Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2010, 09:23 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,270,067 times

Advertisements

I guess unions are good for something, someone..... Parker taking city pension cuts battle to Legislature | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

When you have no money, and your spouse wants to buy a new sofa, what do you do? Common sense says you would not buy it. Or, the not so smart decision would be to 'charge' it, pay later. It is common sense here what Houston needs to do, even if the Ponzi scheme was legal, it still does not work in the end. And the surviving spouse gets 100% of the benefits? I chose the wrong profession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2010, 10:24 AM

344 posts, read 1,187,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I guess unions are good for something, someone.....
The politicians created this beast years ago and current and future taxpayers get stuck with the bill. Some of it goes back years, like the McConn and Whitmire administrations. But the real damage came under Lee Brown, who created golden handcuffs to keep cops working in Houston (rather than retiring and going elsewhere) by creating huge future pension liabilities rather than incurring current expenses with new-hires and pay raises. Oh, and in exchange he finagled a deal in which the city reduced its share of contributions to the pension funds.

The police pension board sued the city to try and force it do the right thing. Bill White said he would, but all he really did was reduce pensions and continue to dodge making the required payments by creating an even larger debt in the form of pension bonds.

Parker is just another politician.

I don't know squat about the condition of the fire dudes' pension system, but in light of the past history of politicians screwing the pooch on this issue - I'm not going to just jump up and root for Parker on this one.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,685 times
The city can only tax so much before it loses the ability to increase revenue. One would think the public sector unions would see this and try to create a sustainable system. That being said, I would really hate to see the firefighters get hurt in this. Unlike police officers who tend to enjoy the authority, fire fighters are true public servants. They just want to fight fires and the rank and file were not a part of the golden pension problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston