Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

18,143 posts, read 25,340,169 times

Advertisements

Can't wait to see this in the Dynamo Stadium
(I had never seen this kind of support in the US,
I had only seen it in other countries)

Timbers Army Tetris vs Toronto - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 12:24 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,058,222 times
Funny I posted this thread 1 year ago and no one posted. Then someone revived it with new pictures and it turns into a 5 page thread. Go figure....

Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM

18,495 posts, read 33,001,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Love View Post
Funny I posted this thread 1 year ago and no one posted. Then someone revived it with new pictures and it turns into a 5 page thread. Go figure....
next time post some darn pics

Old 01-31-2012, 12:26 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,184,775 times
Quote:
Cain't git no love, Love? LOL

As a side note, it looks like a bird's nest where cheeto-eating birds had diarrhea.

Ronnie

Old 01-31-2012, 12:33 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,058,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
Cain't git no love, Love? LOL

As a side note, it looks like a bird's nest where cheeto-eating birds had diarrhea.

Ronnie
haha

Old 01-31-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:
What can I say, I make everything better (or extremely controversial)

Old 01-31-2012, 02:14 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,605,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Ok, nobody watches MLS
I never hear people complaining about the popularity of High School football everytime a new stadium is built (What kind of ratings do they get on TV?)

Oh you hear them. They just get drawn out. But are you speaking in general? Because I wasn't complaining about the stadium.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:53 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,605,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIBS98 View Post
Doesn't explain 2011 being the first time that it happened. MLS average attendance increased by 7.2% in 2011. Two new teams joined the league in 2011, neither played in an NFL stadium. Vancouver capacity is 22,000 (they averaged 20,412 per game), Portland capacity is 18,627 and they sold out every game.

Three teams currently play in NFL stadiums. DC United - they only drew 15,181 per game in 2011, so that doesn't explain the average attendance figures, New England Revolution - seating is actually limited for their games to 22,385 rather than full NFL capacity, and Sounders FC - seating is limited there as well to 35,700 rather than full NFL capacity.

That aside - Seattle drew an average 38,496 per game in 2011. Put an NBA team or NHL team in a stadium with that capacity and do you think they'd actually fill it? I'd tend to say no.

No doubt, the MLS fan base is smaller than the NBA. However, I'd tend to say the core fan is far more passionate and the match day experience is much more enjoyable. The more fans who are exposed to the environment that you get at Portland, Seattle, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Chicago, etc. the more fans the league will draw. Example from Portland last season:
Timbers FC Home Opener National Anthem - YouTube

The new stadium here will provide the same kind of environment. It will be a fortress for the Dynamo, the place will be rocking.
I don't disagree that the MLS fanbase is more passionate and the experience is probably more enjoyable. The MLS hasn't hasn't been taken over by the corporate world yet like the other leagues have. I can say that with confidence because the top college basketball venues like Phog Allen and Cameron Indoor Stadium has top notch experience and the fans are far more passionate than any NBA arena.

NE drawing 22,000 and Seattle drawing 38,000 still is far more than any NBA team could ever do. Especially Seattle. I'm sure if you put an NBA team in a large open stadium like the MLS, it wouldn't have that type of attendance either. But what's the point of saying that? These are two different type of sports. MLS plays in large open air stadiums. NBA and NHL plays in smaller enclosed arenas. It's comparing apples and oranges.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't disagree that the MLS fanbase is more passionate and the experience is probably more enjoyable. The MLS hasn't hasn't been taken over by the corporate world yet like the other leagues have.
It's all about rules and laws.
to give you an example, in England people can't stand up while watching the games and they have to sing sitting down.

In South America... well, you could say that the fans are the ones that make the rules.

UNIVERSIDAD CATOLICA VS BOCA JUNIORS - SALIDA DE LOS CRUZADOS - YouTube

Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 PM

613 posts, read 1,003,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
It's all about rules and laws.
to give you an example, in England people can't stand up while watching the games and they have to sing sitting down.

You are confused on that point. The rules are that the stadiums must have seats. There used to be "stands" where there were no seats and fans would cram in. As you might imagine, you'd get a lot of surge within the stands based on the action. There were a handful of tragedies at English stadiums which were attributed to the nature of the stands, thus stands were abolished.

There is no rule against standing at your seat. I used to live in London and attended matches regularly. The "fan clubs", similar to the Timber Army shown in the Portland clips, generally stands through the entire match.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston