Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2020, 12:02 PM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I never once heard of anyone around here having a gas explosion.

Just a few blocks from us a couple weeks ago, we had this happen:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...2-e7d99b2915e1

This one took out 3 homes, and damaged dozens of others in the explosion.

While not common, it happens more than enough to warrant concern.

And this past weekend, this happened:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/11...y-long-island/

If you've never heard of a gas explosion, you've been pretty sheltered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2020, 12:35 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
My thoughts are that a lot of us prefer the type of cooking we grew up with because that's what we're familiar with and used to.. I grew up with electric and when we lived in a place with gas, I burned a lot of food because I was used to a delay in the burner getting hot, whereas gas is instantaneous. You definitely need to adapt your cooking style! Since then, we've built 3 homes and I always opted for electric, even when we had natural gas in the house.

While I love my current electric cooktop, the upkeep is brutal, as it has a glossy, almost mirror finish. I personally found the gas burners a bear to keep looking clean and have always been a little nervous with gas. Love my electric ovens with convection.
I had electric goring up and in the first several places I rented. Then we rented a place with a gas stove and was sold. OUr next rental had electric and I did nto like it anymore, then when we bought our first house, it also had electric. As soon as practical I crawled under the house and put in gas lines o switch to gas.

OTOH electric ovens are considerably better. Gas ovens do not brown things well and they produce excessive moisture. THe ideal is a gas stove with an electric oven. A convection oven is even better.

Old 11-03-2020, 12:46 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
My preferred cooktops are induction first, or gas. I hope to never have to use an electric smooth top or coil burners again.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:05 PM

4,927 posts, read 5,317,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
My preferred cooktops are induction first, or gas. I hope to never have to use an electric smooth top or coil burners again.
Amen!

Old 11-03-2020, 01:05 PM

7,241 posts, read 4,553,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
An acquaintance stepped away from the fry pan to take a brief phone call, the pan caught fire, the house burned down. She was preparing a holiday meal. Some holiday.
Someone recently just died in my area from lighting himself on fire with gas -- not sure how it happened but he was 26 and the assumption is that he caught his clothing on the flame.

Old 11-03-2020, 01:48 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Just a few blocks from us a couple weeks ago, we had this happen:

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/l...2-e7d99b2915e1

This one took out 3 homes, and damaged dozens of others in the explosion.

While not common, it happens more than enough to warrant concern.

And this past weekend, this happened:

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/11...y-long-island/

If you've never heard of a gas explosion, you've been pretty sheltered.
Neither of those ad anything to do with the stove. Most gas explosions have to do with the municipal lines that run through a property. That means that you may not even have gas lines in your house, but you can still be victim to a gas explosion.

Electrical fires happen all the time too.

Old 11-03-2020, 02:49 PM

3,074 posts, read 8,026,322 times
I can cook on either gas or electric with no trouble. Electric is cleaner, but gas gives you more variation in heat. I don't have a strong preference. Would like to experience an induction stove.

Old 11-03-2020, 03:36 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,007,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I grew up with gas ranges and I remember the flame bursting out whenever you turned it on. I've always viewed gas as being unsafe.

The gas cooktop we have now does that same thing with one of the burners.

I don't like gas and would have preferred electric, but that's what came with the house.
You can arrange to get rid of the gas stove (assuming you own the house) and put in an electric one. It involves closing off the gas line to the stove, then putting a plug in that can handle the needs of the electric stove.

Old 11-04-2020, 04:06 AM

3,798 posts, read 2,326,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Neither of those ad anything to do with the stove. Most gas explosions have to do with the municipal lines that run through a property. That means that you may not even have gas lines in your house, but you can still be victim to a gas explosion.

Electrical fires happen all the time too.

So what if it's the line or the stove? If you have gas, you have the possibility of an explosion. And electrical fires are easier to put out. They don't usually take down an entire city block. I don't HAVE a gas line, so I wont HAVE an explosion taking out my neighborhood.

The point was, the person I was responding to had never heard of it. Which is just silly in this day and age.

Old 11-04-2020, 07:50 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
So what if it's the line or the stove? If you have gas, you have the possibility of an explosion. And electrical fires are easier to put out. They don't usually take down an entire city block. I don't HAVE a gas line, so I wont HAVE an explosion taking out my neighborhood.

The point was, the person I was responding to had never heard of it. Which is just silly in this day and age.
My point was eve if you DON'T have gas in your house, you can still be victim of a gas explosion. The municipal lines run underground even if they don't run to your house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House