Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2009, 06:00 AM

973 posts, read 3,305,877 times

Advertisements

I'm no expert on paint by any means but this one has me stumped.

I usually paint the walls of my houses using a Satin or Eggshell. I always heard that is best if you need to wash off a wall if it gets dirty (pets or kids have that effect).

At a later date, when I go back and touch up an area with the same paint, that area has a different sheen to it and from that day forward. I don't get it. It's the same paint. Why does that happen?
Any ideas to consider for future paint projects? I hear flat paint is best.

The walls on my new house are a little scuffed from when the previous owner moved out and now it looks like I'm going to have to re-paint the whole wall just so it looks nice and neat instead of polka-dotted. ***sigh***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 AM

6,196 posts, read 5,446,083 times
It is all about sheen. Touch up on a higher sheen is difficult, it is best to repaint the whole wall. Also paint "ages" so if the walls were painted say 6 months ago even a flat paint will show touch up spots at times, even if out of the same can.

On the higher sheen try using just the tip of the brush and dab, dont use a full brush stroke or roller.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,651,433 times
I hate this! I have the same issues. try a flat paint.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,123,463 times
maybe you need to wash it too to match the older paint
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House