Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 05:27 AM

20 posts, read 91,656 times

Advertisements

Hi to all the Houstonians!! My husband and 2 kids (8 and 10) just took off for a road trip to check out Houston (from MI). First he's heading to San Antonio to drop the chicklets off with his brother and wife. Then its on to Houston to check out the housing/job market for 2-3 weeks. So, if ya happen to see a man with MI plates on his car who looks kinda dazed and confused, that would be my husband. My appeal is for you wonderful Houston folks to be as nice and kind as I know you are, cause I WANNA MOVE TO HOUSTON!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 09:05 AM

25 posts, read 77,451 times
Hi!
You sound just like me. My husband and I are from Michigan and took a road trip this past spring just to see for ourselves what Houston was about. We absolutely LOVED it! There were some areas (as in any big city) that seemed to be less than desirable but for the most part it was beautiful.

There were very nice areas both in and outside of Houston. Some of the internal areas had older homes that remind me of Grosse Pointe, and they also had newer suburbs with lush green lawns and huge backyards. Some homes even had Palm trees!!

The people were very friendly so your husband should have no trouble. We have no family there so we realize its a big sacrifice but the area I live can get no worse and I think ultimately its the move to make.

Old 07-24-2007, 04:03 PM

Default made that move yet?

Thanks for the reply, mrsness, have you made the move yet to Houston? We are in West MI, but the economy here is no better that the Detroit area. Plus culturally it sucks!

Old 07-24-2007, 05:01 PM

66 posts, read 449,484 times
Default We felt very welcome

We were in Houston in March and everywhere we went people were so friendly. We had out 8 yr old daughter with us and she even noticed.. she kept saying people say hi here LOL.. We live in Florida now and maybe its where we live but people are just plain rude!!! I am so looking forward to moving already.. our house in Katy should be ready in Nov/Dec Good luck

Old 07-25-2007, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddysammy View Post
We were in Houston in March and everywhere we went people were so friendly. We had out 8 yr old daughter with us and she even noticed.. she kept saying people say hi here LOL.. We live in Florida now and maybe its where we live but people are just plain rude!!! I am so looking forward to moving already.. our house in Katy should be ready in Nov/Dec Good luck
Are you having a house built?

Old 07-25-2007, 08:35 AM

66 posts, read 449,484 times
Default katy

Yes our house will be ready Nov/Dec we are building in firethrone with coventry homes.. we are very excited... if you have any questions you can pm me!

Old 07-25-2007, 08:40 AM

25 posts, read 77,451 times
We have not moved yet and due to family obligations our plans may have to be put on hold for a year. My company was bought out and the thought of having to look for another job here is very depressing to me. There seems to be so many more opportunities in TX.

I hear that the weather there is really humid during the summer but when we went in late April it was beautiful. I would trade the heat for our snow anyday.

Heard any news from your husband and what he thinks about TX so far?

Old 07-25-2007, 10:33 AM

168 posts, read 772,739 times
While you're here take some time to check out the fun things too. We've got tons of great restaurants, clubs, museums, bands, golf courses, parks, the Galleria (if you like shopping), the beach in Galveston, Kemah boardwalk, NASA, etc. You have GOT to go to a good Mexican restaurant and have a top shelf margarita!!

Pick up a copy of Houston Press (free) for restaurant reviews and things happening around town.

The weather is in your favor right now. With all the rain lately I haven't seen a summer this mild in....ever!

Old 07-25-2007, 04:29 PM

Default Hubby and kids are there!

OK the big kahuna and kahunaettes have made it to San Antonio! He will stay there w/brother for a day or 2 and head on to Houston. He had me email his resume to him because he already found 2 job opportunities-1 in SA and another thru chron.com for Houston. He WAS a plant manager/engineer in the automotive industry here in MI, but manufacturing here is almost non-existent. Of course, they made sure to call me from somewhere outside of Dallas to tell me about "the best dang burrittos they ever had in life"......little rats! mrsness, I completely feel you regarding the snow. Here in West MI. its not unusual for it to begin to snow around Thanksgiving and proceed to snow every single day until January. Thats when we get some relief from the snow cause then it gets too COLD to snow. maddysammy, congrats on the new home and I hope it all goes well. Oh yeah, mjewell, the big rat (I'm just jealous I'm not there), after the burritto rub, also said the waitress said the same thing about the weather being exceptionally mild for this time of year. Sounds faaaannnntastic!!! Think I'll get some Grand Marnier and make my own top shelf margarita, sob!

Old 07-25-2007, 05:10 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
It's going to be wet for the next couple days - get used to rain - and be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston