Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,611,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk11ns View Post
I read about this in great detail. Apparently, the City of Houston is wanting to attract more tourist and believes that creating an "International" square with high end shopping will attract them. It's supposed to rival the Galleria. I think it is bogus - I mean, look at the surrounding area. You drive 5 blocks to the east and you are in a bad part of town. I think if anything it will turn into another Gulf Gate mall....
Actually. I think it is more of a promenade or park than an international square. It's to honor Houston's sister cities. I see no problem with that. About the surrounding areas, there are great parks and squares that are highly used not far from bad areas in towns around this country and world. But I think those may go away as the property value for the land is going to skyrocket once the rail opens and the stadium is operating. As far as how cheap the stadium look. Well, it's $110 million dollars. Very cheap compared to other stadiums/arenas in other leagues. If you look around MLS, not many other stadiums cost that much more.

Are you expecting some type of Reliant? Because that wasn't going to happen. MLS is still a distant 5th behind the top 4 pro sports in this country. It's even behind college football and basketball. It's growing, but not to the point where you should expect to see state of the art high priced stadiums dotting around the country for their league. I personally think it's a great stadium and could help the area in general if things go right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:16 PM

613 posts, read 1,003,511 times
Quote:
Wow this has to be the cheapest looking stadium I have ever seen. Everyone says it looks nice but seriously, there is NOTHING state of the art in this structure. It's a rudimentary outdoor stadium disguised behind a mesh-looking encasing.

Why do we need a new stadium anyways? Couldn't we just revive the Astrodome and call it the Dynamo Dome or something? What a waste of money. . . .
Have you actually seen the stadium or are you basing this off of pictures? I drive by it every now and then, it looks good. Inside is going to be excellent, not a bad seat in the house. We have season tickets and are raring to go.

The Astrodome? Are you serious? MLS is moving towards special purpose soccer stadiums to mirror the growth of the league. Playing in the Astrodome would be a step back. It would be a horrible place to have a soccer stadium, possibly worse than Robertson Stadium was.

Spade: on MLS being a distant 5th, MLS actually had higher average attendance than both the NBA and the NHL during 2011. MLS was 17,782 per game, NBA was 17,323, NHL was 17,132. MLS average attendance will be boosted by the Dynamo move to a bigger stadium.

TV ratings are rapidly increasing, the new TV deal will further that, not to mention English Premier League matches being shown on broadcast TV for the first time this season.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,818,235 times
Quote:
Wow this has to be the cheapest looking stadium I have ever seen. Everyone says it looks nice but seriously, there is NOTHING state of the art in this structure. It's a rudimentary outdoor stadium disguised behind a mesh-looking encasing.

Why do we need a new stadium anyways? Couldn't we just revive the Astrodome and call it the Dynamo Dome or something? What a waste of money. . . .
I can't believe you feel that way.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:02 AM

18,144 posts, read 25,346,422 times
Quote:
Were you trying to google "Definition of "contradiction"" and accidently put it in your post? Because I in no way contradicted myself.

Behind the mesh facade, the stadium looks like crap. Period. I'm sure the reason why it looks like this is because Soccer is not the most popular sport in the United States - YET! Once it becomes more popular and more profitable then the stadiums will probably look better. But for now, this crud will have to do.
The stadium looks like crap because soccer is not popular
and will look better when soccer is more popular .... WOW, thanks, I learned something new today.
I guess that makes the Sporting Kansas City stadium ugly, too. Pic01, Pic02, Pic03

If it makes you feel better about the stadium, Texas Southern University is also going to play football in that stadium (Wow, now it looks better)

I'm just guessing,
but I think the stadium will look better once they actually finish building it.

Last edited by Dopo; 01-31-2012 at 07:13 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 09:02 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,058,654 times
New pic on progress.
http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/396185_10150494141401150_20105631149_8962236_16281 23909_n.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-31-2012, 10:15 AM

20,525 posts, read 33,611,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post

Spade: on MLS being a distant 5th, MLS actually had higher average attendance than both the NBA and the NHL during 2011. MLS was 17,782 per game, NBA was 17,323, NHL was 17,132. MLS average attendance will be boosted by the Dynamo move to a bigger stadium.

TV ratings are rapidly increasing, the new TV deal will further that, not to mention English Premier League matches being shown on broadcast TV for the first time this season.
Well MLS would have higher attendance seeing as how a couple of their teams play in NFL stadiums. Still, I'm glad to see the MLS improving. But how many people watched the MLS Cup compared to the NBA Finals or even Stanley Cup Finals? What were the ratings. I bet if you walked around and asked the average sports fan who played in the MLS Cup, you'd get a blank stare. The sport isn't really that household yet. This is coming from an MLS Fan.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM

18,144 posts, read 25,346,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well MLS would have higher attendance seeing as how a couple of their teams play in NFL stadiums. Still, I'm glad to see the MLS improving. But how many people watched the MLS Cup compared to the NBA Finals or even Stanley Cup Finals? What were the ratings. I bet if you walked around and asked the average sports fan who played in the MLS Cup, you'd get a blank stare. The sport isn't really that household yet. This is coming from an MLS Fan.
Ok, nobody watches MLS
I never hear people complaining about the popularity of High School football everytime a new stadium is built (What kind of ratings do they get on TV?)

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/402217_273398009392706_246126468786527_737199_6351 84716_n.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Dopo; 01-31-2012 at 11:21 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM

613 posts, read 1,003,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Doesn't explain 2011 being the first time that it happened. MLS average attendance increased by 7.2% in 2011. Two new teams joined the league in 2011, neither played in an NFL stadium. Vancouver capacity is 22,000 (they averaged 20,412 per game), Portland capacity is 18,627 and they sold out every game.

Three teams currently play in NFL stadiums. DC United - they only drew 15,181 per game in 2011, so that doesn't explain the average attendance figures, New England Revolution - seating is actually limited for their games to 22,385 rather than full NFL capacity, and Sounders FC - seating is limited there as well to 35,700 rather than full NFL capacity.

That aside - Seattle drew an average 38,496 per game in 2011. Put an NBA team or NHL team in a stadium with that capacity and do you think they'd actually fill it? I'd tend to say no.

No doubt, the MLS fan base is smaller than the NBA. However, I'd tend to say the core fan is far more passionate and the match day experience is much more enjoyable. The more fans who are exposed to the environment that you get at Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. the more fans the league will draw. Example from Portland last season:
Timbers FC Home Opener National Anthem - YouTube

The new stadium here will provide the same kind of environment. It will be a fortress for the Dynamo, the place will be rocking.

Old 01-31-2012, 11:43 AM

18,495 posts, read 33,006,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post

No doubt, the MLS fan base is smaller than the NBA. However, I'd tend to say the core fan is far more passionate and the match day experience is much more enjoyable. The more fans who are exposed to the environment that you get at Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. the more fans the league will draw. Example from Portland last season:
Timbers FC Home Opener National Anthem - YouTube

The new stadium here will provide the same kind of environment. It will be a fortress for the Dynamo, the place will be rocking.
Totally agree.

and yes MLS popularity keeps growing every year

Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 PM

7,544 posts, read 11,596,827 times
It would be funny if the teams moves to another city in 5 to 7 yrs the team goes on a long losing streak like the lastros
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston