Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 03:13 PM

867 posts, read 2,977,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Should it be really too hard to fill up Thursday-Sunday with 200 people? I mean, is this city of Houston always going to be not a real city?
Go ahead and see for yourself.

Pretty soon people will be able to go clubbing virtually due to continued advances in computer/communications technology.

http://www.secondclubs.com/2009/04/ambrosia-dance-club.html (broken link)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain-computer_interface

Last edited by Alphalogica; 09-19-2010 at 03:22 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 03:27 PM

413 posts, read 819,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphalogica View Post
Go ahead and see for yourself.

Pretty soon people will be able to go clubbing virtually due to continued advances in computer/communications technology.

Second Life Club Reviews: Ambrosia Dance Club ★★★★★ (http://www.secondclubs.com/2009/04/ambrosia-dance-club.html - broken link)

Brain
That's pretty sad. But I can see it happening in the boredom that is Houston where people drive to go two blocks.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Houston is just different - people have money but very few are big spenders on nightlife. For the most part the vast majority are interested in upscale pubs and the like where they can just grab a beer with friends. The rest are the younger crowd who are looking for a cheap place that looks nice where they can hope for hook-up. It's a real city just not Miami or LA - each city is unique and it is what it is. If you want to open a bar - look for a niche that isn's so pricey and a smaller place. Check out Anvil in Montrose - pricey drinks but a rather smallish venue and certainly not pretentious. People love it but I don't think the vast majority of Houston people like pretentious - it really just isn't Houston. Its been tried before - particularly when they tried to turn downtown into upscale clubs - it only lasted a short while (think Oz and a few others of similar ilk)

Old 09-19-2010, 04:11 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,216,670 times
Been tried, worked for a little while then the owners had to expand the entry because THE crowd had other interests (fickle). Houston attitudes are not generally as pretentious as Miami or NYC or for that matter, Dallas. Go ahead and give it a try, but don't expect it to last as high end more than 9 mos.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Clubs tend to make most of their money in the first 3 months, then the newness dies off and the Uptown crowd wants something else. Visit the venues downtown and ask why they have not had 'long term' success.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM

32 posts, read 77,298 times
You can do anything you put your mind to. Almost every huge success story I've ever heard starts with people going against the grain, taking the road less traveled by, defying others negative thoughts, and believing in their goal even when everyone else was telling them no. Do your research. Take your time; don't rush into it. Make sure you really, really educate yourself on the city, its people, and its clubs and why the ones that weren't successful failed, and why the successful ones are different. Take your time getting the PERFECT location/spot. Pour your sweat, blood, and tears into the project--work your behind off making sure that you know everything you need to know and are doing everything you need to do to make your club the first of it's kind to succeed.

One of my favorite quotes: "Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration--it's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing." ~Muhammad Ali

haha :-)

Last edited by GoneToHouston; 09-19-2010 at 05:49 PM..

Old 09-19-2010, 04:47 PM

295 posts, read 1,169,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Energy_Fin_Guy View Post
Houston night life seems like it's very "good ol' boy" for the most part. Much more like a college town (Austin), than other big cities: NY, LA, Miami, etc..

A good friend of mine is moving back to Houston (where he grew up) after few years in Miami. He has some entrepeneurial thoughts in mind among which is the idea of opening a South Beach type club in Houston. I am considering investing some of my savings to fund this idea and hopefully make a good return.

Althought I am not blind to the different vibe between Miami and Houston, I believe in a city of 5+ million people there is a market for anything. Having partied at Miami's hottest clubs several times, I have come to notice this is what characterizes them:

1. A sexy youngish (21-35) crowd ready to party, 60 percent women, 40 percent men (this is what keeps men coming)
2. Selection at the door based strictly on look, returning clientele or willingness for men to buy their way in ($600 on average for a table with two bottles)
3. Stricly house music spinned by fairly to very famous DJs (no hip hop at all, which makes a natural selection of clientele if you know what I mean :-))
4. Typically cover charge for men is $25, women it just depends on thir look (can be free or can be less than $25)
5. Drinks average price at $14-16
6. Promoters at the door dressed in a suit, huge bouncers inside the club (also in a suit)
7. Amazing/unique, luxurious and fancy club design
8. Very good looking female bartenders and dancers in skimpy bikinis
9. Club doesn't have to be necessarily too big (think of Mynt or Mokai)

Why Houston?
1. There is no such club. The most pretentious clubs I have seen are on Washington, but they don't come even close.
2. Lots of young people (apparently one of the top cities for single) with good disposable income (probably more so than in Miami on average given the better job market and cheaper cost of living)
3. No other club in the city spins House music
4. Similarity with Miami in the sense of Latin American population (people come to Houston to shop at the Galleria, which means they have money to spend)
5. A fair amount of Europeans Expats (think energy industry) who all tend to hate hip hop music and typical American style clubs

What do you all think? Is there a market for this in Houston just as there is in other big cities NY, LA, etc? Location would be key, so where?
lol i dont go to clubs. isnt this discrimation?

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,739,603 times
In my opinion I just say go for it. Houston's nightlife could use some more diversity.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:15 PM

3,085 posts, read 5,240,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
Of course it is. Number 3 says it all. Another reason the OP should definitely reconsider this ill-advised idea.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:16 PM

413 posts, read 819,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2bPinoy View Post
To an extent, selection at the door happens at most clubs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston