Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 09:10 PM

76 posts, read 277,305 times

Advertisements

Has anyone ever seen a house without living room AND dining room? The house is 5000 square feet it has a hge kitchen with eat in area large family room big bedrooms and office priced at 699,000. Spectacular lot and landscaping. I personally never use my living room and dining room 2 times per year so wouldn't miss it but for resale value. All the other houses we toured had dining rooms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 09:30 PM

4,900 posts, read 13,738,039 times
Seems an odd choice to not have a formal dining in such a large home. I know my wife would never buy it but if it works for your lifestyle then go for it. I think it would limit your pool of buyers in resale. Is there a room that could be converted to formal dining?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Has anyone ever seen a house without living room AND dining room?
Usually its a great room.

Great room - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-31-2011, 09:47 PM

613 posts, read 1,002,371 times
As you often have to do with houses, I'd think of the resale value. Most people want to have a dining room and would not buy a house without. That means the number of potential buyers for the house if you have to sell will be greatly reduced.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:44 PM

There was no room to even put one in - The Great Room was set up really nice (I still call it a family room, less formal to hang out). Really beautiful house, so I'm sure they will come down on the ask price, but that is something I cannot get over.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:48 PM

401 Hunters Ln, Friendswood, TEXAS 77546 - Hunters Creek Estates MLS 43106841, priced at $699,000

Here is the house, the photos make it look like the dining area is seperate, however it is right in the kitchen.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:14 PM
NTT

723 posts, read 1,833,657 times
Maddie, that link does not stated all the rooms. This is actually a beautiful home with all the rooms: Kitchen, breakfast room, formal dining, family room and formal living room. Looks like it even has 2 fireplaces! See this same home listing at HAR.com.

401 Hunters Ln, Friendswood, TX 77546 - HAR.com

On the photos of this listing (above), looks like the game/family room is upstair. It's the one that has gym equipments in there. The formal living room is on the first floor and is the larger room with the fireplace. The smaller room with the fireplace, on the first floor that has a sofa and smaller TV, should have been the formal dining.

Last edited by NTT; 07-31-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 PM
NTT

Personally, I don't really care for having a formal living room. When my family and friends visit, they always end up in the family room, kitchen and/or breakfast room. I'm glad my home doesn't have one. Otherwise, it'd just take more space which would have made the other rooms smaller.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTT View Post
Maddie, that link does not stated all the rooms. This is actually a beautiful home with all the rooms: Kitchen, breakfast room, formal dining, family room and formal living room. Looks like it even has 2 fireplaces! See this same home listing at HAR.com.

401 Hunters Ln, Friendswood, TX 77546 - HAR.com

On the photos of this listing (above), looks like the game/family room is upstair. It's the one that has gym equipments in there. The formal living room is on the first floor and is the larger room with the fireplace. The smaller room with the fireplace, on the first floor that has a sofa and smaller TV, should have been the formal dining.
The room that has the fireplace and sofa is actually the office. You go up the stairs half way and it is right off the landing. So it is way too far away to use as a dining room. It does make a spectacular office though.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 AM
NTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie800 View Post
The room that has the fireplace and sofa is actually the office. You go up the stairs half way and it is right off the landing. So it is way too far away to use as a dining room. It does make a spectacular office though.
A large built home as such normally has at least, a formal dining. The open room by the kitchen (with dining set) is not consider a formal dining but a breakfast nook. It'd be strange for that to be the formal dining and too small for it. After looking it again, you're right, that room with the fireplace is not the formal dining. So, where is it? Normally, if a home has 2 fireplaces (1 in each room), the larger room w/the fireplace is the family or living room and the smaller room w/the fireplace is the formal dining. In this house, they're not on the same floor. Seemed like this was a custom built home to suite the first owners need.

Nevertheless, except for the kitchen and bathrooms, any room can be whatever you chose it to be.

Ha-ha... I wouldn't want that "spectacular" room to be my office. I wouldn't be able to work in there at all! I'd be spending time staring at the window in the summer and sipping hot cocoa/coffee next to the fireplace in the winter

Last edited by NTT; 08-01-2011 at 12:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: