Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2020, 09:45 AM

3,346 posts, read 2,230,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
...perhaps it’s the dryer itself.
Nobody came up with that one!
Oh, now you're just being silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2020, 09:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,871 posts, read 81,907,203 times
Tell her not to use the dryer until this is fixed. If in fact that vent is clogged, it will burn out the thermal sensor and/or the heating coils, if electric. The thermal sensor alone with labor is several hundred to fix.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:23 PM

484 posts, read 359,940 times
She could always purchase a modern ventless dryer with an inverter. They have a lot of advantages over the traditional dryers. One being no need for the exhaust vent. Another being energy savings. They also put a lot less wear on the clothes. The only disadvantage is that they are a bit slower.

Samsung has a really good deal on one right now!

Old 08-21-2020, 08:44 PM

22,145 posts, read 33,760,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenrr View Post
My friend owns a condo. She hasn't lived there for a few years but every 2 years for 32 years, she gets the exhaust pipe cleaned.
(don't know what it is called- the pipe that goes from the dryer to the outside.)

this time the guy from the company says no air is coming out of the dryer when it is turned on, so they must dig thru the wall to see what is up.

Of course my friend will get other opinions. I suggested she ask other people who live in the development if this has ever happened to them. Also to ask the Management - sometimes they will recommend a company.

I just wondered if anyone here has any opinion or experience with this.

Thank you!

ellen
Pull the dryer away from the wall.

See if the dryer vent is unhooked at th back of the dryer or the wall connection. The duct may be kinked.

If that’s good check to see if the flex duct at the dryer is clogged if it isn’t check just inside the connection at the wall or floor (wherever it is.)

If it’s not clogged there get a dryercduct cleaning tool. Looks like a fish tape with a brush head. Shove that in there and it should get past he clog. Shove it to go through then attach the brush head and pull it back. The brush head will catch the lint clog

Old 08-21-2020, 11:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,428,934 times
I agree with M3 Mitch

Old 08-22-2020, 04:22 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,752,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Pull the dryer away from the wall.

See if the dryer vent is unhooked at th back of the dryer or the wall connection. The duct may be kinked.

If that’s good check to see if the flex duct at the dryer is clogged if it isn’t check just inside the connection at the wall or floor (wherever it is.)

If it’s not clogged there get a dryercduct cleaning tool. Looks like a fish tape with a brush head. Shove that in there and it should get past he clog. Shove it to go through then attach the brush head and pull it back. The brush head will catch the lint clog
Some homes may have roof vents. She may also want to check that it isn’t unhooked somewhere in the attic. Apparently my mom had one blowing out into the attic for years.

Old 08-22-2020, 04:52 AM

4,293 posts, read 2,600,602 times
She can just snake it. On the outside, there are vent covers which have a screen that is like plastic hardware cloth that pulls out. If her duct isn't smooth, its more likely to get clogged. If it was working and now its not, there is no reason to open the wall. If it is not venting, don't use it; vent fires are a major cause of home fires.

Old 08-22-2020, 12:03 PM

11,249 posts, read 9,876,885 times
Check both the inside end of the vent pipe, and find where it runs to on the outside. There is usually a little metal vent hood about 6 inches across where it comes out, and inside that little hood is a flap that keeps the cold air and varmints out. Be sure that the flap opens freely, and that there is no blockage in the pipe. I checked the vent for a friend and found it had been hit by someone mowing the lawn and that the flap couldn't open until we bent the little vent hood back into shape. Another time I found plastic army men and a matchbox car shoved in the vent from the outside which had collected a huge ball of lint on them and blocked the vent.

Since this is a condo, I would imagine she is only responsible for her end of the vent inside her unit, and the association is responsible for beyond that point. She can turn in a maintenance request for her vent to be checked/cleaned.

Old 08-24-2020, 10:27 AM

10,448 posts, read 7,052,773 times
No air coming out the vent? Sounds like the dryer had a stroke. Strokes can cause fires though. Get it cleaned out, pronto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House