Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:05 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkirk View Post
If they just bought the house, they might have a one year home warranty. You should mention the problem and ask if they have the warranty. If they do, they may be able to get the A/C repaired for a very minimal cost ($50 to $75).
I was thinking that, too. It really stinks that they bought the house WITH the problems! Maybe they didn't get a home inspection?

Bookworm, you say there was storm damage to the roof -- the same storm might have damaged the AC condensor if it looks fairly good otherwise. Then, it could be covered by insurance. I surely hope they didn't buy the house without a home inspection!

I live in Abilene, not that far from DFW, so I know all about the storms in our neck of the woods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 11:15 PM

177 posts, read 973,229 times
bookworm,

You mentioned sheetrock. I'm guessing it's for the bedroom wall that is next to the a/c. There is a more soundproof wall material (which I think is a kind of sheetrock). I believe it's called something like "hushboard". I have no idea of the price. If you are interested in it and can't find it by the name that I remember, I feel certain that there are folks on this list who would know what I'm talking about. I believe it's used primarily for schools and hospitals. Maybe if you're thinking of going the sheetrock route you could leave a space between the existing wall and the new wall and maybe fill it with insulation. I don't know what would be better, a dead space or an insulated space. The more technical people on this list could help you with this idea.

All the best,
zebbie

Old 05-21-2008, 11:56 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,792,832 times
Would your homeowner's insurance cover the damage if you accidentally threw a bowling ball out your bedroom window?

**oops**

Old 05-22-2008, 07:48 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Turn up your stereo and relax. Your neighbor's air conditioning is none of your business.
I beg to differ. If they had a clunker that I thought was energy inefficient then it is none of my business. But if the noise from their unit is interfering with my quality of life then it is my business. Now, I'm not one to go harangue them about it and have no intention of 'telling' them to fix it. My first step will be to try and control how much of the noise can penetrate my house and I have a feeling that will be sufficient.

I'm not of the age to sleep to the soothing sounds of a loud stereo. If I was, then the racket from the Ac unit would be soothing in itself.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I was thinking that, too. It really stinks that they bought the house WITH the problems! Maybe they didn't get a home inspection?

Bookworm, you say there was storm damage to the roof -- the same storm might have damaged the AC condensor if it looks fairly good otherwise. Then, it could be covered by insurance. I surely hope they didn't buy the house without a home inspection!

I live in Abilene, not that far from DFW, so I know all about the storms in our neck of the woods!
I'm not sure if they had a home inspection or not but the storms took place after they moved in. The damage isn't very severe so perhaps they do not want to risk raising insurance premiums by filing a claim. If they did not get a good home warranty they are probably without much recourse.

Also, when we bought this house, the original ac unit (20 yr old!) was chugging along on one side of the house and a newer 10 seer unit was 'in working condition' on the bedroom side. We were lucky enough to be able to replace both units but it seems like until the thing breaks people don't think of replacing the condenser units. So, if we had only relied on our home inspection then both of the units were 'in working condition'!!

Old 05-22-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
bookworm,

You mentioned sheetrock. I'm guessing it's for the bedroom wall that is next to the a/c. There is a more soundproof wall material (which I think is a kind of sheetrock). I believe it's called something like "hushboard". I have no idea of the price. If you are interested in it and can't find it by the name that I remember, I feel certain that there are folks on this list who would know what I'm talking about. I believe it's used primarily for schools and hospitals. Maybe if you're thinking of going the sheetrock route you could leave a space between the existing wall and the new wall and maybe fill it with insulation. I don't know what would be better, a dead space or an insulated space. The more technical people on this list could help you with this idea.

All the best,
zebbie
Thanks zebbie I'll look into that.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:15 AM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deja-zebbie View Post
bookworm,

All the best,
zebbie
Bookworm,

As I posted earlier, installing additional insulation will help but does not address the transfer of noise thru the studs and any small cracks or holes like around electrical plugs. They should be sealed with calk and fire retardant spray foam.

"Quiet Rock" will outperform any other product I have reasearched for the effort needed to install. It is the most up to date and effective sollution.
Why waste time and money fooling around with ghosts?
If it is good enough for the high end homes and condos along with new design apartments and hotels why would you consider using old fashion methods that are not as effective.
This product is a real breakthru in noise control and so easy to install.
The only question you need to resolve is the availability in your area.
I really don't want to sound to bossy here, but there are so many Rube Goldberg ideas out there it is easy to get lost toward the right sollutions. This is not the only fix but the best in it's class IMHO.

Silverfox

Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 AM

Thanks silverfox. I'm really open to all options regarding adding on to the interior walls. However, it is not something I want to jump into without trying less invasive methods first. The windows are over 20 years old and perhps replacing them will help. And, as someone mentioned, the unit may be on its last legs and conk out once the really hot weather starts. (it was high 90's yesterday) I can only imagine what kind of prices we are looking at to add on a whole new wall to a preexisting room and you'll probably agree that a good amount of research before making any decision is reasonable

Old 05-22-2008, 12:05 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,910 times
Bookworm,

I certainly would agree on the research. Thats what I did am still doing. You may be right about the "conk out" therory but can you stand it while you wait?
Only you know that answer.
I plan to match the db level of my walls to my windows if possible as the windows could end up being the weak link. Sound has no consience, it will take the open path just like water.
With close proximities of the homes in your area it could be a different problem on down the line. That is why I mentioned talking it over and try to figure out how long you plan to be there. To me the bedroom is the one area I want to be quiet. I'll spend the money there and the kitchen to make sure I stay comfortable and happy.

Good luck on your decison and let me know if I can assist any time.

Silverfox

Old 05-22-2008, 12:58 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bookworm2768 View Post
Also, when we bought this house, the original ac unit (20 yr old!) was chugging along on one side of the house and a newer 10 seer unit was 'in working condition' on the bedroom side. We were lucky enough to be able to replace both units but it seems like until the thing breaks people don't think of replacing the condenser units. So, if we had only relied on our home inspection then both of the units were 'in working condition'!!
OMG!!!! That's just not cool! I had a really thorough home inspector who made sure the utilities were turned on and actually timed how long it took for the house to cool down, measured the water pressure in the showers when they were first turned on and a few minutes later, etc. I got a pretty detailed report! My home was only 6 years old but he really spent some time poring over it for me! LOL, he even crawled under the house and checked for leaks and such!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House