Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 01:00 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,218,368 times

Advertisements

Which areas are more hype than substance?

Pearland
reminds me of Missouri City in the 80s...the hot area now with all the development but not much long term value in my opinion. Close to the South side of Houston so naturally its going to be a magnet for folks to move there. Kids already jumping borders from Sunnyside, South Park to attend Pearland ISD schools. A fad area as once it goes down folks will bolt overnight. The Towncenter area has already lost business.

Fresno/Arcola
1000% overrated...no real city services...another area that sprouted overnight with no real growth plan. Basically an extension of SW Houston with newer homes that are smaller and more expensive. Sienna Plantation folks isolated themselves from them with a quickness.

Humble
See Pearland except replace South Park with Homestead. No real transit options and I don't see any type of zoning. I prefer the old area by Will Clayton compared to newer areas.

Katy
Depends on where you live (Cinco Ranch, etc.). The Fry Road North area around 529 reminds me more of inner city Houston than a suburb as there's no zoning, stuff all over the place, cheap homes, etc. Overrated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 06:00 AM

958 posts, read 2,574,120 times
Oh

Old 05-25-2011, 07:38 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Which areas are more hype than substance?

Pearland
reminds me of Missouri City in the 80s...the hot area now with all the development but not much long term value in my opinion. Close to the South side of Houston so naturally its going to be a magnet for folks to move there. Kids already jumping borders from Sunnyside, South Park to attend Pearland ISD schools. A fad area as once it goes down folks will bolt overnight. The Towncenter area has already lost business.

Fresno/Arcola
1000% overrated...no real city services...another area that sprouted overnight with no real growth plan. Basically an extension of SW Houston with newer homes that are smaller and more expensive. Sienna Plantation folks isolated themselves from them with a quickness.

Humble
See Pearland except replace South Park with Homestead. No real transit options and I don't see any type of zoning. I prefer the old area by Will Clayton compared to newer areas.

Katy
Depends on where you live (Cinco Ranch, etc.). The Fry Road North area around 529 reminds me more of inner city Houston than a suburb as there's no zoning, stuff all over the place, cheap homes, etc. Overrated.
I don't know about Katy and Humble, but I think your analysis of Pearland and Fresno are spot on.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:53 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
That's why I am in Clear Lake. All the development fads are over except for League City.

Well really it was for a job

Old 05-25-2011, 09:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,821,369 times
LOL...Fresno? I didn't know there was any "hype" about Fresno??? Home of Teal Run...one of the most foreclosure ridden areas in the Houston area for years.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:19 AM

There was hype.....alot of those Teal Runs/Vicksburg, etc, folks grew up near me but they thought they were moving to paradise...

I would never spend money for a crib out there when I do better staying at my parent's house that had more space for way less

Plus, alot of folks thought Hightower High was the best thing since sliced bread but it has turned into nothing but a wannabe Willowridge with newer facilities

Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Pearland is no where to close to overrated I would say Woodlands is a little overrated

Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM

55 posts, read 103,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
There was hype.....alot of those Teal Runs/Vicksburg, etc, folks grew up near me but they thought they were moving to paradise...

I would never spend money for a crib out there when I do better staying at my parent's house that had more space for way less

Plus, alot of folks thought Hightower High was the best thing since sliced bread but it has turned into nothing but a wannabe Willowridge with newer facilities
Weird how you know what other people think. Btw, Vicksburg isn't Fresno and isn't zoned to Hightower

Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 PM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robsta teh cool View Post
Pearland is EXTREMELY over rated. The restaurants are all generic chains, the HEB is constantly running out of food, there's nothing to do besides watching tv in your badly built pre fab home.

Southwest Houston is leagues better, I can drive down to asia town, indian town, the galleria, meyerland plaza, bellaire triangle, and I get to live in lush green neighborhood full of wonderful homes with character,
everything you listed right near the loop is not even a suburb I totally disagree with you Pearland is not overrated if all you do is rate is a suburb by the quality of restaurants then every signal suburb is totally overrated

Old 05-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Pearland is what Mo. City was in the 80s except with less character in my opinion

Folks were proud to own homes then and were very active in the community as the schools were a source of pride compared to what I see in Pearland now. Now, people want to own out there but have to work hard just to own a home. Four miles in Houston where I grew up, I can get a better built home, safe area for the same amount of cash. Pearland isn't that safe also.

Vicksburg, Teal Run....those areas are tied to each other indirectly....I wasn't impressed with either...you can stay up the road off Hiram Clarke in Brentwood or across there and get much more
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston