Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 10:46 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times

Advertisements

Wondering if any homeowners here have had experience with various siding options like fiber cement faux wood finish type siding boards, cedar batten board, cedar siding board, or cedar shingles.
My situation is a 1921 craftsman house with very old wooden siding that's outlived it's useful life. There appears to be dry rot in some areas, and to replace it with what was pre existing gets costly but will it be worth it? I'd like to stay in character with the house, but the neighborhood is split between taking an old house and making it look like new construction with vinyl siding (I'd rather not go that way) next to ones that have been historically true (mansard style and craftsman next door have repointed brick).

The style I'm aiming for is to keep it on the rustic side, less fussy. Oriental zen direction could work too. The roof is a steep pitch with a wide dormer (1.5 story), asphalt shingle the previous owner installed is 2 yrs old. I'd have prefered standing seam metal roof in a hunter green & will likely go that way eventually once the asphalt ages and the interior projects are completed. It's got a brick foundation that's barely visible on the sides of the house with textured firebrick chimney on northern exposure. Exterior lighting I'll either go wrought iron or hammered copper (dirk van erp style). Transoms and windows I'm considering some modest stained glass accents. I plan on adding some river stone veneer accents to the front of the house. Perhaps the whole front ground level on the porch, perhaps just vertical cornerstones on the building and the columns holding the porch roof up. The original porch floor needs replacement, and wood lasted well, but I'm open to other options like slate for value/durability. Porch ceiling has beadboard oak holding up well. The front of the house has a western exposure and the winds are prevailing westerly. Rainy Mtn setting on slopes of WV.

I was advised by the local handymen to just cover over the old wood with new vinyl, not bother to remove the old, but I'd like to get access to the plaster walls to inspect the frame more and insulate them better. (I'm also thinking it might be termite food to leave it, and might be better recycled into fencing for the backyard). My ideas for insullation were along the lines of preventive boric acid dusting and blown cellulose or rice hull. The blown synthetic foam concerns me re: outgassing and longevity. Foams I've used on spot projects at my job to close up pipes where insects were a nuisance tended to ATTRACT wasps, & didn't fare well with temp fluctuations by shrinking and getting brittle. To be fair I'll admit these were external exposures. I plan on insulating under the siding with perhaps fan fold, but I need a better R value than 1.5 .

1. longevity of materials- which are better value for siding? Some maint. is ok if it means I can prolong its life indefinately.

2. what order should I be doing the stone work and siding work?

3. is there a website on historic character thats more informative vs the sales pitch for accessories sites I've come across? This was the best I could find with google:
http://starcraftcustombuilders.com/A...sAndCrafts.htm
I'm getting the idea that craftsman was so diverse, that siding options aren't the limited color/material choices that an architectural style like colonial was in new england. WV is neither north nor south nor midwest nor any coast. It's switzerland, being fluent in german, french, russian and italian. melting pot of regional influences as it were.

4. insullation options for better performance?

5. any other suggestions I haven't considered for this project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 11:12 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
we have hardie board siding on our house now. We had the previous aluminum siding removed. The hardie board would look good for your craftsman home. We have a new subdivision with some craftsman inspired homes and they are using hardie board on them. they look good.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgresident View Post
we have hardie board siding on our house now. We had the previous aluminum siding removed. The hardie board would look good for your craftsman home. We have a new subdivision with some craftsman inspired homes and they are using hardie board on them. they look good.
ty. I'll google that for pricing and color options.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,248,019 times
Hardie plank is great! We have it on our vacation home and love it. We are on salt water and the siding is tough as nails!

Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
If you do a web search using the terms "hardiplank" and "historic" you will come up with a number of hits regarding its use in historic districts. The strict ones often say no, but many others say yes.

I think it's an awesome product. If you have the option to use the smooth side vs. the wood textured side, use the smooth because it looks more realistic.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:16 PM

I just found a nifty search tool for hardie board installers- servicemagic.com pre screens contractors in your area and I should get email contact when they're available.

ellie I don't have HOA to deal with, so I'm lucky that way. It's the honor system in this neighborhood, so I'm trying to do the right thing as best I can.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:45 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
Hooray for you for preserving the original character of your home. *applause* I lived in a similar neighborhood, and mine was the only house left on the street that still had its original wood siding (in good shape, thank goodness) -- all the others had been vinyl-ed up.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:14 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,654,480 times
Oh yeah! Looks like the vinyl is out! It breaks my heart to see a quaint home dressed up in synthetic material like a prom queen in polyester. It's just NOT done!

I think the hardie board and maybe some cedar shingles on the gable ends and/or porch? The cedar color would be beautiful against the hunter green roof and bricks. I have cedar shingles/shakes on a small laundry room addition that looks very cute and hope to address the porch and gable ends this summer. It's about $200-250 per square so I don't think I would do the entire home. My house will eventually be a teensy craftsman poser lol

Looks like you have everything else covered. I like the way you think! Oh, some pics would be lovely too

Old 05-09-2008, 02:36 PM

Pics- I'm better with words than I am that gosh darned digital camera gizmo! lol

Definately need to do it for documenting the progress (resale value and insurance purpose alike) so when I master that skill I'll try to translate it to the thread.

I saw pricing for cedar shingles "$303 per square" I was like- one shingle is $303???? YIKES! That would've made my tree fort as a kid a fort knox with gold walls.

Hardie board comes with a 30 yr warranty, which is sounding very promising.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:04 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Most of the newer beach homes in my area are being built with Hardie-Board exteriors. It is salt resistant and also stands up to hurricane winds better than vinyl. IMO it looks very similar to wood, so I think it would look good on an older home too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House