Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2021, 10:21 AM
ERH ERH started this thread

1,700 posts, read 2,532,164 times

Advertisements

Bathtub/Shower

We purchased a townhome in 4/2020. This is not our forever home, but we will likely be here for another 7-10 years. I hate the standard-issue apartment tub/shower in the master bath, but the cost of having it redone is holding me back. Is this an investment that makes sense for resale, or should I put that $$ toward the mortgage instead and just suck it up?

While not guaranteed, it is likely that someone would buy the TH as a rental investment, if that makes any difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2021, 10:26 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
Bathtub/Shower

We purchased a townhome in 4/2020. This is not our forever home, but we will likely be here for another 7-10 years. I hate the standard-issue apartment tub/shower in the master bath, but the cost of having it redone is holding me back. Is this an investment that makes sense for resale, or should I put that $$ toward the mortgage instead and just suck it up?

While not guaranteed, it is likely that someone would buy the TH as a rental investment, if that makes any difference.
If you're going to be there 7-10 years and it's a vinyl tub/shower, personally I'd go ahead and redo it. It's a lot cheaper to renovate those units than the tile ones. You can get cultured marble tub surrounds or a walk-in shower with cultured marbled sides that would look sharp and be easy to clean as well. Just MHO.

Old 07-15-2021, 12:33 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Is this the master?

Is there another tub (hall bath or other on-suite)?

If master, I would strongly consider making it a shower. But I would have to do a lot of searching on what I would consider comp’s, and what they have as far as tub/shower(s)/combo’s. If it’s worth pulling the trigger- then it’s a matter of cost, material choices, etc.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:10 PM

I think it's an acrylic "slide in" unit installed in 2 big pieces, original to the property, which was built in 1998 or 1999. This is the (smallish) master bathroom; the 2nd bath is a standup shower, so this is the only tub.

If I were to renovate, it would be a shower only -- from what I've seen of the home improvement shows, the trend is to have a larger master bath with both a shower and soaking tub. This unit is on the narrow side with the toilet right beside it, so we don't have but maybe 2-3 inches more to expand the space.

Good point about the comps.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:22 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
Looks fine to me. Why do you want to change it? The molded construction minimizes leaks and dirty grout.

I mean, what are you planning to do in there? Me, I like to go in do my toilet business brush my teeth and take a shower. Is there something about what you've got there that's hindering that?

Old 07-15-2021, 03:24 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Can you turn it into a larger walk-in shower? You will be there long enough to enjoy it and (so far) there is a demand for those more spacious showers.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:30 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
This is the (smallish) master bathroom; the 2nd bath is a standup shower, so this is the only tub.

Keep it that way- you should always have at least one tub.

Old 07-15-2021, 03:43 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Keep it that way- you should always have at least one tub.
I agree there. Also, for my own tastes, I would just remove the glass doors, which are a pain to keep clean, and, if you sell to a family with kids, makes it tough to lean over to give them a bath.
Buy one of those curved shower curtain rods .... they allow extra space. If you love the 'clear' look, you can purchase clear shower curtains.

Old 07-15-2021, 07:20 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,030,489 times
Quote:
Bathtub/Shower

I’d update the tub/shower.. those doors are hideous and I couldn’t live with them for one month much less 7-10 years. The vanity and sinks seems to be in better shape.

Old 07-16-2021, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Looks fine to me. Why do you want to change it? The molded construction minimizes leaks and dirty grout.

I mean, what are you planning to do in there? Me, I like to go in do my toilet business brush my teeth and take a shower. Is there something about what you've got there that's hindering that?
From a practical perspective, yes, it's fully functional. My husband is happy to live with it as is.

As for me, I travel frequently and get to experience some nicer hotel bathrooms, so it's a pain to come home to this one. It's narrow, it crackles under my feet, and the finish is old and somewhat stained.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House