Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 02:22 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times

Advertisements

When in Mo., we paid state income tax and a 1% city earnings tax. Our property taxes in Rockwall Texas were higher than the combination income and property taxes in Mo. The Texas house was valued at $225, Mo. $325.
The county and the school districts give an over 65 exemption, but the MUD and some others do not. Our school taxes were frozen the year we turned 65. The non over 65 emption continues to increase, unless we fight the HCAD, which we do every year.
Cheryjohns is correct. Anyone who buys my house early in the year would save enough on the taxes to put in granite.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 02:36 PM

363 posts, read 557,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasltx View Post
The figures for Houston and LA:

Groceries - HOU/85.1 LA/106.0
Utilities - HOU/97.9 LA/101.9
Overall - HOU/92.1 LA/136.2
First of all Groceries are no where near as expensive. Check out stores as I listed above. HEB is comparative is not the same as Ralph's. Same said for Randalls & Kroger to Vons. I see no difference in grocery expense as I lived in California for years.

Utilities (depending on company SoCal Edison is higher) vary, I used DWP and my electric bills came every 2 months never topping 90 bucks a bill for a Bunaglow in Hollywood. Mind you this was just me so could be why it was so low.

Overall, you could say the COLA is about the same except the quality of life in Los Angeles is nicer because of more things to do. Access to better beaches, nightlife, Disneyland, Hollywood, etc...

Old 03-17-2011, 03:12 PM

145 posts, read 382,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astoriahoney View Post
First of all Groceries are no where near as expensive. Check out stores as I listed above. HEB is comparative is not the same as Ralph's. Same said for Randalls & Kroger to Vons. I see no difference in grocery expense as I lived in California for years.
I will make sure and have the ACCRA statisticians call you next time they complete their objective, statistical analysis so that you can adjust them based on your personal perceptions. I am sure they are much more relaible than their scientifically-conducted quantitative analysis since, after all, you once lived there.

Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM

145 posts, read 382,908 times
Quote:
Overall, you could say the COLA is about the same except the quality of life in Los Angeles is nicer because of more things to do. Access to better beaches, nightlife, Disneyland, Hollywood, etc...
Whatever.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 PM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Not everyone is into the superficiality of Hollywood and Rodeo Drive. Some would prefer world-renowned museums, etc.

I will believe the cost of living is the same when I see a 2500 square foot home, in good condition, near good schools for under $250K in LA. How much would a 4500 square footer with a pool cost there? Here, you can get a beautiful house in Champions like that for $350K.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
FDO FDO started this thread

105 posts, read 315,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blewp View Post
LA doesn't have world renowned museums? I guess that whole experience at the J Paul Getty museum was all a dream then...
This is a food topic and not museum..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston