Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2023, 10:02 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I rarely if ever use the sink stopper not plunger. I never fill the sink with water but I do close it to prevent my hair from going down the drain after brushing my hair and teeth.

No I decided it wasn't worth fighting with him here alone with him. The man refused to say in a professional manner something like "it's ok mame I will not charge you again since it came out" or something like that. But no this insecure child comes out with telling me I insulted him after he refused to let me know if he intends to charge me again when I told him if he did it right the first time this would not have happened. Why would I say that because the jerk used the time he installed it. I don't care if he put it in 10 months ago by the looks of the cheezy type he chose to put in I know he did a cheap job and charged me full price.

I decided he wasn't worth bothering with and certainly not recommending when he is so thin skinned he tells me not to tell him he did it wrong. I even tried to soothe his precious ego and say well it could have been the product was defective or now well made. I agreed by say 'oh thats good yeah it could be the product' Geez this guy sounds very nice on the phone even in person but he was not having anything to do with saying he would not charge me again. That is BS do it right the first time. Something like that should not have come apart. It has nothing to do with pushing the pull handle up or down to hard because no one does that and I rarely use it. It's so rare for me to use it that now I won't replace it. I will search for something like a strainer instead since I never use the sink to fill with water. I cannot tolerate someone like that I expect a little more professionalism for the money I have to pay.
Everything you've said here just reaffirms my initial opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2023, 06:18 PM

2,666 posts, read 1,187,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Everything you've said here just reaffirms my initial opinion.
One of your opinions was that I am the reason many people choose not to go into trade jobs. That is a lot power you give me. Sorry but I don't have that kind of power to make most people of the nation no longer want to become plumbers. Fact is their jobs will one day be obsolete when landlords do more of their own handy work and people find gadgets to replace cheezy parts the plumber put in to save money after charging full price. Fact is had he not said I broke it and tried squirm around to making me pay for him to fix it the argument would never have happened.

He doesn't belong in business for himself when doesn't know how to treat the customer properly.

I will never give him my money again. Being a homeowner should mean take advantage just because I live in my own home instead of renting.

He lost my business now maybe next time he will think twice before playing games to try and put the blame on the customer and trying to make the customer grovel and appeal to his fragile ego.

Old 08-14-2023, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
It took you from May to August to get your panties in a wad.
My hair is waist long and I have no clogged pipes.

My panties in a was. Sweetie it was the last day in May it was plopped in and by August it stopped working. It should have lasted years not 3 months.

Want to run a business here is a good advice don't right away accuse the customer of breaking it when we both know a customer who barely uses the stopper and he plops in a cheap piece of crap and charges over $200.00.

Old 08-14-2023, 07:56 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,344,065 times
If you know the brand of the drain assembly, I would buy a stopper that is the same brand to ensure full compatibility. Usually, but not always, it is the same brand as the faucet.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:44 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
My panties in a was. Sweetie it was the last day in May it was plopped in and by August it stopped working. It should have lasted years not 3 months.

Want to run a business here is a good advice don't right away accuse the customer of breaking it when we both know a customer who barely uses the stopper and he plops in a cheap piece of crap and charges over $200.00.

I just can't see any point in expending so much negative energy on something so minor. Time to let it go and chalk it up to experience don't you think? You'll give yourself a stroke, carrying all this anger around.

That guy doesn't care he "lost" you as a customer. Who wants to work with someone who behaves like you do? You never even gave him a chance to make it right, you lambasted him from the get go.

Sure he may be a lousy plumber and maybe he did rip you off, but I can assure you he sees you as "no great loss" lol. Plumbers can pick and choose who they want to service. The good ones and the bad ones, both. And they probably talk to each other too. About their more troublesome customers, I mean.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:08 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
That guy doesn't care he "lost" you as a customer. Who wants to work with someone who behaves like you do? You never even gave him a chance to make it right, you lambasted him from the get go.
I'm guessing the dude bought a case of T-shirts with "Praise Jesus printed on them when she told him that.

Quote:
Sure he may be a lousy plumber and maybe he did rip you off, but I can assure you he sees you as "no great loss" lol. Plumbers can pick and choose who they want to service. The good ones and the bad ones, both. And they probably talk to each other too. About their more troublesome customers, I mean.
And not only just to other plumbers. I've spent most of my working life working for auto parts or building materials suppliers. When tradesmen come in to get supplies they love to vent about the difficult customers. And the guys at the counter like to share the good ones with their other customers. So not only are other tradesmen hearing about it, but maybe the banker who comes in to buy some paint hears it as well so when the difficult customer comes in to inquire about a loan for a remodeling project he can't help but wonder whether the contractor might walk off the job in frustration.

So how you treat people can definitely go beyond the initial 1:1 interaction.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:27 AM

17,391 posts, read 16,540,182 times
You definitely can't insult a tradesman like that and then expect them to go the extra mile for you in return.

I'm glad that you were able to fix your stopper issue yourself. You'll probably need to find another plumber in the event that something else comes up. Good luck.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:00 AM

1,923 posts, read 903,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
You definitely can't insult a tradesman like that and then expect them to go the extra mile for you in return.

People talk, and bad customer stories spread like wildfire. We find out from other people in the business who they have had issues with, and we share our stories, too. We might be competitors, but we are still friendly, and often we help one another out.

In the old days these kinds of people would have had to go through the Yellow Pages finding a company, and each one they call gave excuses for why they can't come out. Our name was pretty far down and we do no advertising, so when we got a new caller we did a lot of research before took the job. Sometimes we might have accepted the work if we had the manpower available right then, but we'd charge double just to have to deal with them.

Nowadays we just don't take it on at all, because it doesn't matter how much money we get if they leave a bogus bad review online.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
If you know the brand of the drain assembly, I would buy a stopper that is the same brand to ensure full compatibility. Usually, but not always, it is the same brand as the faucet.
I wonder why the plumber didn't do that.

Old 08-18-2023, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl67 View Post
People talk, and bad customer stories spread like wildfire. We find out from other people in the business who they have had issues with, and we share our stories, too. We might be competitors, but we are still friendly, and often we help one another out.

In the old days these kinds of people would have had to go through the Yellow Pages finding a company, and each one they call gave excuses for why they can't come out. Our name was pretty far down and we do no advertising, so when we got a new caller we did a lot of research before took the job. Sometimes we might have accepted the work if we had the manpower available right then, but we'd charge double just to have to deal with them.

Nowadays we just don't take it on at all, because it doesn't matter how much money we get if they leave a bogus bad review online.
And that is one of the real reasons why they lose money. A customer shouldn't have to be made to grovel because a plumber is so insecure he needs to feel more important by doing this to a paying customer. There are a lot of plumbers and contractors living on the streets now because their sensative and over reacting to a customer who stood up for themself when insulted.

I never insulted him before he did it to me first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House