Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 10:34 AM

243 posts, read 488,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
money? you earn it by sacrificing a bit of freedom and a chunk of your life day in and day out. My dad made his money in Saudi Arabia, I wanna do better than him so I'm making mine in Houston
Ah yes...because this is the only place in the world thay pays cold hard cash. Your misery is so warranted...

You know you won't get your life back right? Move now while you can still type. Please.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:37 AM

1,474 posts, read 5,004,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Huh? So only old, fat women like restaurants, museums, and theater?

Topaz
no. they could be in a wheel chair. anyway, all that spectating is not exciting for straight guys

Old 07-25-2010, 10:38 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,825,404 times
I'm trying to think how can a city of 2.3 million with a metro of 6 million be boring. This place has over 10,000 eateries. It has clubs. It has bars. It has a beach. I don't this place can be as boring as people, HATERS, say it is. Once when EarthQuest is finished, people, HATERS, are call it even more boring. Shoot, it may be number one for the most boring cities in the world.

Old 07-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittyhawk View Post
Ah yes...because this is the only place in the world thay pays cold hard cash. Your misery is so warranted...

You know you won't get your life back right? Move now while you can still type. Please.
People have been taking that into consideration.
women in discussions *geez*

Old 07-25-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I'm trying to think how can a city of 2.3 million with a metro of 6 million be boring. This place has over 10,000 eateries. It has clubs. It has bars. It has a beach. I don't this place can be as boring as people, HATERS, say it is. Once when EarthQuest is finished, people, HATERS, are call it even more boring. Shoot, it may be number one for the most boring cities in the world.
Thats how people get sucked in. Some can adjust to the disappointment, some dont. Some just make the best of it by going out to the burbs and excite themselves with gardening, home building and laserquest.
eateries dude? are you a fattie too?

Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM

848 posts, read 2,130,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
BINGO!

Not only that, Houston's just got some character within its destination places.

Los Angeles? Meh, I used to have a love affair with that city but when I saw that Robertson, Melrose, Pasadena's Colorado Ave, Westwood Village and such had the same sidewalks and relative ambience...nah, Houston offers us more character of places in comparison.

Even this girl I know who is attending school in UCLA keeps Facebooking how much she "misses H-town" and would like to be back here "in a minute" if she could.

I still love LA but Houston's got the true eclectic vibe of spaces. I mean, just on West Gray, we can have that LA-style at the Midtown point near Brazos/Bagby but just down the street near the Montrose intersection, we have our oak tree Houston style entertainment strip (with Byzantio's, PJs Pub, Cecil's and all those places close together).

Old 07-25-2010, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
I'd hate to see you in an interrogation room. Okay, I lied. I'd love to see that.
have you taken an IQ test before? lets try this a bit slower for you.
1.NYC is densely built out.
2.NYC has taken over the other side of the hudson.
3.It would not be easy to find land to build another stadium in the island or close to it.
4.The Giants stadium was a good use for new jersey marshlands (theres nothing there at all).
5.guess what is in the middle of NYC and whiney Upstate NY. New Jersey duh
6.Sometimes concerts are done in 2 locations 5miles apart to reach the patrons. Its that densely populated. needless to say the paying crowd is evenly distributed in the region
7.You are dense, while Houston isnt.
8.The city's name also does not make the band's tour schedule look good. Maybe Houston is too mexican or too oil guy a**holey or just all biz uptight. totall y uncool

Last edited by SteveArmy; 07-25-2010 at 11:55 AM..

Old 07-25-2010, 11:25 AM

1,678 posts, read 3,745,559 times
Quote:
this is our way of feeling good about this city. back where I came from its called crab mentality
Actually I just posted that article to make fun of those supposed "best/worst places" lists.

Old 07-25-2010, 11:36 AM

316 posts, read 785,364 times
Houston is the fourth largest city in the US yet it obviously lacks so much regarding entertainment. Aside from you typical chain restaurants, oil funded museums, strip malls, check cashing joints, dive bars, and hotels, there really isn't much that puts Houston in the same class as some of other world class U.S. cities: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, D.C - etc, Most commercial developers still think Houston is a Blue collar unsophisticated, gun toting, third world attracting transitional sunbelt city, with it's native population roughly 72% are mostly stubborn Conservatives who do not welcome change, and that's why in 2010 Houston is still far behind even many mid sized cities that have had extensive urban development make-overs, San Diego, Charleston S.C., and Charlotte N.C. - Houston needs, Connectivity: Developing a viable street grid more supportive of pedestrians - it also needs to continue to develop its Civic Space: Incorporating opportunities for activities, outside dining, district type shopping, things for young families, and visitors to enjoy and people-watch.

Houston has always been thought of as a blue-collar town. This city will never be an entertainment attraction for tourists. People come here to work, get a nice home for cheap, Pay zero state income tax and leave the city for any Real Entertainment - please see: Los Angeles - O.C, San Diego, S.F., NYC, Miami, Las Vegas etc for real entertainment- Downtown is filled with numerous windowless street level buildings, that do not contribute to a walkable shopping districts or a pleasant place to spend more than a hour or two with your friends or family -

If Houston had a visionary leader during the recent economic boom 2002-2007 time-frame, it could have become a pretty decent destination city and capture new investment and additional tourism dollars. The problem with this place is lack of mobility. If it invested any money into it's infrastructure, roads freeways etc and had a well thought out rail system to get around the urban sprawl, it would make a huge difference on perception. Beside perception, I believe it would enhance the continued efforts of downtown to become a destination with entertainment and night life. Also, it would help getting to and from areas such as the Galleria to Downtown - The fact is, Houston is still not really not even close to becoming a exciting place - And to many of it's transplants from far away exotic places like OK, MS, AL, LA, GA and OH this place might not be that bad, but if your from one of the super-powers below, get ready for a downgrade - it's like going from your IPhone 4 to a pre paid phone on Cricket...brain drain - The top four markets--all of which are gateway, 24-hour cities heavy on brain power with significant geographic barriers to entry:

• Washington D.C.
• San Francisco
• Boston
• New York

oh yeah, I forgot too add- San Diego, L.A, Seattle and Austin

Old 07-25-2010, 11:58 AM

125 posts, read 312,843 times
Quote:
no. they could be in a wheel chair. anyway, all that spectating is not exciting for straight guys
But apparently straight guys can sit around staring at their computer typing out personal attacks ? We have a good number of sports teams, weather that allows for outdoor activities most of the year, and yes good museums and restaurants. I vote not boring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston