Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 06:32 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times

Advertisements

Cosmic is right - as usual.

You can figure a ballpark estimate on your roof replacement, but that's all it's going to be. Ballpark.

The cost of roofing will increase if it's a steep pitched roof. It will also increase if you have multiple valleys and/or gables and dormers.

Also, the cost of shingles themselves varies greatly. There are el-cheapos and there are really expensive ones.

My advice would be to get at least 3 bids on the roof. Hold their feet to the fire and make them be absolutely specific about what is and is not included.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 01:52 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,734,779 times
Default The one biggy I did not mention.............

The OP did sezs the magic words "Town House".

If you have a house where the grounds are shared, conjested, close in parking, etc and the roofer will not have good access, be able to secure the area, you may have a problem. Both in getting a low quote or getting any quotes at all.

Might talk to the neighbors how they arranged to secure the surrounding area to block off close in parking, folks walking in the area, etc. Nobody thinks about this as a problem. Every roofer will see it immediately and either bid very high or not bid at all. Especially true if they are going to strip the roof.

Any roofer will want all areas immediate below a working roof area, completely restricted from other non crew folks walking or standing in that area. Same with cars parked, they all must be well away from the work areas. If you leave it up to them to effect this type security many will just walk away. To many other folks will ignore the requests or just plain not cooperate. Even if you use saw horses and tape off the areas, they will cross into it.

I never wanted to do roof(s) but would cherry pick certain jobs if work was a lil slack. A nice lil ranch house with a fenced yard is OK, so are nice wide open spaces with nobody else around. Very conjested spaces with lots of ajoining apartments, housing, etc can be big trouble in terms of site security. Many places might even require like off duty cops as part of the permits. Very good chances for insurance claims from many sources.

Something to always consider in requesting quotes for a roof. Lay off all the security stuff on the roofer and if they have a good backlog of work, so easy to walk away from a job like that. The person might be able to effect a lot of the requirements via a HOA or getting other neighbors to cooperate in advance and being able to communicate that to the roofer.

Failure to do so, will get very high quotes or no quotes at all in many very conjested environments. Things do have a way of getting dropped or sliding off of roof(s). Easy to get nails in tires, shingles can "Sail" when being dropped off during stripping. You can not spend all day worrying about what some fools on the ground might do and demand they be protected from all risks, even if they put themselves in danger.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:34 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,163,599 times
Thanks for the input Cosmic, but I am a little surprised. As I've said, I've seen a lot of my neighbors have roof work done, and I don't recall any job lasting more than one day. The grounds are not shared - I have an end-of-group house and own my front, side and back yards along with two parking spaces out front. No HOA (thank god).

The houses here are not very big - roughly about 30 feet deep by 20 feet wide. I have a walk-out basement, so the height of mine ranges from 2 story in the front to 3 story above ground in the back. I could see why that may cost me more than the neighbors across the street that have an underground basement, although the roofs are identical. Nothing fancy on the roof, either; just a plain pitched roof without dormers or anything.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:38 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Forgive me for jumping in with a diversion from the original question, but we want to change our shingle roof to tile. Is that doable, or is the cost impractical?

Old 09-21-2009, 03:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Forgive me for jumping in with a diversion from the original question, but we want to change our shingle roof to tile. Is that doable, or is the cost impractical?

Tile is super expensive. It is also super heavy. If your roof structure was not built to support tile, you may have to rebuild the roof structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House