Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftjoe12 View Post
Funny how capitalism lead to the rise of the strongest economy in history with the strongest personal freedoms. Anti-tax? Hell yes. If you don't understand how lowering taxes will actually increase revenue there's not much point in arguing with you. Move to California, pay high taxes, try to find a job with 1 of these evil companies, and then wonder why their schools are in even worse shape than ours.

Again, more money isn't going to lead to a better education.
First of all, when did I say companies were evil? Those are your words, not mine. Also, I never said we should tax more. We should not be giving out all these crazy "we won't tax your company for 10 years" incentives. This is killing us. Care to explain our state's deficit? After all, we are the most business friendly.

Oh, and by the way, California schools run circles around our schools. And as for secondary education CA vs. TX? Not even in the same league.

I never said more money leads to better education, but I do promise you that less money will lead to worse education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 04:31 PM

3 posts, read 5,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeyinhouston View Post
[URL="http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7462116.html"]Fort Bend ISD declares financial emergency amid state cuts | Houston & Texas News | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle[/URL]

[url=http://www.khou.com/news/local/Parents-unhappy-with-Fort-Bend-ISD-rezoning-process-117563568.html]Parents express concern about Fort Bend ISD rezoning plan | khou.com | khou.com Local News[/url]
Yes, the FBISD woes continue ... News at 10 ...

Superintendent Jenney announces HIS "voluntary retirement" to boost morale of the beleaguered School District ...
Also announces the "voluntary retirement" of his 3 (THREE) personal clerical assistants to help district budget shortfalls

"Voluntary retirements" of numerous Area & Asst. Superintendents and Directors will soon follow ... stay tuned

(WE WISH ...)

Old 03-08-2011, 04:42 PM

46 posts, read 119,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
First of all, when did I say companies were evil? Those are your words, not mine. Also, I never said we should tax more. We should not be giving out all these crazy "we won't tax your company for 10 years" incentives. This is killing us. Care to explain our state's deficit? After all, we are the most business friendly.

Oh, and by the way, California schools run circles around our schools. And as for secondary education CA vs. TX? Not even in the same league.

I never said more money leads to better education, but I do promise you that less money will lead to worse education.
Yea. The jobs and extra tax base created by those deals is just so terrible. We would be better off letting other states draw in those companies so we can have double-digit unemployment like other states.

It sounds like you should move if you believe all you say.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,906 times
Quote:
Yea. The jobs and extra tax base created by those deals is just so terrible. We would be better off letting other states draw in those companies so we can have double-digit unemployment like other states.

I heartily agree !!

Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Tax abatements are a zero sum game. School district in north texas have honed them to a fine art. We could learn something. Some giving to Robinhood districts provide abatements, then the companies give back to the districts. A gift. Less than ordinary taxes would be, but not counted among revenue to be "shared". Everybody there wins and screw the rest of Texas.
This school finance system is so flawed as to be unworkable and grossly unfair. It needs fixing now. We will never see daylight until the lege comes up with another way to fund public education.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 3,558,741 times
I remember when we were all sold on the idea that the lotto would solve all these public school money issues once and for all. not.

Old 03-08-2011, 06:34 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:

ftjoe, IF THEY ARE SO WONDERFUL, WHY THE HUGE DEFICIT? And who are you to tell me to move? At least when I argue with people on here, I don't make up a new screenname and rep myself over and over again.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:16 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,830,745 times
Maybe if the FBISD Superintendent didn't have several assistants with thin resumes and fat paychecks, we could save a couple of teachers from layoffs. Ridiculous for an assistant without a college degree to earn $80K+.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:34 PM

171 posts, read 414,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Maybe if the FBISD Superintendent didn't have several assistants with thin resumes and fat paychecks, we could save a couple of teachers from layoffs. Ridiculous for an assistant without a college degree to earn $80K+.
All the while Fort Bend ISD is falling short of the other suburban school districts around it. That really is a shame, because Sugar Land is really a nice place, but the schools are starting to show their issues.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:42 PM

2 posts, read 2,992 times
ay i feel ya we going through the same thing up here in north east texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston