Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 10:41 AM

76 posts, read 304,154 times

Advertisements

Yes, ideally it'd be great to have a master upstairs and downstairs. However, I would not want my full time master to be on the first level. Downstairs would be for guests or an angry spouse.

1. If there's a bedroom/living space on the second level above you, it is quite possible to hear any movement above you.

2. Home invaders (no, not aliens) - Nobody intends to have their house broken into and let's all hope that the odds of this happening to any of us are slim... but if it were to happen, it's more likely to happen somewhere on the first floor... unless the intruder brings their ladder... etc.

3. Wouldn't feel comfortable leaving windows open at night and sleeping on the first floor for the above reason. Crime can happen ANYWHERE ANYTIME. A woman in a local area had her window open in a purportedly safe area. Someone crawled in through her window and assaulted her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 01:02 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
I've had homes both ways, and I definitely prefer having the master down. We both grew up in one story ranch homes, and that's what our first two homes we bought together had been. When we bought our first 2 story, we didn't really know what we were looking for. The first 2 story home we bought had the master up. It was okay because our kids were little. The next 2 story we bought had the master down, with 3 add'l bedrooms, a study, a kids living area and 2 baths up. I much preferred having the master suite down. The only problem with that house was one of the kids had a bedroom right over our bedroom, and we could hear everything going on in his room. The house we live in now is the best of the 3. The master is down, but there is nothing over it but attic space. It's completely private. Now that our kids are all gone off to college, I never even go upstairs. I just turn the heat/ac off and only go up there when I need to go to the attic, or we are having house guests. We have a room across from our master that is currently functioning as a study, but has a closet and a bathroom, so if the time ever comes when we are old that we need live in help, they would be right there by our room for us. Of course, that's on the very large assumption that we win the lottery to pay for that!

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
It all the trend, so resale will be affected just like the open floor plan affects sales today. Everyone seems to want a first floor master now. 10 years from now, it will be a must for resale. So if you don't feel strongly about it, go with the first floor master.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:30 PM

1,496 posts, read 3,385,843 times
I wouldn't have it any other way. The older one gets the more one appreciates one floor living.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:30 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I would never have a second floor only bedroom home. In afct wouldn't have a second floor myslef but i some places with small lots it all some can afford really.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Ranch for sure. 3 bedrooms and a frog. I'll have a bit of trouble getting used to sleeping on the first floor, but Mrs. Tek will love it. I grew up sleeping on the second floor, her on the first. Interestingly we are nearing retirement and those early years still rule our sleeping floor preference.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:00 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,301,161 times
Those poor people that only have one floor. How unsafe they must feel.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:44 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Those poor people that only have one floor. How unsafe they must feel.
Wow to make a statement like that I can only surmise that you must live in a crime-ridden area. We lived in a ranch style house in Southern California in a very safe neighborhood for almost 25 years and we never felt unsafe. Our doors remained unlocked when we were home (except at night) and we often parked our car in the driveway without locking it...never any problem and we never heard of any home invasion type crimes - ever.

We currently live in an area with even lower crime - as in almost no crime. It wouldn't bother me in the least to have a one story house, although our current home has a walk-out basement and two stories.

Believe me there are plenty of us that would never think to feel unsafe in a one story home because there is no basis for such a fear.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 AM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
I believe Barking Spiders' comment was made tongue in cheek. Correct me if I'm wrong.....

Old 03-01-2011, 09:55 AM

5,284 posts, read 20,050,981 times
I hope so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House