U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-17-2019, 12:23 PM
 
26,536 posts, read 33,569,913 times
Reputation: 33369

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
We’re about to replace our roof. The contractor is well know and very much liked and recommended in our area. They use GAF Timberland HD 4tab architectural shingles and are master installers for that brand (which extends the warranty to 50 years). Anybody know this brand and have any opinions or experiences with them? We’re wanting to change from “weathered wood” to “charcoal”. The roof is 20 years old and has several areas of wind and hail damage. Insurance says they can’t repair because the current shingles aren’t made anymore (size difference) so it’s a total replace instead! I’m good with that idea!
I just had a new roof put on last fall. Timberline architectural shingles. They are very well-rated. Pretty much every roofing company here uses either Timberline GAF) or Certainteed Landmark. Both are excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-18-2019, 05:52 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,325 posts, read 1,940,531 times
Reputation: 3610
Thanks ChessieMom, same around here as well, GAF or Certainteed. I liked the version of pewter better from C’teed, but understand the warranty process if you need it isn’t nearly as good as it is with GAF, and our guys were master installers for GAF only, which extended the warranty to 50 years and is transferable when we do decide to sell this house some day. So I went with GAF instead, but think they’re both on par with each other. 8 guys did the house yesterday start to finish, sun rise to sunset. And not a nail to be found on the ground. We’re impressed!

I’ll put up some before/after photos later on. I’ve not yet had a chance to see it all in the daylight - long day in the office yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2019, 10:54 AM
 
26,536 posts, read 33,569,913 times
Reputation: 33369
Great! Mine was painless as well. I used an excellent company - I did not want to take any chances with something as important as the roof!! I chose Fox Hollow Gray and I am very happy with it. The company was there from 7am until 8:30 that night. They did an excellent job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2019, 10:41 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,325 posts, read 1,940,531 times
Reputation: 3610
So here is a before / after from when we started on the outside this past February, and ended for the year this week. MANY THANKS to all of you who helped me get over a few learning curves on what I was trying to figure out, especially the garage doors, which we (and all of our neighbors) love. That insulating factor is real too (r13). Go to bed, it’s 80 in the garage. Wake up in the morning, it’s 50 outside, 78 in the garage. Love it!

These show the before/after on the roof color. Before is a 19 year old “weathered wood” with a repair piece from two years ago in the middle of the roof. After is Pewter Grey.

Other changes are the trees around the basketball goal. Used to be 3 crape myrtles, now several green giant arborvitaes that will give us more privacy for our back yard and help to hide the side parking spot from the street view (we’re a corner lot with house footprint offset by approximately 45 degrees). Liked the crape myrtles, but wanted 12 month privacy instead of 4 months.

2019 is done. 2020 will see HVAC, windows and bathroom work.
Attached Thumbnails
New roof advice needed-da28906c-537e-43d7-86bc-9d92d1a38c40.jpeg   New roof advice needed-d1e31c83-1022-4b7d-95f6-c3b59a445379.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2019, 12:57 PM
 
5,793 posts, read 3,759,038 times
Reputation: 5640
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Thanks ChessieMom, same around here as well, GAF or Certainteed. I liked the version of pewter better from C’teed, but understand the warranty process if you need it isn’t nearly as good as it is with GAF, and our guys were master installers for GAF only, which extended the warranty to 50 years and is transferable when we do decide to sell this house some day. So I went with GAF instead, but think they’re both on par with each other. 8 guys did the house yesterday start to finish, sun rise to sunset. And not a nail to be found on the ground. We’re impressed!

I’ll put up some before/after photos later on. I’ve not yet had a chance to see it all in the daylight - long day in the office yesterday.

The 50 years covers manufacturer defects.


The roof will hit it's natural lifetime end in 20-25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2019, 06:37 AM
 
Location: D.C.
2,325 posts, read 1,940,531 times
Reputation: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
The 50 years covers manufacturer defects.


The roof will hit it's natural lifetime end in 20-25.
Yeah I agree, and makes sense as many that are being replaced around here are 20 with about 5-10 left on them at best. The amount of rotten sheathing that is coming off of these roofs is a bit disturbing, including ours. Nobody had the water barrier installed back then because it wasn’t code. Now it is code around here to have it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:05 PM
 
26,536 posts, read 33,569,913 times
Reputation: 33369
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Yeah I agree, and makes sense as many that are being replaced around here are 20 with about 5-10 left on them at best. The amount of rotten sheathing that is coming off of these roofs is a bit disturbing, including ours. Nobody had the water barrier installed back then because it wasn’t code. Now it is code around here to have it.
I was happily surprised at the shape of the sheathing on my 25 year old roof. They only had to replace a single sheet of plywood - a small section maybe 6" square had started to rot near a vent. That was it. They said it made a huge difference in the time they spent (they had told me it would probably be 1.5 days) so I guess my old roof was done right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top