Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 02:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Whoo hoo! I have worked it down to 132 broken things i need to fix. Stress free life is here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 06:52 PM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Our furnace was installed in 1986 and the water heater the year after. Clearly they were made to last however we've been warned that when the furnace breaks down they no longer make parts for it. It's functioning fine now but I'd rather replace it BEFORE it breaks down on New Years Eve and it's 20 below. The water heater I'm a little more willing to live dangerously.
My furnace is also from the mid-late 80s, but I'm on my third water heater. Trust me, a leaking one sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Whoo hoo! I have worked it down to 132 broken things i need to fix. Stress free life is here.
I just made 2 holes in my living room wall, to uncover the original light locations that I saw in a pic. I had a few misses but I now don't have any stress wondering if those holes are actually there

Old 11-16-2018, 02:22 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
I bought a house 6 months ago and I struggle to figure out my answers to these questions. I do agree that you shouldn't neglect important maintenance issues, but how much if any money should you spend on nonfunctional/cosmetic updates? Part of me thinks people who find meaning and purpose in life wouldn't worry about cosmetics. That said, I'm a single guy in his 30s and my house (which I love overall) has pinkish/peach tile in the main bathroom's walls and the floor. I don't like it but I've lived 6 months here without it affecting my day-to-day life. Is replacing that just silly cosmetic work? Do I want a pink bathroom for the next 30 years?

Maybe there has to be balance between extravagant updating and complete disregard for cosmetics. Or maybe the key to a fulfilling life is to not care at all about that superficial stuff. Part of me thinks, "If I'm going to indulge on bathroom updates, then as might as well knock down the kitchen-dining room wall too and add an island and backsplash." And then one remodeling task leads to another.

So I don't really know what the answers are, but I think this is a great thread. It hits a lot of questions I ask myself.
I think if you're renting, honestly who cares, you focus on function over cosmetics unless you can find both at your budget range. No big deal, really. But I wouldn't want to live long term in a house that I didn't find just about perfect, which to me means either new or updated completely, modern, no imperfections, and if there become over the years imperfections, you just pay someone to fix them or start remodeling. It doesn't need to be some big stressful thing, there are people who do this. You pick up the phone, make a few phone calls, and get it taken care of. Easy peasy.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:30 AM

561 posts, read 324,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
But I wouldn't want to live long term in a house that I didn't find just about perfect, which to me means either new or updated completely, modern, no imperfections, and if there become over the years imperfections, you just pay someone to fix them or start remodeling. It doesn't need to be some big stressful thing, there are people who do this. You pick up the phone, make a few phone calls, and get it taken care of. Easy peasy.

Everyone has a different definition of perfect. To some it means modern and updated while to others it could very well mean a little worn and rough around the edges. When my finances were bad and I thought home ownership would never be within reach I used to drive by worn down houses and think that those people didn't love their house and didn't deserve such a treasure. Now that I'm older I realize that those houses that look worn down from the outside might be filled to the brim with warmth and love on the inside. That person might not see the peeling paint on the window trim but might instead see the light coming from inside as their loved ones prepare dinner or the chalked drawings and hopscotch board instead of the cracks in the sidewalk. Also your last comment of simply picking up the phone and just getting someone to take care of fixing or remodeling clearly puts you at a different income level and mind set of a lot of people that I know. It's all easy peasy until the bill comes and the mortgage is also due. I'm happy for you if it is indeed that easy but unfortunately some people have to make due with keeping a leaky roof over their head because the other option is no roof at all.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:11 PM

12,547 posts, read 9,932,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
I think if you're renting, honestly who cares, you focus on function over cosmetics unless you can find both at your budget range. No big deal, really. But I wouldn't want to live long term in a house that I didn't find just about perfect, which to me means either new or updated completely, modern, no imperfections, and if there become over the years imperfections, you just pay someone to fix them or start remodeling. It doesn't need to be some big stressful thing, there are people who do this. You pick up the phone, make a few phone calls, and get it taken care of. Easy peasy.
Personally I find “perfection” stressful to maintain and in a sense less homey/comfortable. If money isn’t an issue and you don’t have kids/pets maybe it can be done. I’d rather not go out of my way to maintain perfection.

Take my car for example - I used to want it perfect, but once I got over superficial stuff like having some wear/dents/scratches it was like a burden lifted off me. I like my care MORE now. That stuff can worry you enough to keep fixing things or you can just accept that wear and tear is a natural thing and not nessecarily bad or unattractive. Why should I really care if people see my imperfect possessions? My body and face also age, but I don’t think I’ll care to maintain the “perfect” look of a 25 yr old at age 50...there’s nothing wrong with looking 50.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcahacker View Post
Everyone has a different definition of perfect. To some it means modern and updated while to others it could very well mean a little worn and rough around the edges. When my finances were bad and I thought home ownership would never be within reach I used to drive by worn down houses and think that those people didn't love their house and didn't deserve such a treasure. Now that I'm older I realize that those houses that look worn down from the outside might be filled to the brim with warmth and love on the inside. That person might not see the peeling paint on the window trim but might instead see the light coming from inside as their loved ones prepare dinner or the chalked drawings and hopscotch board instead of the cracks in the sidewalk. Also your last comment of simply picking up the phone and just getting someone to take care of fixing or remodeling clearly puts you at a different income level and mind set of a lot of people that I know. It's all easy peasy until the bill comes and the mortgage is also due. I'm happy for you if it is indeed that easy but unfortunately some people have to make due with keeping a leaky roof over their head because the other option is no roof at all.
It’s pretty cool how you can develop a different perspective on things over time. I was looking at someone’s old hardwood floors a few days ago - when I was younger I might have simply seen a floor that didn’t look shiny and new. Yuck. Now I see a floor that’s still perfectly functional, comfortable, can be run on with shoes, furniture can be scooted without much worry, kids and pets can play freely, etc. I’d rather live happy and “free” on the floor with wear rather than trying to maintain perpetual perfection on the floor that looks new.

But yeah, I agree that the interactions, happiness and memories made within a home are way more important than the look of the home.

Last edited by eddiehaskell; 11-16-2018 at 04:49 PM..

Old 11-16-2018, 04:51 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Eddie, what gives you the impression that most people live in "perfectly kept" homes? Every homeowner has a list of things that need repaired or updated. Of the things you've listed, I can find plenty of examples around my house. Here's a brief list of the things that need attention in my house right now...

Dinged door jams? Check.
Cracked floor tiles? Check.
Chipped paint? Check.
Rotting fence posts? Check.
Old, leaky windows? Check.
Plumbing issues? Check
Cracked driveway? Check.
Nail pops? Check.

Owning a home takes a lot of time, money, and energy. It's a Sisyphean task to keep one in showcase condition. For every task completed, two more pop up, and it doesn't matter if the house in question is a $50k fixer-upper or a million-dollar estate.

Honestly, while I admire their taste I chuckle over the women who talk endlessly about their latest interior design adventures in the decorating forum. It's not that my forty-year-old house is shabby, but I'm a lot more worried about keeping the plumbing in working order than finding fashionable throw pillows for my couch.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Eddie, what gives you the impression that most people live in "perfectly kept" homes? Every homeowner has a list of things that need repaired or updated. Of the things you've listed, I can find plenty of examples around my house. Here's a brief list of the things that need attention in my house right now...

Dinged door jams? Check.
Cracked floor tiles? Check.
Chipped paint? Check.
Rotting fence posts? Check.
Old, leaky windows? Check.
Plumbing issues? Check
Cracked driveway? Check.
Nail pops? Check.

Owning a home takes a lot of time, money, and energy. It's a Sisyphean task to keep one in showcase condition. For every task completed, two more pop up, and it doesn't matter if the house in question is a $50k fixer-upper or a million-dollar estate.

Honestly, while I admire their taste I chuckle over the women who talk endlessly about their latest interior design adventures in the decorating forum. It's not that my forty-year-old house is shabby, but I'm a lot more worried about keeping the plumbing in working order than finding fashionable throw pillows for my couch.
I don’t believe most people live in perfectly kept homes...maybe some that strive for that or spend a lot of time keeping things “updated” and/or decorated in a certain manner. I’m sorta more impressed by the people who don’t worry about “stuff”...the types who wouldn’t have a clue why something like a popcorn ceiling “has gotta go”. Most likely people that have never watched HGTV.

Old 11-16-2018, 05:33 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I don’t believe most people live in perfectly kept homes...maybe some that strive for that or spend a lot of time keeping things “updated” and/or decorated in a certain manner. I’m sorta more impressed by the people who don’t worry about “stuff”...the types who wouldn’t have a clue why something like a popcorn ceiling “has gotta go”. Most likely people that have never watched HGTV.
Ah, yes, the popcorn ceiling. My house has one of those, too. I have no intention of removing it. Not only would it be an unnecessary expense, but it would create an enormous mess, and I have other issues, some of which are listed above, to address.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:45 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,939,373 times
Default People that happily live in dated “not perfect” homes...lower stress life?

I live in a dated but perfect 1965 ranch home. Well, perfect for ME - - HGTV would probably hate it but I am in my own little version of paradise.

I'm dated too, after all. ha ha! 70 years old, so I turned 17 the year my house was built.

I could afford renovations, but do not have any planned because I have zero desire to change anything about my house at all. Every morning when I awaken here, I feel so lucky to be in the perfect house for me. I lead a very low stress life and feel extremely content.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House