Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2022, 06:42 PM

9,457 posts, read 5,225,471 times

Advertisements

Someone on a local FB page indicated he was taking on handyman jobs. I asked whether he'd provide a written estimate and he responded that it depended on the job, because you never know what you might get into. Now, I understand that there may be issues outside an originial, initial estimate, and presume that at some point, a client could decide whether or not to proceed further if potential costs fell far outside the estimate. I would also, of course, compensate for any work completed up to a point where a 'no-go' decision would be made.
I've been ripped off more than once by local guys who I'd foolishly trusted and the last time made the decision that no work gets done around here w/out at least a written estimate.

Am I being unreasonable? Is it common practice these days to simply provide a verbal estimate and go from there? (something I am not willing to do). For you professional handymen, contractors, etc, how do you handle the matter of providing estimates?

Last edited by Riley.; 01-08-2022 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2022, 07:48 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
You aren't being unreasonable. In a push, find the biggest wrestler or biker type that you can, have him with you when the "handyman" estimates that job, and subtly suggest that he might get upset if anything was unreasonable. As the "Monk" theme song suggests, "It's a jungle out there."

Old 01-08-2022, 08:06 PM

5,583 posts, read 6,512,449 times
I call my local handyman when I have several things for him to do, like a "honey-do" list. He charges (last I knew) 25.00/hr. I tell him what I want done, he does my list. I am there when he does the work so I can see that he is completing my chores. I pay him accordingly to his time. Is my definition of a handyman different than yours?

Old 01-08-2022, 08:45 PM

640 posts, read 450,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
I call my local handyman when I have several things for him to do, like a "honey-do" list. He charges (last I knew) 25.00/hr. I tell him what I want done, he does my list. I am there when he does the work so I can see that he is completing my chores. I pay him accordingly to his time. Is my definition of a handyman different than yours?
OP, that's right. We had this discussion last fall, when we asked for recommendations for handymen on the local social-media pages, and people were confused who exactly were the handymen. My definition of a handyman: A person who fixes things and undertakes small projects (e.g., repair a rotted threshold, paint a door, assemble an IKEA cabinet). I expect to pay him about $30-40/hr.

By contrast, a contractor is a person who does larger jobs, like building an addition, painting the entire house, replacing a stair. I expect to pay him about $60/hr. and above. There are way too many contractors who masquerade as handymen, but you will see that they will charge you the contractor's rates.

For a contractor, a written estimate is a must. For a handyman, probably not, if the job is simple.

However, for both handymen and contractors, I prepare a detailed scope of work with sketches and give it to them.

Just be aware that no written document -- or even a written contract -- will protect you against shoddy workmanship. E.g., we hired a handyman to repaint the front door and stipulated in writing that the paint should be low VOC. Surely enough, he started painting with whatever stinkiest paint he could get at his supplier. I can still smell it months later.

Old 01-08-2022, 09:08 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Would you pay for a written estimate?

Old 01-09-2022, 04:21 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
Someone on a local FB page indicated he was taking on handyman jobs.
A handyman job really shouldn't be anything the least bit complicated to the experienced.
Even if YOU don't have the skills/tools/time to do it yourself it's basic and straightforward work
that can be completed in less than a day.
Quote:
I asked whether he'd provide a written estimate...
Am I being unreasonable?
You're being naive ... showing how little you understand about the work.
If you need written estimates, or the work involved warrants them..
then you need a genuine LICENSED contractor to do the work for you.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You aren't being unreasonable. In a push, find the biggest wrestler or biker type that you can, have him with you when the "handyman" estimates that job, and subtly suggest that he might get upset if anything was unreasonable. As the "Monk" theme song suggests, "It's a jungle out there."
LOL!!!! very funny Harry! Hope you are well.

Old 01-09-2022, 06:21 AM

4,603 posts, read 6,369,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
My two cents.....
IMO, as a retired Project Manager, an "estimate" does not automatically become a billable item.
Whether it is billable should depend on the scope of work. Replacing a ceiling fan, should be a 5 minute e-mail estimate, outlining what the customer has asked for and what the handyman will deliver for xyz dollars, within abc time frame. The handyman should ask for a return e-mail, giving a "yes to proceed" or "no, do not proceed". Personally, I would shy away from anyone not willing to do that simple task for me.

Replacing a deck, changing plumbing/electrical, remodeling a kitchen, etc. should require a detailed estimate. Whether this detailed estimate is billable is a decision that the service provider will need to make, but should be discussed with the customer before proceeding. A detailed estimate, once reviewed by the customer would culminate in a written/signed scope of work, and a signed contract if all parties agree to proceed.
This should always take place, be it between a handyman and the customer, or a licensed contractor and the customer....it becomes a binding document/agreement and it protects all parties involved, and provides a path to conflict resolution, should any arise.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:01 AM

Thanks all for the clarification. I appreciate the distinction you've described between handyman and contractor and the work each might do and how it gets done. Perhaps I am naive.

Some of the work I need done: installing baseboards in a portion of the basement, replacing trim around doors (and where drywall may be damaged in the process, repairing the drywall)....stuff like that.

I thought an estimate of time and materials might be a way for me to predict to a certain extent how much a job would cost me. If I'm going with an hourly rate (which this gentleman indicates is how he charges) then I guess it remains to be worked out who gets the materials needed or perhaps that tells me that this would be a 'contractor' job, not just he comes over and I indicate what I need done. I will speak to this gentleman privately to flesh out the details.

Here's what he said on social media:
"I’m a local guy now taking on small to medium size handyman projects. I have experience with electrical, plumbing, decks, tile work, and general building. Fair hourly rate. Please PM me with any questions."

Also, BTW, the State of Vermont does not license general contractors or home improvement contractors.

Old 01-09-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Good question. Yes, I would pay for a written estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House