Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2022, 08:43 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Some of the work I need done: installing baseboards in a portion of the basement, replacing trim around doors

(and where drywall may be damaged in the process, repairing the drywall)....stuff like that.
Here's a link for you: LINK

The working age FT person with the tools and experience needed ... needs to charge over $40/hr.
(In Manhattan that would be over $100/hr)

Some word of mouth from the neighbors older retired guy with a proven record and reliability etc...
and of course who can still work bent over and on his knees all day with those skills and tools ...
who doesn't have a similarly qualified working age relative he'd be cutting out of the work ...
just looking for some occasional CASH to supplement their other retirement income ...
(**note: VERY VERY few "handyman" guys will hit all these notes**)
might charge as little as HALF of "the going rate" there (if actually $40 then at $20/hr) ...
for however many hours it all might add up to.

The $40/hr guy starts early, works hard and is done by lunch (x5hr = $200+ mat'l)
but he'll still want (need) to charge out his whole day ... which mitigates to using a "day rate" ($300? 350?)
That's your par.

The retired guy won't be done as quickly, knows it, and prefers to just keep the meter running.
If he's actually any good (see above) that can work out just fine.

Just don't take the word of some Karen on the Internet that Joe is good or that Tom is a bum.
Do your own homework either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2022, 09:05 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Here's a link for you: LINK

The working age FT person with the tools and experience needed ... needs to charge over $40/hr.
(In Manhattan that would be over $100/hr)

Some word of mouth from the neighbors older retired guy with a proven record and reliability etc...
and of course who can still work bent over and on his knees all day with those skills and tools ...
who doesn't have a similarly qualified working age relative he'd be cutting out of the work ...
just looking for some occasional CASH to supplement their other retirement income ...
(**note: VERY VERY few "handyman" guys will hit all these notes**)
might charge as little as HALF of "the going rate" there (if actually $40 then at $20/hr) ...
for however many hours it all might add up to.

The $40/hr guy starts early, works hard and is done by lunch (x5hr = $200+ mat'l)
but he'll still want (need) to charge out his whole day ... which mitigates to using a "day rate" ($300? 350?)
That's your par.

The retired guy won't be done as quickly, knows it, and prefers to just keep the meter running.
If he's actually any good (see above) that can work out just fine.

Just don't take the word of some Karen on the Internet that Joe is good or that Tom is a bum.
Do your own homework either way.
Hey Mr. Rational: Thank you for the advice. I have tried to follow all your suggestions in my previous dealings with people who would do work for us. I may have noted elsewhere that all the 'good' people never seem to be available - people who neighbors would recommend and have experience with. They are booked through word of mouth with existing and new/referral clients and it's actually even a bit difficult to find these folks. They do not advertise.

I have done some additional research since reading everyone's comments this morning, which, again, I'm grateful for because you were right that I don't (didn't) have a good handle on the difference between the types of work to be done and who to get to do it. I found information that lined up with your initial comments, about a one day/one guy job through a handyman vs a 'contractor' who might do more complex, structural type work. Specialized tools, etc.

I have not decided if I will pursue the current possibility. He is just starting out and has no local references.

Old 01-09-2022, 09:18 AM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
My two cents.....
IMO, as a retired Project Manager, an "estimate" does not automatically become a billable item.
Whether it is billable should depend on the scope of work. Replacing a ceiling fan, should be a 5 minute e-mail estimate, outlining what the customer has asked for and what the handyman will deliver for xyz dollars, within abc time frame. The handyman should ask for a return e-mail, giving a "yes to proceed" or "no, do not proceed". Personally, I would shy away from anyone not willing to do that simple task for me.

Replacing a deck, changing plumbing/electrical, remodeling a kitchen, etc. should require a detailed estimate. Whether this detailed estimate is billable is a decision that the service provider will need to make, but should be discussed with the customer before proceeding. A detailed estimate, once reviewed by the customer would culminate in a written/signed scope of work, and a signed contract if all parties agree to proceed.
This should always take place, be it between a handyman and the customer, or a licensed contractor and the customer....it becomes a binding document/agreement and it protects all parties involved, and provides a path to conflict resolution, should any arise.
Thank you Gemstone. I completely agree with your assessment and this tracks with my own expectation for a 'professional' to do work here at the house, whether they are a handyman or a contractor.
I have learned much in this conversation.

Old 01-09-2022, 02:03 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's your par.

That's not hourly. If I hire someone at an hourly rate and he wants to be paid for 8 hours then he can work for 8 hours. Of course, some people work faster than others so "value" is part of the equation. It would be helpful to observe and see if they are working steadily or "milking the clock". If the latter, it won't happen for long. I like to provide the materials whenver I can. That way they don't spend two hours on a 30-minute Home Depot trip. I like to ask a few questions about the job in progress but don't let them ramble on with long stories with the clock running.

Old 01-09-2022, 03:36 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,219,451 times
When I was a kid, mail in thy e city was delivered twice a day. I think we should return to that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House