Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,679,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCH99 View Post
While that may be true, what inspires them to spend so much time complaining about where they are?It seems to me folks that make long distance relo's every few years are chasing something besides living in Utopia
Agreed...moving is a geographical change and about all it ensures is a new location. For more and more people economic uncertainty is the basis of their decision to leave their current location...something many of these people wouldn't otherwise consider. Maybe they don't have the money to immediately move again if they aren't happy where they relocated. I agree it's unfair of them to make comparisions and complain....Houston never claimed to be anything like the Bay Area or to have San Deigo's weather. I think people just get frustrated when they make a big move only to realize that they brought all their baggage with them. There is no Utopia...not even CA. Any situation in life is only going to be what a person is willing to make of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 08:44 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,888,365 times
First of all, for those who want to come into this part of the forum to talk about California, they're in the wrong place. They're welcome to visit the California forum. There are a lot of good things to say about CA and that would be the place to do it.

Second, it's just plain rude and immature for a person to move somewhere and then start whining about where they moved in the city's section of the forum (especially the low blow insults). I can't imagine moving to CA and then getting on a CA forum and bashing the state or specific cities. I think that regarding the kind of stuff we're seeing in this thread, there's an excellent chance that such people are exhibiting the same behavior around coworkers and other associates, and then wonder why they're not particularly well liked. Your posts come across as saying you don't really have your own act together when you can't seem to exhibit decent behavior toward others in an online forum such as this one.

As for your complaints, I (and others, I'm sure) would love for you to enjoy your stay in Houston. Here are some recommendations you could try:

Put a smile on your face and make people want to know you. Leave your bad attitude at home. You'll find that people are friendly after all.

Hunker down when the hot, humid weather arrrives and appreciate that from October through April it will generally be great. When it's hot, hit the pool in the evening and on weekends and have a cold beer or margarita if that's your thing.

Spend at least one day on a weekend volunteering at an animal shelter (my favorite), soup kitchen, or some sort of charity. You'll find out how many wonderful people are out there. It's contagious.

Sample the hundreds of ethnic restaurants in Houston in parts of the city where the primary language is something other than English. It's great fun and a good education.

Be a mentor or tutor at an elementary school in a poor district. The kids will love you and will actually teach you a lot.

See the many and changing exhibits in the museum district.

Hang out in Hermann Park or Discovery Green downtown and notice how much fun people are having. It feels good to be around people enjoying themselves.

Take a tour of the Ship Channel.

Here's another favorite of mine: spend some evenings on Google Earth, using the street view option, and browse the incredible Houston neigborhoods on the west and north side that were built in the southern and westernmost extension of the southern piney woods. Then, go see the neighborhoods for yourself and take some photos. Many people live in Houston for years and never venture off the freeways to explore. They're missing a lot.

Hope this helps put things in perspective.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:32 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,455,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
Texas is the fastest growing state, Houston the fastest growing city in America

California is not.

END.
That may be true but we do not know the numbers for sure...I think Texas is behind California on that statistic! However California has more new jobs being created then any state in the US right now. END

Last edited by TVC15; 06-12-2010 at 01:16 AM..

Old 06-12-2010, 03:38 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,659,537 times
I doubt that. Do you have a source that shows California is creating more jobs than any other state right now?

Even if that is the case, though, California has lost more jobs than pretty much any other state since the recession. Creating new jobs won't even satisfy the amount of unemployed Californians that there are in the state right now, let alone be enough to draw in people from other states.

BTW, if you are so into California, why the heck are you on Houston's forum?

Old 06-12-2010, 11:03 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by glorplaxy View Post
I doubt that. Do you have a source that shows California is creating more jobs than any other state right now?

Even if that is the case, though, California has lost more jobs than pretty much any other state since the recession. Creating new jobs won't even satisfy the amount of unemployed Californians that there are in the state right now, let alone be enough to draw in people from other states.

BTW, if you are so into California, why the heck are you on Houston's forum?
I'm into Houston as well

Old 06-12-2010, 11:42 AM

[quote=glorplaxy;14582478]I doubt that. Do you have a source that shows California is creating more jobs than any other state right now?

This data came from the U.S. Department of Labor & Statistics. You can get the data for all the states if you want at this site. I'm just comparing Texas & California.
California Economy at a Glance

Last edited by TVC15; 10-03-2011 at 08:32 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 11:50 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,016,612 times
lol - the title the OP put on this cracks me up - "how you holding out" like they are on some deserted island or imprisoned.

Old 06-12-2010, 11:52 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,801,818 times
I wonder why Californians continue to hate on Texas when they continue to move there.

Old 06-12-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I wonder why Californians continue to hate on Texas when they continue to move there.
I wonder why Texans who have never lived in California choose to hate on California? I say give it a try if you can and see how awsome this place really is! This comes from a Texan...more specifically a Houstonian. I don't hate Texas but some of the mentatility I see on this forum from both Texans and Californians makes them appear very narrow minded and limited.

Last edited by TVC15; 06-12-2010 at 12:12 PM..

Old 06-12-2010, 12:04 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,151,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
lol - the title the OP put on this cracks me up - "how you holding out" like they are on some deserted island or imprisoned.

Yeah... "holding OUT"? It's supposed to be "holding UP." Obviously meant to be a negative thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston