Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,949,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
People in Houston are very friendly and open-minded. I don't think it's for you.
that's kinda mean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 12:57 PM

912 posts, read 2,556,971 times
I'd suggest that if it's VERY financially advantageous then moving here is worthwhile. Otherwise pick somewhere nice.
By nice I mean not a concrete sprawl ridden with crime, awful weather and full of Grade 'A' DBag would be ed hardy, 'like' speaking A-holes. They are the sort of people you are going to be surrounded with if you live in the urban centre.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:08 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexTx View Post
People in Houston are very friendly and open-minded. I don't think it's for you.
I am friendly and open-minded. If I wasn't open-minded, I would have dismissed Houston outright based on what I've heard. I am asking because I AM open to the idea of Houston and want to know the truth. I don't know why you are insulting me when you don't know me.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Well there are many areas where I walk. funny you mentioned those 3 places because they are in my neighborhood. I live near 288 and Macgregor and I walk to Hermann Park, walk to the museums, walk to the zoo, walk to miller theater, rice U, rice village. It is a really interested area.

I can walk to the trains and then hop on and continue my walking mid town, downtown, med center, etc
That sounds nice. I like the idea of the museum district. I hope we can afford something arounf that area!

Old 07-06-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunn View Post
I'd suggest that if it's VERY financially advantageous then moving here is worthwhile. Otherwise pick somewhere nice.
By nice I mean not a concrete sprawl ridden with crime, awful weather and full of Grade 'A' DBag would be ed hardy, 'like' speaking A-holes. They are the sort of people you are going to be surrounded with if you live in the urban centre.
Haha, we have some of those Ed Hardy types here in Denver too. We just try to go to places where we don't have to deal with them

Old 07-06-2010, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
That sounds nice. I like the idea of the museum district. I hope we can afford something arounf that area!
Are you looking to rent or buy.

The Museum district/ lower montrose is very very pricey.

But if you are not scared of areas like Riverside Terrace, it is still affordable.

The lot sizes in Riverside are about 6000-15000 square feet and the houses are very grand. The prices range from under 100K to over a million, but most are in the 200 range.

The down side is that Riverside is in between two low income neighborhoods (third ward and Old Spanish Trail).

But Riverside is about a 2 minute drive to downtown, 5 minutes from Hobby Airport, 10 minutes from all sports stadiums.

It is very walkable and the neighbors are all really friendly.

Btw,one of my dearest friends is from Pueblo but lived in Springs for a while. She lives in Denver now though.

Denver reminded me a lot of Houston.
The air seemed cleaner but I found a lot of similarities

Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Are you looking to rent or buy.

The Museum district/ lower montrose is very very pricey.

But if you are not scared of areas like Riverside Terrace, it is still affordable.

The lot sizes in Riverside are about 6000-15000 square feet and the houses are very grand. The prices range from under 100K to over a million, but most are in the 200 range.

The down side is that Riverside is in between two low income neighborhoods (third ward and Old Spanish Trail).

But Riverside is about a 2 minute drive to downtown, 5 minutes from Hobby Airport, 10 minutes from all sports stadiums.

It is very walkable and the neighbors are all really friendly.

Btw,one of my dearest friends is from Pueblo but lived in Springs for a while. She lives in Denver now though.

Denver reminded me a lot of Houston.
The air seemed cleaner but I found a lot of similarities
We just want to rent an apartment. Probably about 900 square feet or so

Old 07-06-2010, 01:29 PM

316 posts, read 784,404 times
Quote:
MsRiss7383-We are very liberal and a thriving art and cultural scene is important. Sitting in traffic is something we have a huge problem with and we love public transit
I would recommend that you spend some time here again and stay inside the loop- The Denver metro is fairly liberal, the southern Denver suburbs not so much - with the exception of maybe Rice - Montrose - and the Museum district, I think it will be very difficult finding the things your looking for in Houston - have you been to Austin yet?

Old 07-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Well we are renting a place in Riverside terrace now. The manager claims it is 1000 sq ft but I doubt it. It is 2 bedrooms and we pay 599 a month.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:32 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
LOL. Grunn, I often wonder where it is exactly you hang out. I've lived and do live in the nicest parts of Houston and I don't know one person that wears Ed Hardy. In fact, I had to google that name last year, after listening to some fashion show, to find out what the heck it was. There were a few I remember wandering around the burbs of the Woodlands though, now that I know what they are.

Not saying people don't walk around Uptown/Memorial areas wearing them, but I don't know one person that owns a house there that fits the your profile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston