Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 12:00 PM

848 posts, read 2,129,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphajet View Post
Houston is the fourth largest city in the US yet it obviously lacks so much regarding entertainment. Aside from you typical chain restaurants, oil funded museums, strip malls, check cashing joints, dive bars, and hotels, there really isn't much that puts Houston in the same class as some of other world class U.S. cities: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, D.C - etc, Most commercial developers still think Houston is a Blue collar unsophisticated, gun toting, third world attracting transitional sunbelt city, with it's native population roughly 72% are mostly stubborn Conservatives who do not welcome change, and that's why in 2010 Houston is still far behind even many mid sized cities that have had extensive urban development make-overs, San Diego, Charleston S.C., and Charlotte N.C. - Houston needs, Connectivity: Developing a viable street grid more supportive of pedestrians - it also needs to continue to develop its Civic Space: Incorporating opportunities for activities, outside dining, district type shopping, things for young families, and visitors to enjoy and people-watch.

Houston has always been thought of as a blue-collar town. This city will never be an entertainment attraction for tourists. People come here to work, get a nice home for cheap, Pay zero state income tax and leave the city for any Real Entertainment - please see: Los Angeles - O.C, San Diego, S.F., NYC, Miami, Las Vegas etc for real entertainment- Downtown is filled with numerous windowless street level buildings, that do not contribute to a walkable shopping districts or a pleasant place to spend more than a hour or two with your friends or family -

If Houston had a visionary leader during the recent economic boom 2002-2007 time-frame, it could have become a pretty decent destination city and capture new investment and additional tourism dollars. The problem with this place is lack of mobility. If it invested any money into it's infrastructure, roads freeways etc and had a well thought out rail system to get around the urban sprawl, it would make a huge difference on perception. Beside perception, I believe it would enhance the continued efforts of downtown to become a destination with entertainment and night life. Also, it would help getting to and from areas such as the Galleria to Downtown - The fact is, Houston is still not really not even close to becoming a exciting place - And to many of it's transplants from far away exotic places like OK, MS, AL, LA, GA and OH this place might not be that bad, but if your from one of the super-powers below, get ready for a downgrade - it's like going from your IPhone 4 to a pre paid phone on Cricket...brain drain - The top four markets--all of which are gateway, 24-hour cities heavy on brain power with significant geographic barriers to entry:

• Washington D.C.
• San Francisco
• Boston
• New York

oh yeah, I forgot too add- San Diego, L.A, Seattle and Austin
Typical outdated Houston-bashing material.

This is where your incessant criticism of Houston totally loses credibility:
"And to many of it's transplants from far away exotic places like OK, MS, AL, LA, GA and OH "

What certain developers think is entirely different from what Houston actually is judging by the fact that Houston has over 90 foreign consulates, which is no. 3 in the USA behind only NY and LA. Close to 100 languages, if not more, are spoken in Houston.

Black Enterprise once hailed Houston as the best place for blacks in one edition.

Houston's Asian presence has increased by 90% from 1990 to 2000...and boy, the foreign population just keeps pouring it on here judging by the plethora of late night eateries that are popping up on Bellaire Blvd. I can have pho, dumplings, or funky Asian fusion until 2:00 or 3:00am in the morning...similar to any of the other major cosmopolitan cities of the US, eh?

So actually, Houston is made up of more than just people from Louisiana and Georgia. Indeed, Houston is more and more being made up of domestic refugees from California.

Having lived in SoCal for four years, both Los Angeles and San Diego also suffer from "typical chain restaurants...strip malls, check cashing joints, dive bars, and hotels" in a manner quite similar to Houston. Yes, they have their cliched and overused touristy points but I'll still take my odd variety of Old Town Spring, Kemah, Woodlands Waterway, Montrose, City Centre, downtown Houston night culture (which downtown Los Angeles lacks) and etc. over what's become the uniform of the SoCal cities. I mean, I chuckle at how San Diego's Hillcrest tries to be so WeHo. At least Houston's Montrose has its own weird and eccentric personality and style.

As much as I love LA, I got eventually sick of how Santa Monica, Old Town Pasadena, Melrose Ave and Robertson Blvd have that all too similar street texture. No thanks. I appreciate Houston's more superior mix of old and new from 19th Street and Old Town Spring all way on up to the new City Centre, Midtown and such...with the likes of the Montrose and Rice Village in between. Those areas as a metro package form a regional appeal...but still maintain THEIR OWN unique texture.

In terms of overall edge apart from the tourist spots...c'mon, San Diego and Austin have nothing on the definitely more cosmopolitan Houston.

Can't even really find pupuserias and halal chops n shops in San Diego. Can't find that Asian food nightlife in Austin...furthermore, can't find that tasty Nigerian-style chicken rice in those other cities either.

No sophisticated Theater District crowds in downtown LA on a Thursday night...

Las Vegas is "real entertainment?" Houston's got everything from pro sports to high-class theater and ballet. Vegas, um, does not match that.

Boston...very much lacking in Filipino restaurants (which Houston has far more of) and overtaken by the dynamic Texas Medical Center which has attracted the needs and cooperation, if not employment, of celebrities (see: Eddie Van Halen, Cindy Crawford, Ronnie James Dio, and the husband of Jaclyn Smith who is a surgeon at Memorial Hermann).

It's one thing to say Houston sucks because of sprawl...it's another to say it's "boring," which is quite untrue.

Last edited by worldlyman; 07-25-2010 at 12:16 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,805,843 times
Houston is only going to get even better. So just wait and have patience.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:02 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,742,477 times
It's true that we don't have many visitor attractions compared with say Philadelphia, but dominated by chain restaurants?

We have one of the largest concentrations of restaurants in the world, most of them not chains. Guy Fieri even brought his show Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives here to look at several places.

http://www.flavortownusa.com/Locations.aspx

In many cases we are already more of a 24 hour city compared with say Boston or Phoenix. Try finding anything open late at night in those cities.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:13 PM

1,474 posts, read 5,000,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoughRider View Post
But apparently straight guys can sit around staring at their computer typing out personal attacks ? We have a good number of sports teams, weather that allows for outdoor activities most of the year, and yes good museums and restaurants. I vote not boring.
I'm at work duh. Rough Rider ey. atleast your name is 'exciting'

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post

It already is better. Some filling in at some points could be improved but H-town is on the right track.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyman View Post
Typical outdated Houston-bashing material.

This is where your incessant criticism of Houston totally loses credibility:
"And to many of it's transplants from far away exotic places like OK, MS, AL, LA, GA and OH "

What certain developers think is entirely different from what Houston actually is judging by the fact that Houston has over 90 foreign consulates, which is no. 3 in the USA behind only NY and LA. Close to 100 languages, if not more, are spoken in Houston.

Black Enterprise once hailed Houston as the best place for blacks in one edition.

Houston's Asian presence has increased by 90% from 1990 to 2000...and boy, the foreign population just keeps pouring it on here judging by the plethora of late night eateries that are popping up on Bellaire Blvd. I can have pho, dumplings, or funky Asian fusion until 2:00 or 3:00am in the morning...similar to any of the other major cosmopolitan cities of the US, eh?

So actually, Houston is made up of more than just people from Louisiana and Georgia. Indeed, Houston is more and more being made up of domestic refugees from California.

Having lived in SoCal for four years, both Los Angeles and San Diego also suffer from "typical chain restaurants...strip malls, check cashing joints, dive bars, and hotels" in a manner quite similar to Houston. Yes, they have their cliched and overused touristy points but I'll still take my odd variety of Old Town Spring, Kemah, Woodlands Waterway, Montrose, City Centre, downtown Houston night culture (which downtown Los Angeles lacks) and etc. over what's become the uniform of the SoCal cities. I mean, I chuckle at how San Diego's Hillcrest tries to be so WeHo. At least Houston's Montrose has its own weird and eccentric personality and style.

As much as I love LA, I got eventually sick of how Santa Monica, Old Town Pasadena, Melrose Ave and Robertson Blvd have that all too similar street texture. No thanks. I appreciate Houston's more superior mix of old and new from 19th Street and Old Town Spring all way on up to the new City Centre, Midtown and such...with the likes of the Montrose and Rice Village in between. Those areas as a metro package form a regional appeal...but still maintain THEIR OWN unique texture.

In terms of overall edge apart from the tourist spots...c'mon, San Diego and Austin have nothing on the definitely more cosmopolitan Houston.

Can't even really find pupuserias and halal chops n shops in San Diego. Can't find that Asian food nightlife in Austin...furthermore, can't find that tasty Nigerian-style chicken rice in those other cities either.

No sophisticated Theater District crowds in downtown LA on a Thursday night...

Las Vegas is "real entertainment?" Houston's got everything from pro sports to high-class theater and ballet. Vegas, um, does not match that.

Boston...very much lacking in Filipino restaurants (which Houston has far more of) and overtaken by the dynamic Texas Medical Center which has attracted the needs and cooperation, if not employment, of celebrities (see: Eddie Van Halen, Cindy Crawford, Ronnie James Dio, and the husband of Jaclyn Smith who is a surgeon at Memorial Hermann).

It's one thing to say Houston sucks because of sprawl...it's another to say it's "boring," which is quite untrue.
nothing you wrote there sounds exciting. how about do something(the original topic) then eat out(yes we have options, sort of, but doesnt matter, plain water is fine if you are finished doing something fun)

Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,586,903 times
Three years later, Wizzy has still not really made clear what he thinks is a good time. He seems like an extremely boring individual.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
thanks to the people who point out what is needed or would like to see. thanks to the changing (less clueless locals) demographics of houston

Old 07-25-2010, 12:25 PM

Well, let's see. Visitors who are shown around town, from my experience, enjoy the city very much. My cousin from Florida enjoyed the late night Asian eateries...an ex-classmate of mine from Florida enjoyed the Galleria and even the downtown tunnel system (on a second trip, he REQUESTED to see the tunnels again)...a girl from San Francisco who's a pal of a pal, she enjoyed the ambience over at La Carafe in downtown...on the drive on I-10, she remarked with a fixed gaze at "how pretty" downtown looked at night...

No, Houston is not boring. It's not set up like a tourist trap city. But considering it has all sorts of diversions, no, it's not "boring."

Last edited by worldlyman; 07-25-2010 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-25-2010, 12:39 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,130,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmy View Post
no. they could be in a wheel chair. anyway, all that spectating is not exciting for straight guys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston