Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2021, 06:00 PM

475 posts, read 407,043 times

Advertisements

I am an older guy (in his 60s), so take this rant accordingly...

What is it with "open" floor plans? I can't stand them.
I like walls.
Walls can hold pictures.
They can hold TVs and bookshelves.
Sofas and recliners can sit next to them.
Lamps for those chairs and sofas can magically be plugged in there without installing floor outlets.

I guess "designers" have decided we are ridiculous for asking for such a room plan.

I would love to meet the genius who "invented" TV-over-fireplace.

The proper position of a TV is with the center of the TV screen positioned at approximately (or just slightly above) eye level. Oh well. At least TV-over-fireplace works for people 12 ft tall or taller, or people who watch the TV 30' feet away out in the kitchen.

Finally, what is with the 12', 18' and even 20'+ ceilings?

Do you really think this old man wants to bring inside an extension ladder into the living room just to dust ceiling cobwebs or to change a light bulb? And that is even before considering the heating and cooling energy waste associated with such a drafty space.

And for what? So it looks more "open"?

No, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2021, 06:03 PM

765 posts, read 622,356 times
I'm not sure why there's a move towards open floor plans. I do like having a living/dining area that are open to each other, but everything else should be at least partially walled in.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:11 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Yeah, for me there is no such thing as a proper TV, much less something distracting from a fireplace - the original "TV."

I am spoiled in viewing by years of movie theatres, where I sometimes cranked up a projector, walked down to the best seat in the house, and enjoyed a private viewing. I watch in a similar setting at home. Walls are needed.

A builder can save money by building only a minimum of required load bearing walls... does that answer why "open plan" is pushed?

Old 09-24-2021, 06:12 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,202,297 times
I agree about having walls.

In addition to the TV being at the wrong height, another problem with not having walls is that the furniture has to float in the middle of the room. Unless you hard wire your floor with electrical outlets, there are no lamps next to the free floating sofas. The only lighting is overhead pots or chandeliers. Overhead lighting is very unflattering. Your face becomes a mess of shadows.

I have lots of art. Without walls, where would I show it?

Also, walls reduce noise and smells. I'd rather confine the fish and lamb to the kitchen, rather than have it hanging around the great room all night.

I don't want company whilst I am preparing dinner. I want my guests to sit, drink, and enjoy themselves. I'll talk with them over dinner.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:32 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,059,727 times
My last two homes have open floor plans. I like it.

- you only need "1" TV

- overhead ceiling lights allow for much MORE light and more dimmer/highlight effects

- I own no floor lamps. None. Zero. They are clutter, and you'd need 8-10 of them to get the kind of lighting you get in a modern/new construction home.

- I like my vaulted ceilings. You can throw paper airplanes indoors. Or play broom hockey/nerf soccer with an open floor plan.

Also, old school low ceilings trap heat. And low ceilings with incandecent/halogen lights make too much waste heat. I'm trying to COOL my house on most days, and vaulted ceilings with recessed frosted LED lights are a win.

- I dont like the fireplace+TV setup ether. I put the TV on the opposite wall when I had a fireplace, and now that I dont have a fireplace, problem solved.

- bookcases have gone the way of the dodo. People do eReader/Kindles now, if they even read at all.

Old 09-24-2021, 06:48 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,026,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
My last two homes have open floor plans. I like it.

- you only need "1" TV
YOU only need 1 TV. How silly to think you know what other people need.

Quote:
- overhead ceiling lights allow for much MORE light and more dimmer/highlight effects
Well sure. You don't need an open floor plan to have overhead ceiling lights with dimmer effects.

Quote:
- I own no floor lamps. None. Zero. They are clutter, and you'd need 8-10 of them to get the kind of lighting you get in a modern/new construction home.
Not sure what that has do with anything. I own no floor lamps either. But plenty of people with "modern/new construction homes" have floor lamps. It's called personal preference.

Quote:
- I dont like the fireplace+TV setup ether. I put the TV on the opposite wall when I had a fireplace, and now that I dont have a fireplace, problem solved.

I love my fireplace. I would never place my TV over it however.
No problem.

Quote:
- bookcases have gone the way of the dodo. People do eReader/Kindles now, if they even read at all.
LOL. My son was thrilled to get a bookcase from my parents house. He loves to read and has quite a nice selection. You are out of touch with reality I am afraid.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:20 PM

557 posts, read 297,775 times
OMGosh, I lived 30yrs with low ceilings, small dark rooms. I wouldn't take a house like that for free.
Come! Come into the light!

Bookcases, OMG no! They collect clutter, mess, and dust. The antithesis of low maintenance.

Televisions. What century do you live in? Who does televisions?
Millennials ditching their TV sets at a record rate:
https://nypost.com/2015/02/16/millen...a-record-rate/

PS: The ladder is the wrong equipment for dusting

Old 09-24-2021, 07:40 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
I’m with the OP. Rooms with single uses are cozier and can be dedicated to special activities. I thought open floor plans started with being able to watch over the children while you cooked. Later we didn’t want kids to hide away from their parents. Can’t see any other good reasons since a little personal space at the end of a busy day gives us time to relax and think. And a dedicated craft or gaming room is kind of nice.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:49 PM

993 posts, read 767,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerryDay View Post
OMGosh, I lived 30yrs with low ceilings, small dark rooms. I wouldn't take a house like that for free.
Come! Come into the light!

Bookcases, OMG no! They collect clutter, mess, and dust. The antithesis of low maintenance.

Televisions. What century do you live in? Who does televisions?
Millennials ditching their TV sets at a record rate:
https://nypost.com/2015/02/16/millen...a-record-rate/

PS: The ladder is the wrong equipment for dusting
Bookcases only collect dust and clutter if you don’t clean. I’m having a carpenter build a bookcase along a living room wall in a few weeks. I’ve been in this smaller home for 5 years now. I miss nice built ins. We read a lot. Yes, it’s all kindle now but we have dozens of books we like to refer to now and then. And I miss not having a place for sentimental Knick-knacks and photos. We resisted buying a tv until now. We don’t watch much, but it’s nice to watch a movie together now and again.

This is our retirement home on a mountain. 1961 rancher. 8 ft. Ceilings. The defined rooms are not small nor are they dark. We have a huge bay window in the LR with a beautiful view. But this is a conventional home in every way. I dunno….I’m 63. I guess I’m old fashioned. Our last home was big, large rooms, open, high ceilings. We lived there for 30 years. We much prefer this smaller, cozy home.

Old 09-24-2021, 07:49 PM

17,712 posts, read 29,839,573 times
I am 72. She is 63.
We live in an open floor plan house. Built in 2011.
We love the design.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House