Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2018, 07:46 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,998,603 times

Advertisements

Well.... we have a 1956 Sears Coldspot refrigerator still keeping things cold... and frozen.

A 1960 oil-fueled boiler still keeps things nice and toasty in the winter.

I did replace a 1960 GE stainless steel wall oven when it was 36 years old. Primarily, because it wasn't self-cleaning. Still worked fine. It's replacement died within 10 years.

The oldest appliance I personally use is my almost 15 year old GE frontload washer. I pray it lasts until I shuffle off to the great beyond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2018, 09:21 PM

4,242 posts, read 948,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
Just replaced the 1987 stove that came with my home.

Couldn't wait for the *(#%) thing to give up the ghost!
Just to clarify.

I did wait - and it did give up the ghost.

I also don't replace until things stop working.

Except for my old boxy TV - I inherited a big flat screen and it was like someone turned the lights on!

Old 08-06-2018, 09:42 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,600,126 times
Almond colored gas stove.

No idea how old, but the color certainly indicates late '60's or early '70's. Bullet proof.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:15 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,028,299 times
We have an electric roaster that dates back to around 1950. Westinghouse. Still works. Belonged to my late Mother-in -Law.

Old 08-06-2018, 10:22 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,698,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
1981 or 1983 Kenmore oven/microwave/microwave. I don't replace things that are not broken, with some exeptions. Like the 1981 or 1983 A/C that worked, but guzzled energy. I can't convince my neighbor that replacing hers, the same kind of original TRANE, would pay for itself in one summer. /shrug.

Don't remember why I had to replace the water heater. Nothing bad happened, though, I would remember damage. (The old one was better, and worked for 29 years)

If the prior owners had not replaced the energy guzzling dryer, I might have. Hard to say. HOW badly it guzzled energy being the deciding factor.

I know plenty of those still work, over 30 years old. I have seen them in other units, and been loaned one by the maintenance guy while he fixed mine.

He keeps/sells for cheap a lot of things that still work but were replaced just to upgrade.
Energy savings don't always add up to lower overall costs... not to mention the impact of the throw away society...

I manage rentals... the building had Amana Refrigerators... all bought in 1982... nice boxes with glass shelves, drawers, etc... will built metal units.

Half the tenants qualify for some type of assistance... the city had a Energy Star Refrigerator Exchange program... as manager I reluctantly signed off... 6 new refrigerators arrived and the old Amana hauled out...

What is not to like???

Well that was 6 years ago and only 1 of the 6 new refrigerators is still there... 5 failed and the owner was on the hook to replace... of the 4 units that did not get new refrigerators, 3 of the original are still on the job...

When I mentioned this to the appliance dealer I know... he said typical longevity has been exchanged for lower energy costs.... compressors are smaller, lighter and run more... coils are thinner and many do not have any copper... hingers, handles, shelves, door liners are cheap...

As an engineer by profession... reliability rates high on my list... the promise of energy efficiency has to be weighed as part of overall cost of ownership...

The front loaders all of Mom's retired neighbors bought have failed... they are on the second or even third pair... sure they use less water but they cost a lot more to buy and to repair... plus... some of her seniors friends fondly recall the old days where the manual wasn't 80 pages on how to use a Washing Machine...

Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Our appliances came with the house, and for the most part we've updated them. I'd say all over them are within 5 years old now.

Except for the washing machine. A Maytag from good old 1979. It still works well, and does the job, so in no rush to replace it.

Wife thinks it's embarrassing to have a 39-year old washing machine...but I'm all for letting it go until it dies!

---------
This is the reason that drives a lot of consumer buying... having to latest and greatest or what is in fashion at the moment...

Old 08-06-2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
My hot water heater is from 2001. I just replaced the anode rod earlier this year. I hope I can get a few more years out of it but that's unlikely.
Probably about 1% of homeowners service the anode rod... it really can make a tremendous difference depending on water...

Old 08-06-2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Our fridge is from 1927.

We also have a flip flop toaster from 1911, but I lost the cord. So while it technically still works, we cannot use it anymore.

We also have a Magic Chef 1000 stove that is from the same era, but not sure what year. While it technically "works" in that you could hook up gas and make a fire, I am restoring it, so it resides in the garage.
I was too late to score a 1920's refrigerator with the coils on top... I do have a friend that keeps his in the shop... coldest beer in town... soon to be a 100 years old... from a time when having a refrigerator was akin to being a Rockefeller... well almost!

My flip toaster works great... it came with my 1922 house... found it in the closet top shelf...

Old 08-07-2018, 01:31 AM

24,125 posts, read 32,504,304 times
Our Hamilton Beach Malt Mixer in Jadite green. We think it's over 60 years old. Runs like a dream.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:29 AM

765 posts, read 474,322 times
yeppers, gotta admit to still using my 1988 Whirlpool washer..... yeah i look longingly every now and then when i enter a Lowe's Home Center, eyeing all those new washers with 15 different assortments of cycles and water temps and energy efficiency. Even have been known to salivate profusely, break out in a cold sweat from the temptation. I admit it. I lust after new shiny things.

mine only has regular and delicate and you can't switch the water temperature at all unless you run like hell when you set your kitchen timer to go off a minute before the rinse cycle, move the dial from the HOT/15 minute cycle to the COLD/5 minute cycle so i'm not wasting hot water on a rinse cycle. lol. NOPE, NOT GONNA GO THAT PRE-EMPTIVE ROUTE AT ALL, all my things die an often ignominious death, all dented, scratched, discolored and unfashionably energy inefficient.... JUST LIKE ME and how i'll end up in that crematorium!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House