Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 01:47 PM

8,953 posts, read 11,821,798 times

Advertisements

There were four of us from California at work. We have lived here from 3 years to 6 months. Three have gone back home -- all last month. One person listed her house for over a year and finally sold (happily) at a loss. One guy gave his house back to the bank. They all cited high taxes as the reason for moving back. But because they all moved last month, something tells me the hot and humid summer had something to do with it. I know the humidity is getting to me this summer.

Just wondering how the ex-Californians are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 02:02 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,830,060 times
Just one more to go! Cmon' heat

Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM

4,023 posts, read 7,385,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
There were four of us from California at work. We have lived here from 3 years to 6 months. Three have gone back home -- all last month. One person listed her house for over a year and finally sold (happily) at a loss. One guy gave his house back to the bank. They all cited high taxes as the reason for moving back. But because they all moved last month, something tells me the hot and humid summer had something to do with it. I know the humidity is getting to me this summer.

Just wondering how the ex-Californians are doing.
Californians would leave because what ? High taxes ? Coming from Californians it's just very funny :lol: because California = the HIGH TAXES state

Old 06-10-2010, 02:40 PM

30 posts, read 107,593 times
High taxes compared to Cali? good one

Old 06-10-2010, 02:58 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,744,413 times
High property tax rate is about it. Sounds like standard California-style pissing & moaning.

Old 06-10-2010, 03:24 PM

1,474 posts, read 5,005,076 times
well maybe they couldnt afford a house in way cool places in Cali, move to and bought a house in Houston in far away safer sections and just now experiencing the burden of being owned by a house/county. then they realize after all the years of nothingness in Houston that they were better off living in a small apartment and living more meaningful lives, with beautiful daily folks in Cali.
I say, Thanks for giving us a try!

Old 06-10-2010, 03:27 PM

68 posts, read 210,451 times
It would be a great blessing if everyone from California would leave Texas.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,779,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
well maybe they couldnt afford a house in way cool places in Cali, move to and bought a house in Houston in far away safer sections and just now experiencing the burden of being owned by a house/county. then they realize after all the years of nothingness in Houston that they were better off living in a small apartment and living more meaningful lives, with beautiful daily folks in Cali.
LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmatical23 View Post
I think all of the dentists from CA should be required to stay..... lord knows ya'll need them

Old 06-10-2010, 07:12 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,685,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
Like dude, "Cali" is way cool rad gnarly! So many "beautiful daily folks in Cali."

Old 06-10-2010, 07:38 PM

316 posts, read 785,411 times
Quote:
....A blessing? ...huh..
Well davidt1, I guess all the nice things they told you about Texans before we moved here, being so polite, well mannered, sincere & cordial went out the window with some of the comments made on this forum --regarding the great people of California leaving because of taxes and humidity...I would think that would be maybe 25% percent of it -- What about your overall quality of life here in Houston??

--Yes davidt1 California has the only true Mediterranean climate in North America, Yes it still has the 8th largest economy in the world just below the UK and Italy and above Texas - Sure it has some of the nations safest places to call home - Mission Viejo, Irvine, Newport Coast, Thousand Oaks, Mountain View, etc - of course it produces some of the worlds best Technology ( (Apple, Google, Intel, Cisco, HP and Oracle) has a fantastic Music and Arts scene, Is the world's fifth largest supplier of food and agriculture commodities, Second to nobody and known worldwide in producing the most premium wines in the world. We know about our outstanding Sports Franchises - L.A. Lakers - L.A. Dodgers - L.A. Angels - Chargers - Giants and Niners - Some of the best colleges in the Nation - Stanford, UC Berkley, USC - UCLA -California Institute of Technology - Home to the motion picture industry - Home of the Golden Gate Bridge, Silicon Valley, Disney's Mickey Mouse, Hundreds of Miles of beautiful beaches - Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara - Malibu to Newport - Laguna to La Jolla -...and a progressive diversified culture second to none -

So David ---It's not your 3.5% property taxes on your 350k home or the nasty oppressive humidity you have to deal with for the next 5 1/2 months, it's the fact that we Californians are a very spoiled bunch and are truly used to the very best of everything...just like transplants who moved here from NYC, NoVA and Connecticut. My advice to you David is to rent - yes David rent... Doctors do it, Attorneys, Professors - Business Executives & yes you David should do it as well - Start saving now - 30% of your earnings per month - YES DAVID 30% ---It's all about putting it in the BANK... - And in 18 monthes you will be able to come back to the Golden State and kiss the ground as you cross the AZ border - until then you will buy your jeans off the rack, Shop at HEB...not Whole Foods, eat your dinners at Chili's and Chik Filet not Houstons or Del Friscos', Cancel your NFL Network & HBO - Drown your sorrows at the Gym not the Godiva counter...By the time you return to CA David you will thank me, everything including the Golden state will be back to where was it was like when you left it!!.....We will be the ones enjoying Brunch with our wives at Gladstones for Fish in Malibu having a cold one on that 75 degree June afternoon!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston