyle, my preferences, and my activity level. Period.

I subscribe to at least three decorating magazines - let's see, Southern Living, English Homes, and Homes and Antiques. Oh wait, four - House Beautiful as well. These are filled with homes of all sizes and styles. Even if I COULDN'T "imagine" more space, I'd be forced to think outside my limited capabilities by reading these magazines (and others). But no worries - I enjoy reading and thinking about all sorts of home styles and sizes and budgets - but just like on a trip, I'm always glad to come home to my own place in reality. I do get some good ideas from various sources but overall, nyahhh, I don't feel challenged in the imagination arena. Even the best designers will peruse other styles and sources for ideas and inspiration.

To repeat, in case you misunderstood me somehow - I know what's out there. I can afford more space. I just don't want it. I am quite comfortable and happy in 2500 to 3000 square feet or so.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:00 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,058,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Home gyms, arcade machines, and collectibles have less than zero appeal to me. And I bet the things I do spend my $ and imagination energy on would have limited-to-no interest to you and to others here. That really needs explaining?

Don't feel sorry for me.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:11 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,436,110 times
For curb appeal changes look here https://taleghan.us/ideas/6-jaw-drop...peal-makeovers. Many are really jaw dropping to think they are the same house. None are a McMansion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House