Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 08:07 PM

5,987 posts, read 11,676,862 times

Advertisements

I had been with my cable company for 10years. Never late with my bill. One month I did not get a bill. Lost in mail or something. With no reminder or courtesy phone call the turned me off for non payment. The next day I had Dish Network. That was 12 years ago. I am very happy with both TV and customer service. Their current 722 DVR will operate 2 TVs with 1 receiver. You can watch 1 channel and record another. Watch a different channel on each sets. Picture quality is excellent. Use DSL for internet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 12:02 AM

1,941 posts, read 9,242,974 times
having just one line running into the house doesn't cause the problems mentioned.

as for extra innings, if you decide to switch, you can sign up @ mlb.tv and have all games streamed into your house, and in high-definition if available.

there are local blackouts for your home market, but those games are available to watch 45 minutes after its over in the archive section. they also have a DVR feature that looks pretty neat.

and to get the high-def package, its about $110 a year.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:07 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
If you weren't moving, I would say run another line yourself. It's very easy.

It wouldn't fix your problem, but it's still very easy. Pixilation is caused by the receiver losing signal from the dish. It can be caused by a loose, or corroded connection, dish moving in the wind, trees blowing around, or rain fade. Rain fade is most common when the dish isn't perfectly aligned, and is only getting a weak signal to begin with.

Go to your setup menu. There should be a meter somewhere to tell you what your strength is. You should always be over 70% strength.

Some receivers have two meters. One is signal, the other is quality. Signal tells you that there is a good connection between the dish, and your receiver. It keeps an eye on your hardware.

Quality tells you how well you are aimed at the satellite.

Today's dishes are hitting multiple satellites. They have to be perfectly tuned to get the best quality from every bird. The latest directv slimline dish hits five different satellites.
I don't know..."they" came out and looked at it and said the signals were fine. It does it even when the weather is clear. It kind of skips and you can't understand the voice. It is bad mostly when you watch something that has been recorded. They wanted to drill another hole through the foundation and we didn't want to bother with that. Customer service has also been poor.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southgeorgia View Post
having just one line running into the house doesn't cause the problems mentioned.

as for extra innings, if you decide to switch, you can sign up @ mlb.tv and have all games streamed into your house, and in high-definition if available.

there are local blackouts for your home market, but those games are available to watch 45 minutes after its over in the archive section. they also have a DVR feature that looks pretty neat.

and to get the high-def package, its about $110 a year.
We have had problems with the HD channels too. I believe "they" said that was because of having only one line too.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:30 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,787,526 times
I have Dish Network at the present, but I'm starting to think that there isn't any point in having satellite if you do not have the Direct TV NFL package. I think that satellite is superior to cable. If you get cable you are really just accepting a feed from a central satellite hub and are still subject to weather disturbances, etc. etc. in addition to physical line disturbances. Why not cut out the middle man?

I know that Dish Network allows you to run 2 TV's off of one box for a minimal fee (I think it's like $5/month). The TV's have to be fairly close together, like less than 40' as the crow flies. For most people this isn't a huge problem, but I think you would still have to have 2 boxes for 3 TV's unless you wanted two that could be operated independently of one another and one slaved to the main TV.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:58 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,417 times
Our Cartoon Network channel stopped working so I got online with Comcast Cable to see when it might be back up. They told me that Cartoon Network is already digital and we need a converter to see it. We have basic Analog cable and she told me that we will have to switch over to Digital and get boxes for all our tv's when the transition takes place. My husband thinks they are just trying to get us to upgrade. Comcast has been running commercials forever about it you have cable we were covered. I am going to have to actually call someone at Comcast to find out the deal but in the meantime we don't have Cartoon Network anylonger (my son is not happy).

Old 04-06-2009, 08:21 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,690,453 times
Janipoo

You should be interested in these two links.

Subscribers scramble as Comcast switches to digital | Philadelphia Inquirer | 11/16/2008 (http://www.philly.com/philly/business/34535164.html - broken link)

Whatever happened to cartoon network on comcast in Gaithersburg, Maryland? - Yahoo! Answers

Remember that the converter that they are talking about is not the same converter that you would use for over the air.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:32 AM

1,502 posts, read 7,380,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
I had been with my cable company for 10years. Never late with my bill. One month I did not get a bill. Lost in mail or something. With no reminder or courtesy phone call the turned me off for non payment. The next day I had Dish Network. That was 12 years ago. I am very happy with both TV and customer service. Their current 722 DVR will operate 2 TVs with 1 receiver. You can watch 1 channel and record another. Watch a different channel on each sets. Picture quality is excellent. Use DSL for internet.
I know that Direct TV is big in our community but now I am leaning towards Dish because of the 2 room receivers. Was it pretty simple to connect the 2 TVs up to the receiver?

Old 04-06-2009, 11:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,268,827 times
I had cable. Suddenlink is an ancient system and their analog got me a whole 77 channels with nothing else for 85 dollars a month. not including internet.

I have Dish now. Yes, the introductary rate of 20 dollars a month will go up to 40 at six months but with ALL the stuff I get plus a few movie channels its a whole lot better. And I LOVE the dvr. I'd ask about the DVR with the old cable company in California but they disabled every outgoing port, which means that you couldn't copy the program to anything so I said no thanks.

I have the two cable system. I only have one tv as of now, but will be getting a second. Service guy said all I need to do is connect the cable and it has its own remote.

As for internet I'm stuck with either Sprint cards or suddenlink. No wireless dsl or dsl in this area. But once my vacation is over Sprint will be getting a call about that I think. If you have a cell with a good signel that is another way to go with internet service if your stuck with cable.

Old 04-06-2009, 01:43 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,602,397 times
To those posters who questioned why Janipoo said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janipoo View Post
...because of the new digital broadcasting and I recently found out that we will need boxes on all our tv's even with cable...I guess I should also mention that we only have basic cable, no premium channels.
I think she meant she will need digital cable boxes and not converter boxes. Just trying to clarify.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House