Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 04:27 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times

Advertisements

The person that installed the plumbing I guess, the previous owner, for one of the bathrooms, the shower - it has the one knob type that you pull out and turn towards hot or cold. Anyway, the hot and cold are backwards, the silver ring says hot one way and cold the other, however it is opposite really. So, it is no big deal but is there a simple way of fixing this? It is also in one of those full plastic shower tub combos so no tile or whatever. Can you just replace the knob thing? Or is it messed up with the plumbing and the knobs only work one way?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 05:07 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
The person that installed the plumbing I guess, the previous owner, for one of the bathrooms, the shower - it has the one knob type that you pull out and turn towards hot or cold. Anyway, the hot and cold are backwards, the silver ring says hot one way and cold the other, however it is opposite really. So, it is no big deal but is there a simple way of fixing this? It is also in one of those full plastic shower tub combos so no tile or whatever. Can you just replace the knob thing? Or is it messed up with the plumbing and the knobs only work one way?
Thanks.
I'd fix that, that's a safety risk. Someone could inadvertently get scalded.

Maybe the entire tub shower enclosure can be tilted away enough to get in there and switch the supplies.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:15 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,646,391 times
Charles, any tub manifold manufactured after 1999 comes standard with an anti scold feature. That is law. Even if not, no one should have their hot water heater temperature set at the maximum setting. It is a waste of energy, a waste of money and no human can use water that hot anyway.

OP this is very annoying. How long ago did this hack do this work? You should be calling them back. When.....oops I mean if they refuse to fix it then you call your local building dept and say an unlicensed Plumber has botched a plumbing job in your home. They will make sure that that gets fixed for you. This I promise you. If you don't like or trust govt agencies as I don't then call your state contractors board and tell them an unlicensed hack botched a job in your home. With the fine they impose on the hack they will get you a proper Plumber to fix your home.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:16 PM

445 posts, read 1,604,802 times
Is it just the shower or the entire bathroom - a friend had plumbing redone in a mountain house and the sink and tub were reversed - but the toilet had HOT water in it and the spigot outside was HOT water.....
It was an easy fix - I just had to cut both lines that went from the water heater and switch them
Can you get to the plumbing from a room next to the bath - backside of the shower - maybe a closet ??? That would be an easier way to do the work -Richard (TOH) showed that on one show

Old 04-08-2010, 05:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
is it that the Hot and Cold does not match left and right or is it just the ring is upside down? Also, could it be the valve cartrige was replaced and when they replaced it, they put that in upside down? Sometimes the valve body could be worn and the guides allow the valve to be forced in upside down. You can tell if yuo find pictures on line that shows the handle pointed on way but your handle is the opposite. If the picture shows the handle facing up and yours is facing down, the valve is upside down so when you move it to hot, it is really moving to cold.

Old 04-08-2010, 05:58 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
I think PacificFlights has the answer - very likely the valve cartridge was replaced and installed upside down. Or, if the piping is actually reversed, maybe you can invert the cartridge and in this one case "2 wrongs make a right" - ?

Failing that, it might be more practical to reverse the piping in the basement (assuming it goes there) rather than taking the tub apart.

I'm assuming you are wanting to DIY - otherwise just call the plumber of your choice.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,675,099 times
its not that I'm smart or know what I'm doing, I pushed a replacement valve in upside down (can't get it out now) so stupidity can be the great teacher!

Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 PM

584 posts, read 2,148,536 times
To answer some of the questions about my problem. Well, I don't know who did it. I discovered it after we bought the house and I have no problem remembering which is which, but I was thinking about fixing it anyway. I don't have any idea why they did it wrong. It is just the shower. Nothing else wrong with plumbing throughout the house that I know of. I guess I could get to the plumbing through the closet that is opposite the spouts and shower. But I hate to think about how much work that would be, I've never destroyed a wall before. No, the ring with the letters C & H on it is right side up, it is the actual hot and cold water that are backwards. I'm not sure what a valve cartrige is, so I don't know if that is it. Interesting thought though on just reversing it to make it right. Yes I am wanting to DIY, and there is no basement, house is only on concrete slab. Any more thoughts? Or any way to see if it is the valve cartrige? Thanks.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Use shark bite connectors and it should be a simple job. Make one hole in an unobtrusive place. It s a couple of hour at the outside unless you have some wierd layout.

I love the hot water in the toilet idea. I want a hot water toilet! In a pinch if all the showers are busy, you could wash your hair in there.

(I just do nto want the gas bill that goes with it.).

Old 04-08-2010, 07:13 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
If you Google the valve manufacturer (Gerber, Price-Pfister, whatever) you can find the company website, look around on there, and maybe find repair instructions for your particular valve.

Or, go to any decent hardware store, you should be able to find a similar valve.

Cliffs Notes version, you turn the water off in the house, pull trim off hte valve handle, it will have a screw in the middle to take it off, there will be a trim ring you unscrew around the outside, the cartridge will come out, turn it 180 degrees, re-insert, "assembly is the reverse of disassembly".

If the rest of your plumbing is correct, probably this is a reversed cartridge.

You *may* want to buy a new spare cartridge, particularly if you go to the hardware store to figure this out (and that may be the best way) so as to be a paying customer rather than a guy who just comes in and occupies their time without buying anything, and in case the cartridge you take out does not look to be in excellent condition. They are not expensive, good to have a spare anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House