Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:25 AM

211 posts, read 947,879 times

Advertisements

So it appears when our electricity goes out our garage door opens when it comes back on. Yesterday it happened while we were at work. This is the third time. Anyone have any idea why this would happen and how we can stop it?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:28 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
If the power goes out pull the cord. Once it comes back on you can revert back and then just run the garage until it catches again.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:02 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,307,014 times
You may have a defective control module in the opener itself. But, you may have a problem with a remote or in the wall mount pushbutton or its wiring.

Here, this may help: LiftMaster Garage Door Opener Frequently Asked Questions

Click on "Troubleshooting", then on click on "My garage door is opening and closing on its own.

Old 11-09-2008, 11:23 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
And if all else fails, it could be a ghost.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 26,296 times
Default Garage opener working by itself

What happens to you is pretty common - power surges affect your motor control board in your opener unit and cause it to do odd things. First thing you should do is get a single outlet surge protector and plug the opener into it. To prevent surges from affecting your board, if you need a new one it will cost approx. $60-$70. Garage door openers do not have reset buttons so the only way to reset them is to unplug and let set for at least 30 minutes - plug unit back in and walk to the wall button(not a remote device) - activate unit. If it acts just fine then all it needed was a reset.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Satan has possessed your garage door opener. Call a priest and schedule an exorcism. that is your only hope. Do it now before the possession spreads to the rest of your garage.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:34 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,997,633 times
Perhaps someone in your neighborhood has the same opener code as you do! It's been known to happen! When a neighbor comes home (or leaves) and opens their garage, your's is picking up the signal!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:08 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
When this happened to us, we learned that it was from trucks going by that used the same radio frequency as our remote. Not sure if that was really true or not though. Possession seems more likely

Old 10-12-2014, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 10,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelarent View Post
What happens to you is pretty common - power surges affect your motor control board in your opener unit and cause it to do odd things. First thing you should do is get a single outlet surge protector and plug the opener into it. To prevent surges from affecting your board, if you need a new one it will cost approx. $60-$70. Garage door openers do not have reset buttons so the only way to reset them is to unplug and let set for at least 30 minutes - plug unit back in and walk to the wall button(not a remote device) - activate unit. If it acts just fine then all it needed was a reset.

I've been dealing with the same problem and believe that resetting the remotes at the panel control board is the answer to the "Phantom" opening problem. (See your opener manual for remote reset instructions) I did it 3 days ago and haven't had a "Phantom" opening since. I will continue to reset in the future if it happens again.

I do have one issue with using a surge suppressor: I used one that I had to protect some computer equipment and after doing so , I found that my outside remotes would not open the door. It would not open unless within 3 feet of the opener.

Afterwards I learned that LED lights throw out radio interference waves which can cause problems with other electronic devices. I then noticed that the surge suppressor had two tiny LED lights. (One red, One green). I removed the suppressor and plugged opener into AC receptacle and the problem was eliminated.

Also note that some people use LED light bulbs in their opener. (Not a good idea!)

I took it one step further:
I opened the suppressor and found the wire leads which were connected to the
tiny LED lights and then snipped and removed them. After closing the suppressor, I re plugged the opener and suppressor and it was double proof that LEDs most definitely interfere with remotes. It eliminated the problem

I am not saying that "ALL" suppressors with LED lights will cause this problem, as others may somehow be shielded from emitting the interference. I don't know how you will be able to determine this when purchasing a suppressor, but it will save bucks by asking the sales person if he can guarantee that it is shielded.

Good Luck!

Old 10-12-2014, 08:53 PM

2,707 posts, read 2,838,435 times
Make sure your house isn't built on an ancient burial ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House