Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 09:28 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,433,072 times

Advertisements

If you want to update it, then update it. You're going to be there long enough to enjoy it. However, by removing the only tub in the whole house, you may very well negatively affect the value. If you keep the tub, or put a tub in the secondary bath, then you can mitigate that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 10:15 AM

3,320 posts, read 1,819,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Yes I would renovate it. I would convert it into a shower with multiple showerheads and a frameless shower door. Go with white tile in a classic but larger format with a simple accent color. I suggest fixtures in either polished chrome or polished nickel. Put in a niche for the things you need in there.

Floor tile in a gray as it is pretty neutral.

White double undermount sinks in a wood colored, furniture look vanity with a nice solid surface counter and single hole faucets will give you the space and storage you need and the ability to paint it in the future.

I'd go with a white one piece toilet that is easy to clean, maybe with a bidet seat.

A couple of points:

what you have in there is dated and you don't like it
when you do sell, it'll be a strike against the unit
everything you do doesn't have to be for resale - if you want a nicer bathroom, do it
I suggest white, grey, chrome as they are classic and non-offensive finishes - add color with towels and accessories.

..in spades.
And if you want a nice modern look, get a wall hung vanity with a solid surface top. I just did two bathrooms that were almost as bad as the picture.. put in two great showers, wall niches (don't make them small!)... a Toto washlet, simple overhead shower 'cause I'm a minimalist, hi-end fixtures, re-plumb to move controls, etc. etc.
Cost me $10+k and $13k (in SoFla) and there isn't a day that I don't love those bathrooms to death.
Life is short and uncertain.
Make a budget.
Then go for it

Old 07-19-2021, 10:19 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
I think what you've got is functional. Can it look better as in more like what you see on HGTV.... hmm, sure. As long as it isn't stained and moldy, I'm sure you can sell it just like this. But if you find it more enjoyable going into a fancier shower, then go for it.

Old 07-19-2021, 10:24 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,827,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penlady61 View Post
wow I was quoted ten thousand dollars to re do one bathroom I have two in this house and im only here for another 5 yrs . Im not plunking down ten k at this stage in my life .
That EXACTLY what my friend just paid for a full bathroom redo. It's a small size bath (like 2 persons can stand inside, that's it). No plumbing needed moving, just replacing toilet, sink / vanity, faucets, kept the tub but new tile inside and out and glass door. They bought the material for about 3K and labor was around 7K. They priced the labor and it was already lowest from this Asian contractor that his friend knew. Other contractors were much higher. Quality of the workmanship was very good (from what I saw). I only mention that it was an Asian because they tend to price lower than American counterpart.

Last edited by mmyk72; 07-19-2021 at 10:35 AM..

Old 07-19-2021, 12:23 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,845,423 times
Well, you can hate it every day you're there and then renovate before you sell because that is what your agent will recommend, or you can renovate now, enjoy it every day and sell it with the renovations when you're ready.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:09 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,460,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
As someone who was raised in a house with an AVOCADO GREEN kitchen, a BLUE bathroom (kids) and YELLOW bathroom (parents) and who has stared at eggshell walls for more decades than I care to count, I welcome grey.

I appreciate all of your input. I will likely renovate...possibly as a DIY (after deep research and YouTubing). The kitchen needs a complete overhaul, too, but that will be a few years out. I rarely cook, so I'm not as bothered by it.
The following article is less than two months old :

Why 1970s 'avocado green' is back for interiors

https://www.bbc.com/culture/article/...land-hideaways

Old 07-22-2021, 03:02 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Sorry, but not a fan of the slide in acrylic tub/showers. They age badly and don't really stay white.

I'd replace the tub with a deeper one (if you're gonna have a tub it should be a soaker IMHO) and do a nice shower tile surround. Use epoxy or some non-stainable grout. I would NOT have no tub at all if that's the only one. That'd cut off a lot of buyers.

Old 07-22-2021, 03:04 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Tubs are mandatory when selling. You need at least 1 tub in a home. People with children need a tub. Most buyers are families. Even many adults want a tub to take a bath on occasionally, give the dog a bath, hand wash large items from time to time, etc. You could replace this tub/shower combo unit with a more luxurious tub. I know you like your hotel bathrooms but you live in a townhouse not a hotel.

For the vanity you can have a new counter installed, changed the sinks & faucets if you want. That wouldn't be a huge expensive project. Changing the tub would be a larger project. Changing the lighting wouldn't be a big deal either.
Exactly! No tub is a BIG turnoff to me, so much so that I wouldn't buy the home. Whether I have kids or not. There are those who like taking baths AND showers. The key is to have a nice deep tub.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:23 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERH View Post
I think it's an acrylic "slide in" unit installed in 2 big pieces, original to the property, which was built in 1998 or 1999. This is the (smallish) master bathroom; the 2nd bath is a standup shower, so this is the only tub.

If I were to renovate, it would be a shower only -- from what I've seen of the home improvement shows, the trend is to have a larger master bath with both a shower and soaking tub. This unit is on the narrow side with the toilet right beside it, so we don't have but maybe 2-3 inches more to expand the space.

Good point about the comps.
I'd not change it to a shower if there was not another bathroom with a tub. That definitely would give people pause. I don't have any kids at home at all now, but I would never even consider a house with no tub.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:27 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
I find grey extremely offensive especially now that so many people want to put it everywhere. It will forever be known as the "pandemic era" color. Nothing "classic" about it at all except in the navy.
Offensive? LOL. I love gray. Have always loved it. Was so glad to finally see accessories and other things now offered in something other than drab beiges and horrid browns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House