Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 11:51 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,724 times

Advertisements

We are moving into new construction with Whirlpool appliances. I'm looking for a good quality stainless steel refrigerator that won't give me problems in 2 years. I went through a nightmare with a new Samsung refrigerator a few years ago so I'll stay away from them. I've been looking at LG SmartView and a few Whirlpool French Door with Finger resistant. I like the LG style and it has good reviews but I also want to go with Whirlpool print so all the appliance handles and steel finishes will match. Any thoughts on Whirlpool and LG refrigerators?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 11:58 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
All of them are bad for reliability these days. Drives me crazy. This months Consumer Reports has a great article on appliance reliability. I don’t remember what it said but you might read it for recommendations. Jay

Old 07-10-2019, 01:06 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Thoughts? Yes, I have some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
Any thoughts on ... LG refrigerators?
LG is notorious for not stocking parts in the USA.
This can mean weeks to repair; even under warranty.

LG is notorious for not building enough parts to make repairs over the long haul feasible.
Our LG washer died after 7 years.
The local authorized LG repair shop said: "can't get parts, buy a new washer".

Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I think Samsung with French Door (no ice maker - they ARE trouble makers) is a very reliable appliance.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I think Samsung with French Door (no ice maker - they ARE trouble makers) is a very reliable appliance.
Have about ten years on one. No problems.

Ice makers are fairly easy/cheap to fix on most models with a little ability.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
I bought Whirlpool appliances in my last house and liked them. In my current house I bought Kenmore -- I do not recommended them. I swear my stove takes twice as long as it should to boil water.

When I moved into current house, the previous owner bought a new GE refrigerator. It lasted 4 years. I replaced it last summer with a Whirlpool. So far so good.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:28 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
In the Shopping/Product Review section there is also this thread. Not sure what it adds, but it's more discussion for you. I am in the market for a new refrigerator (current one works ok - a Kenmore) as we will be remodeling and I know that I will soon be needing a new fridge. We moved here last summer and the fridge is I think about 5 or 6 years old. No issues with it, but I think the wisdom is that the newer fridges time line is about 8-10 years......
http://www.city-data.com/forum/produ...need-help.html

Old 07-11-2019, 05:50 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,194,222 times
I have looked under consumer affairs and to be honest its a hit or a miss. LG seems to have problems with compressors. I like the LG smart View. I am also purchasing new appliances and decided to go with Kitchen aid. I had Jenn-Air and never had a problem in 14 years. Home Depot use to sell Jenn-Air. I wanted to buy my appliances locally, but couldn't find what I wanted. I wish you luck in choosing your new refrigerator. I never buy service plans but with the complaints on refrigerators I just may this time.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
We have two fridges - a Whirlpool that is about 8 years old (French doors) and a new Samsung w French doors and the touchpad on the front that looks like a giant phone. It's about 2 months old. So far so good on both. On both fridges (the Whirlpool is now in the garage) we got the stainless steel finish that is sort of "fingerprint proof" and it looks and works fine.

I like that I can upload family photos that rotate out constantly, and that I can pull up the internet on that screen and have a big recipe right there at my fingertips, and that the calendar syncs with my phone calendar. There's also a "white board" where I can write big notes with my finger - I use that more than I thought I would. And finally, for fun, it syncs your music app as well - I have Amazon and Pandora and both are on the screen and the speakers sound surprisingly good! It was fairly easy to set up though I did end up calling Samsung about some sort of calendar issue.

The ice maker and water thingie work fine so far. My only complaint is that the interior is smaller than my Whirlpool - it's not tiny but it is smaller. But that's really OK - I didn't need all that space anyway and the space in the doors is larger and holds more and is really nice. I like the divided drawer under the fruit and veggie drawers because I like keeping meat away from other stuff.

Old 07-11-2019, 07:41 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
I have an LG French door that will be 9 years old next month. It has an icemaker but no ice or water in the door. No problems whatsoever.

I’ve got a Kenmore top freezer out in the garage that is probably 15 - 20 years old. No problems with that one, either, but they don’t make Kenmores like they used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House