Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 06:40 AM

539 posts, read 241,373 times

Advertisements

wow I was quoted ten thousand dollars to re do one bathroom I have two in this house and im only here for another 5 yrs . Im not plunking down ten k at this stage in my life . Im ready to retire and not do one more single solitary thing to this house . I replaced the windows 6 yrs ago when I moved in and that cost 30 k yes I know i got ripped off but could not do the work on my own and my husband cant do that kind of work either so what choice do you have when you have to rely on others ? so if you can do the work yourself op then do it if not then you will have to pay through the nose to get it done /. good luck either way .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2021, 10:41 AM

1,047 posts, read 726,727 times
My s/o did it with deep interest knowing he would sell. If op got a family member and they had no skin in the game they may not do it as well.
His background is law and realtor years ago..... Just watched YouTube. He doesn't go to gym. Golf is all he does. Natrualy thin. It doesn't take a hardcore buff blue collar guy. Op may he single or her husband just thinks he can't. The yt guys really make it seem simple and communicate well.
Yes, 10k is crazy. We have fancy vanities, multiple lights, rain showers, hand wand, two different types of tile all over and new floors. It cost him time and labor but those items are not expensive. I'll ask later what he spent.

Old 07-17-2021, 03:02 PM

10,905 posts, read 7,397,769 times
You expect to stay 7-10 more years. You think an investor might buy it.

Sounds like you should please yourself, and not expect it to affect resale value (whatever changes you make, some buyers will love and others hate).…
How much are you willing to pay per year for a nicer shower? $1000? $500? Set your remodel budget accordingly.

Old 07-17-2021, 04:50 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
I would definitely renovate. First, 7 to 10 years that you expect to be there is a long time. I love my beautiful master bath, and yes, it makes me feel good to shower in there, the same way a nice, spa like bath when I travel does.

Second, it sounds like things are starting to deteriorate anyway. Which mean that with another 7 to 10 years of use, you would probably have to do some work before trying to sell down the road, unless you were selling as a fixer upper at that point. Put the money into it now, while YOU are the one who gets to enjoy it for the next several years, instead of putting it in when you are getting ready to move out.

Old 07-18-2021, 12:39 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Yes I would renovate it. I would convert it into a shower with multiple showerheads and a frameless shower door. Go with white tile in a classic but larger format with a simple accent color. I suggest fixtures in either polished chrome or polished nickel. Put in a niche for the things you need in there.

Floor tile in a gray as it is pretty neutral.

White double undermount sinks in a wood colored, furniture look vanity with a nice solid surface counter and single hole faucets will give you the space and storage you need and the ability to paint it in the future.

I'd go with a white one piece toilet that is easy to clean, maybe with a bidet seat.

A couple of points:

what you have in there is dated and you don't like it
when you do sell, it'll be a strike against the unit
everything you do doesn't have to be for resale - if you want a nicer bathroom, do it
I suggest white, grey, chrome as they are classic and non-offensive finishes - add color with towels and accessories.
I find grey extremely offensive especially now that so many people want to put it everywhere. It will forever be known as the "pandemic era" color. Nothing "classic" about it at all except in the navy.

Old 07-18-2021, 06:05 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I find grey extremely offensive especially now that so many people want to put it everywhere. It will forever be known as the "pandemic era" color. Nothing "classic" about it at all except in the navy.
I will admit that it is used heavily but it has been a go to color for years if a neutral finish is desired. There is a range of grays that go from blue to beige so it's not a monolithic color.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:05 PM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,532,164 times
As someone who was raised in a house with an AVOCADO GREEN kitchen, a BLUE bathroom (kids) and YELLOW bathroom (parents) and who has stared at eggshell walls for more decades than I care to count, I welcome grey.

I appreciate all of your input. I will likely renovate...possibly as a DIY (after deep research and YouTubing). The kitchen needs a complete overhaul, too, but that will be a few years out. I rarely cook, so I'm not as bothered by it.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:00 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,130,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
As someone who was raised in a house with an AVOCADO GREEN kitchen, a BLUE bathroom (kids) and YELLOW bathroom (parents) and who has stared at eggshell walls for more decades than I care to count, I welcome grey.

I appreciate all of your input. I will likely renovate...possibly as a DIY (after deep research and YouTubing). The kitchen needs a complete overhaul, too, but that will be a few years out. I rarely cook, so I'm not as bothered by it.
Listen to fly-me, anyone can learn to do home repairs and improvements. YouTube is great for learning. If you live in an area where upgrades are expensive, it’s worth taking time to learn.

When we moved here, quotes for simple tile jobs ran into the thousands. We were shocked at how much they wanted. It’s a skill we already knew, so spouse bought a tile saw and we got to work. I did most of the tiling and in two showers and three bathroom floors, you can’t tell my work from someone who makes his living tiling. If a tile is not even, I take the time to pop it out and redo it. Doing a neat job is all that matters. We’re both office people, and if we learned, anyone can.

Old 07-19-2021, 01:07 AM

44,633 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Renovate it to ease your mental state. The cost will be recuperated with inflated rising prices in 7-10 years.

Old 07-19-2021, 03:56 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
As an alternative to DIY, ask around a get recommendations for contractors.

Find those who do a quality job at a reasonable cost and be flexible about time.

As to whether you'll get your money back in 7 - 10 years -- Who knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House