Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:59 AM

171 posts, read 414,359 times

Advertisements

Don't expect anything to change with Rick Perry in office until he dies. It is so sickening to know that either he's lying straight up or he really does believe that the decisions made at the state level are affecting kids in the classrooms. If it had no effect there would be no problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 07:27 AM

70 posts, read 340,528 times
Teacher layoffs are happening all over the country due to the federal government cutting education funds to the states. I'm working out of state right now (Kansas) but still maintain my home in Katy. Same thing is happening in the KC area, school districts looking for ways to accommodate the cuts in funding. From what I've read about KISD though, is it true that they have a "rainy day" fund? And couldn't they offset the cuts using that fund? Regardless, I was laid off twice last year. No tears will be shed on my part for any public service employee getting laid off. It happens all the time, just sucks that its happening in Katy. That was the main reason we moved to Katy, the school system. Hopefully, KISD can get a handle on their fiscal situation and not diminish the educational experience for the kids. It's also going to look awkward that KISD is building new schools and laying off teachers at the same time.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:40 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
I don't know what the kids hoped to accomplish - it's not like they are big campaign contributors or anything.
That's the sad reality of our political system, whoever got the biggest wallet is the one that will have the last word.
Not exactly my definition of democracy (definition = rule by the people)

Old 04-15-2011, 08:47 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
That's the sad reality of our political system, whoever got the biggest wallet is the one that will have the last word.
Not exactly my definition of democracy (definition = rule by the people)
You're right. Politicians and their funders send their kids to private schools. Public education for the lower and middle class is being systematically undermined throughout the country.

An educated public is not a good thing for a plutocracy.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:48 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
I don't know what the kids hoped to accomplish - it's not like they are big campaign contributors or anything.
The kids are there for agitprop*. The NEA supplies the cash. Apart from being a major electoral force (people in the education sector are perhaps 2% of the population), the NEA is one of the top ten campaign contributors in the country.

* It's pretty amusing that they're essentially asking for tax hikes on their parents.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:52 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
The kids are there for agitprop*. The NEA supplies the cash. Apart from being a major electoral force (people in the education sector are perhaps 2% of the population), the NEA is one of the top ten campaign contributors in the country.

* It's pretty amusing that they're essentially asking for tax hikes on their parents.
Interesting link.

Looks like the groups leaning towards the Democrats are not getting their moneys' worth.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:37 AM

1,329 posts, read 3,545,326 times
Quote:
Interesting link.

Looks like the groups leaning towards the Democrats are not getting their moneys' worth.
Actually, they are. Public sector salaries have increased much faster than private sector salaries. Think about it - home prices have increased faster than inflation for four decades, and property taxes, which are assessed as a % of home prices, are as high as they've ever been. It's just that they can't have both higher wages and higher numbers of employees. (An across the board wage cut would have obviated the need for layoffs).

A Houston teacher earning the median teacher salary pulls down the median household income all by her lonesome. Add a patrol cop's median salary to complete the household, and you're at anywhere from the 75th to the 85th percentile of US household incomes. How badly off can they be?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 PM

23,988 posts, read 15,086,618 times
It is contract signing time in Texas. Texas teachers must be given 45 days notice if their contract will not be renewed. The lege does not know how much money they have to allocate to the local districts. They won't be finished until the end of May. Nobody knows how much the districts will get from the state. Hence, the big uncertainty regarding how many teachers to hire for next year.
This is mostly baaaadddd planning and worse theater. IMO, the state could close many departments before they cut school funding. Like the TDHCA. We are full to the gills of tax credit apartments and weatherization scams. Encore and Centerpoint can manage the low income energy assistance

Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Go on, youngsters. Fight for your education now so you can haul us out of the toxic mess the last two or three generations have created for us. You're our last hope.

I like the ones who are going "well, pay for your education then" - they are. We are. Everyone is. And then these people want to blame politicians for selling this country down the river? Like hell. You're just as big a part of the problem and no part of the solution.

I find this rather inspiring. These moments really are getting far and few between for me nowadays. I can't be alone there.

Old 04-15-2011, 06:08 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Actually, they are. Public sector salaries have increased much faster than private sector salaries. Think about it - home prices have increased faster than inflation for four decades, and property taxes, which are assessed as a % of home prices, are as high as they've ever been. It's just that they can't have both higher wages and higher numbers of employees. (An across the board wage cut would have obviated the need for layoffs).

A Houston teacher earning the median teacher salary pulls down the median household income all by her lonesome. Add a patrol cop's median salary to complete the household, and you're at anywhere from the 75th to the 85th percentile of US household incomes. How badly off can they be?
That's what people don't get. It isn't about how badly off teachers are, but rather how little they are paid for what they do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: