Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 10:02 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Bosch. Extremely quiet, I like the controls on the inside (although that may not be unique), and looks very streamlined because of that. This is the 2nd set of Bosch dishwashers we've had (also had them at the last house) and they've been great. My only gripe is that I haven't' found a way to turn off the beeping notification when the dishes are done....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:39 AM

4,334 posts, read 13,662,846 times
Whirlpool...runs quiet....cleans great...no problems!

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We always had good luck with Kenmore (which is whirlpool). Recently we splurged and buogh a Bosch that was a top rated model by consumer reports. It is terrible. About 1 load in 3 has to be run through again becuase the dishes still have soap all over them. YEs it is really quiet and has a fancy stainless steel tub, but it does nto clean the dishes. I would prefer clean dishes and noise to this.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Oh also, it is very hard to find someone who will work on Bosch. I do nto know if that is true in other areas or not.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:08 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times
I have to politely disagree with those who praise Kenmore. Of course, all of us base our opinions on our own personal experiences with both the appliance and the customer service attached to it. Here is mine.

When I bought my home and remodeled it in 2001, I had to purchase all new appliances, the range, refrig, dishwasher, washer, dryer and garbage disposal. Since I was making a big purchase, I took advantage of buying all of them from one source, Sears. Let me tell you, I will never EVER buy another thing from them.

Within one year...in fact, one year and 10 days, the refrig handle fell off. Yes, it fell off. I am gentle with my things and I live alone so I can testify it was NOT abuse. Next, about 3 weeks later, the dishwasher broke down. Wouldnt drain. Next, the washing machine developed a huge problem, wouldnt spin or drain.

I phoned Sears each time and reminded them that these top-of-their line appliances pooched out one year and about one or two months later. Their response? too darned bad. You did not purchase our extended warranty. I m not a big believer in extended warranties since my previous experience with appliances was that they last pretty much forever. Not so with these Kenmore items.

Oh, at 18 months after purchase, I threw out the refrig (after replacing the handle, (twice! the repairman said that this particular model had a severe problem with this particular design..cost, $100 each repair) and then the compressor stopped working...$250 repair on a machine I paid close to $3000 for ONE YEAR EARLIER!), the dishwasher (thats when I bought the VIking) and the washing machine..it was going to cost $200 to repair a $400 machine. No thanks.

Now,for those of you who have had good luck with Kenmore, I say contratulations. I m just posting my own personal experience and hope that if any of you buy Kenmore, you will have better luck than I did.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
I've been very pleased with my LG. Didn't hit my wallet too hard and the workmanship seems to be upper tier.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
I have to politely disagree with those who praise Kenmore. Of course, all of us base our opinions on our own personal experiences with both the appliance and the customer service attached to it. Here is mine.

When I bought my home and remodeled it in 2001, I had to purchase all new appliances, the range, refrig, dishwasher, washer, dryer and garbage disposal. Since I was making a big purchase, I took advantage of buying all of them from one source, Sears. Let me tell you, I will never EVER buy another thing from them.

Within one year...in fact, one year and 10 days, the refrig handle fell off. Yes, it fell off. I am gentle with my things and I live alone so I can testify it was NOT abuse. Next, about 3 weeks later, the dishwasher broke down. Wouldnt drain. Next, the washing machine developed a huge problem, wouldnt spin or drain.

I phoned Sears each time and reminded them that these top-of-their line appliances pooched out one year and about one or two months later. Their response? too darned bad. You did not purchase our extended warranty. I m not a big believer in extended warranties since my previous experience with appliances was that they last pretty much forever. Not so with these Kenmore items.

Oh, at 18 months after purchase, I threw out the refrig (after replacing the handle, (twice! the repairman said that this particular model had a severe problem with this particular design..cost, $100 each repair) and then the compressor stopped working...$250 repair on a machine I paid close to $3000 for ONE YEAR EARLIER!), the dishwasher (thats when I bought the VIking) and the washing machine..it was going to cost $200 to repair a $400 machine. No thanks.

Now,for those of you who have had good luck with Kenmore, I say contratulations. I m just posting my own personal experience and hope that if any of you buy Kenmore, you will have better luck than I did.
Sorry, but I had to laugh. This sounds like us! We didn't buy our appliances from Sears though. We bought ours at Lowes. That's why I'm saying it's hit and miss nowdays it seems. We were lucky because our failures started before the warranty was up. It convinced us to buy the extended warranty---well, also the repairman suggested it as he said today's products aren't what they use to be!! Most of the parts are plastic. It's such a shame to spend so much money and to get poor products. I'm happy so many of you have had good luck with your purchases. I wish I could say the same!!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
Whatever you do DO NOT get a BOSCH. I spent a ton of money on it, and it worked like crap. There are so many moveable pieces that break off and get lost. It also doesn't really dry the dishes. HATE THEM!!

Old 10-01-2008, 01:29 PM

1,266 posts, read 5,613,045 times
For our last house, we just took the dishwasher that came with the house. I think it was a whirlpool. Well after a couple of years, it broke. I wasn't about to invest $$ in something that probably cost $200 to begin with. We got a GE profile dishwasher from sears for $600. It just so happens that our new house came with the exact same dishwasher. So we've had 2 GE Profile dishwashers over 5+ years and zero problems with them. BUT if you do have a problem, GE's customer service is great. We had a broken light on the microwave and the ice maker went out on the fridge, so that was all fixed under warranty. I also looked up that dishwasher, seems the price is now $850, maybe you can get it on sale.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:47 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
I really love my Maytag.....Its the quiet, whisper one. I have had other regular, and quite noisy ones, so this is a really nice feature. The dishes are always sparkling, and I don't have to hear a big comotion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House