Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 11:20 AM

50,779 posts, read 36,474,703 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to a home with well water. There is a huge amount of iron in the water. So much so that my blonde highlighted hair is now orange! Eventually we would like to spend the couple thousand needed for a water treatment system, however right now every cent we can save needs to go towards a new septic system and then a new roof. The septic need is the most pressing, and we just don't have that much to spare right now.

We tried a $30 shower head filter that got excellent reviews on Amazon but didn't do squat. Does anyone know of any relatively affordable ($500 or less) solutions that can at least reduce the amount of iron in the shower (laundry would be good, too - drinking water we aren't worried about as we use a 5 gallon bottled water dispenser) until we can spring for professional treatments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 PM

400 posts, read 573,529 times
Do you have a water softener system? That, and using rust buster salt, can help. But the only thing I've found to reliably work all the time is a dedicated iron removal unit. I don't think you are going to get one of those for less than 1,000, unfortunately.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,270,871 times
The only thing that will work for a large amount of iron in well water is a dedicated iron filter. Water softeners and definitely any small point-of-use filters will be completely useless.

Like TWG1572 said, a good iron filter will run you $1K or more, but they are relatively maintenance-free - you just have to change the media about every 10 years or so.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM

23,296 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Well water iron is a tough one. A softener system, the right salt/additive, calibrated to your specific well is pretty much your only "solution". The iron doesn't act alone...it is also affected by the pH, other mineral content, and organics. I've lived on well water for decades. Every well was different. One was minimally handled by a $500 off-the-shelf softener, the other took a $3200 multi stage softener/filtration system. Get the water analyzed to know what the concentration of iron is and what else is present. Be careful....lots of "miracle" additives and systems people would love to sell you as you've already found out.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
We recently moved to a home with well water.
There is a huge amount of iron in the water.
Didn't you have this tested before you bought?
Maybe had the SELLER pony up for the "water treatment system" ?

Quote:
right now every cent we can save needs to go towards a new septic system and then a new roof.
The septic need is the most pressing, and we just don't have that much to spare right now.
How did you get a mortgage on this place?

Old 07-09-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1572 View Post
Do you have a water softener system? That, and using rust buster salt, can help. But the only thing I've found to reliably work all the time is a dedicated iron removal unit. I don't think you are going to get one of those for less than 1,000, unfortunately.
We don’t have anything yet except the shower filter, thanks. Guess I’ll have to live with orange hair for at least a little while lol. We did get the water tested, I’ll have to look to see what the concentration was.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Didn't you have this tested before you bought?
Maybe had the SELLER pony up for the "water treatment system" ?

How did you get a mortgage on this place?
It was a HUD house, vacant for a year before we bought it.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:06 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
My dad has that problem with his water. He has a pre-softener iron filter. He said it did not cost much at all, (is actual words was it was "peanuts" compared to the cost of the softener, but I am not sure how old it is, maybe costs have changed.

You will eventually likely want a softener because your skin hair dishes and appliances will suffer the effect of very hard water even if yo get the iron out. That can wait a while, but not a long time. You do not need a fancy one. Any of them with two tanks should be fine. Even a single tank will work but it uses more salt.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
My dad has that problem with his water. He has a pre-softener iron filter. He said it did not cost much at all, (is actual words was it was "peanuts" compared to the cost of the softener, but I am not sure how old it is, maybe costs have changed.

You will eventually likely want a softener because your skin hair dishes and appliances will suffer the effect of very hard water even if yo get the iron out. That can wait a while, but not a long time. You do not need a fancy one. Any of them with two tanks should be fine. Even a single tank will work but it uses more salt.
Thank you!

Old 07-10-2018, 02:51 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,426,378 times
Something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Aqua-Pure-...ding=UTF8&s=hi

It doesn't come with a bracket, but if you were to get one, I would suggest a multi-filter bracket so you could expand it at a later date if it works out for you. Downside could be cost of filters depending on iron concentration.

Another option would be to check with a local water supply company (Culligan, etc.) to see about a rental unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House