Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:55 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,922,537 times

Advertisements

During building of our house 8 years ago, I did all the pipes and wires for the central vac system for the first floor and second floor. We recently partially finished our basement so I tied them all together and added more outlets down there. I'm finally ready to buy the vac itself. I see a lot of debate on whether or not they are worth it, but not much discussion on what brands I should be looking at and considerations for making sure I get a good system and accessories/attachments.

Suggestions on brands? Must have accessories? Things to stay away from? Any other tips or tricks for someone about to go shopping for hardware?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 AM

129 posts, read 524,992 times
Quote:
During building of our house 8 years ago, I did all the pipes and wires for the central vac system for the first floor and second floor.
If this was done prior to drywall sanding you may want to clean these pipes, it gets everywhere and beyond (including motors, and it can be abrasive). I've have it destroy a wheeled shop vac before. Unless the pipes were sealed shut during this phase. Also I would check out the central filtration system as far as easy of use, etc. And the portablility of the hose that will be carried from place to place.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleck View Post
If this was done prior to drywall sanding you may want to clean these pipes, it gets everywhere and beyond (including motors, and it can be abrasive). I've have it destroy a wheeled shop vac before. Unless the pipes were sealed shut during this phase. Also I would check out the central filtration system as far as easy of use, etc. And the portablility of the hose that will be carried from place to place.
How do you suggest cleaning them out? The pipes were not sealed.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
Quick, easy, somewhat messy way to clean them out is with an air compressor. Open the main port, and blow air through one inlet port at a time. The other ports have to be sealed off for this to work. Also, you need a compressor that has some good pressure. Have someone on the main port side with a shop vac to catch all the dust. That person may want to wear clothes that they don't care about getting dirty.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Quick, easy, somewhat messy way to clean them out is with an air compressor. Open the main port, and blow air through one inlet port at a time. The other ports have to be sealed off for this to work. Also, you need a compressor that has some good pressure. Have someone on the main port side with a shop vac to catch all the dust. That person may want to wear clothes that they don't care about getting dirty.
Good suggestion, I will see about doing that soon. Now I just need to figure out what vac and accessories to purchase for best results and best value.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:36 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Is it too late to stick one of the suction vents on the kitchen floor so you can sweep crumbs in to the central vac? We have one and they are great.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Is it too late to stick one of the suction vents on the kitchen floor so you can sweep crumbs in to the central vac? We have one and they are great.
Unfortunately, yes, but I did manage to add one in the basement where we plan to have a "kitchenette" eventually. Oh well.

Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 AM

4 posts, read 26,209 times
You should research Lindsey Manufacturing in northern Oklahoma. They are big in the central vac business. Not sure about products and accessories, but I know they sell central vac systems.

Old 02-12-2010, 02:22 AM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
I would suggest Vacu Flo brand as the best unit to buy for your central vac system. I've used two other brands and neither even came close. Vacu Flo has more suction and uses an air powered head for carpets that works better than most units powered by electricity. The internal design of the Vacu Flo is what makes a difference, they are vented to the outside and do not use a bag you have to change. The dirt, dust and pet hair drops into a plastic bucket attached to the bottom of the power unit, not having a bag to interfer with the movement of air through the fan makes the system have greater suction than other brands. Accessories and parts are readily available.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:57 AM

2,903 posts, read 12,534,532 times
We have a nutone system. You can google reviews on the different ones, etc. I got the type that has both the 110 volt poer for the powerhead and the low voltage wiring for turning on the main unit in the outlet, so you do not need to plug in the unit to two outlets......

With a little work you can still install the undercabinet dustpan thing.....it is great.

I used to tease my dog a bit by turning it on and throwing popcorn on the floor.....it would suck it up before the dog could get it. It was funny......and no, I'm NOT a bad, mean guy.

I bought the extra workshop hose for it.....it's great. 50' long, great for basement or garage. Put an outlet in the garage also.

The big decision to make is do you put the main unit in the basement or garage? I put it in the basement.

Frank
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House