Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:59 PM

1,790 posts, read 6,515,777 times

Advertisements

Recently I replaced my electric hot water heater due to it leaking. It seemed to be leaking from the bottom. This being my first house I wasn't sure about proper install and decided to install it as it was before - with 3 bricks under the bottom. But now, thinking about it, and seeing how it was leaking from the bottom, I wonder if the bricks were the problem. So I am wondering if is this ok or should I have not placed the bricks back under it? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Attached Thumbnails
hot water tank installation-picture-001.jpg   hot water tank installation-picture-002.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 10:30 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
Bricks had nothing to do with it leaking. Sheet metal exterior is not what is holding the water. There is a liner on the inside that has a layer of insulation between it and the exterior. If it is stable on the bricks they may actually allow air, between bottom and floor, to dry any moisture that would otherwise cause rust. I am not a plumber. There may be some code violation inviolved. I'm sure others will let you know if there is.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:56 AM

1,367 posts, read 5,739,058 times
I don't know a whole lot, but I know where I live there needs to be a pan underneath it for catching leaks for it to be up to code. They make metal pans that the tank sits on. But, I don't see how the bricks could be the problem. If you call your town or county they should be able to give you advice about local codes. Or call a plumber and see if they will give you any info. But the leaks were probably due to the heater itself going bad, you shouldn't have trouble with a new one.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,291,381 times
Bricks are not a problem. Pan may not be required since it is in a garage. That said, in some jurisdictions, even an electric water heater must be on a 18" platform in a garage (gas water heaters are required to be on a platform because of the flame).

OK, THAT said, the newest type of gas water heater does NOT have to be on a platform (per manf), but some jurisdictions may or may not require it.

Now THAT should be clear now. Got to LOVE building codes. Just because something is IN the code book, does not mean that the jurisdiction (City or County) is going to enforce it. They may decide to lessen the requirements, or make them more strict, or ignore them all together.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:01 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Expansion tank?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:09 PM

3,463 posts, read 7,304,241 times
Your old water heater just needed to be replaced due to age (rusting). The bricks under the old one did not cause it to fail - it was just time. The bricks under your new water heater are fine for replacement purposes. As said by others, new installation and some local codes require that the water heater be elevated on an 18" platform to help prevent it from being bumped toward the top and knocked over. I would have used the bricks as you did...

Old 11-12-2008, 02:35 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,838,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Expansion tank?
It may be installed elsewhere. You can put them anywhere in the series. If there is no expansion tank though, it is required when you replace your water heater. Many cities also require a permit to install a new water heater. Did you use dielectric unions between the copper flex pipe and the water heater? If not, the fittings will corrode quickly.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:45 PM

hmm, I am not use about the dielectric unions. My dad installed the tank for me. What would such a union look like?

Old 11-12-2008, 10:27 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Make sure you do the maintenance on it for a long life.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:24 AM

^ absolutely. We have rust in our water which probably contributed to the tank going out. Going forward I intend to drain it at least once a year to relieve such sediments at the bottom of the tank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House