Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 09:47 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times

Advertisements

I came from Chicago. I lived in the Wicker Park neighborhood right out of college. My brother is a TCU grad and lived in Dallas for years and I have lived here or have had ties to Houston for many also.

I would choose Houston over Dallas in a heartbeat. Houston has pretty much everything, including plenty to do for young adults. The main difference is you have to get used to driving. Also, you have to accept that Houston and Chicago are not the same. You aren't going to be able to get a place like you could on Damen, take the train to work and walk to do laundry, groceries, the bar, etc.

Some other things to keep in mind also is the Texas attitude towards marriage. Many people marry their college sweethearts. In Chicago, as you know, many people believe it's odd to get married before 30. Here, if you aren't married before 30, many people wonder why. I believe as more people from the north move here, that attitude has changed somewhat.

If you do move to Houston, use Craigslist to find a place. You would be amazed what you can get if you are willing to have roommates. I've always felt the best area for singles from Chicago or other big cities up north is anywhere between Chimney Rock and downtown, between 59 and I-10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 09:49 AM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Houston has a lot to offer, but it is very differrent than Chicago. I have a friend that just moved there and he lives in one of the hi rise buildings. Walks to work, to a variety of bars, most shopping or anything else, people walk.

We don't do that here. We just don't.

We have clubs, great restaurants, shoppings, but everything is spread out and people drive. It is what it is.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:30 AM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bghplayer View Post
Stay in Chicago or go to California or New York if you are young. Houston is boring for young people. If you love outdoor sport or outdoor shopping, you won't be doing that here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The Gulf doesn't compare at all to Lake Michigan, especially if the OP is coming from the heart of the city. Chicago + Lake Michigan together is picturesque. While the Gulf has some good days, it is mostly murky muddy and again, it's 50 miles away. Galveston Bay is actually closer at about 30 miles with a few small beaches that can actually be less murky than the Gulf... but oil industry is in the backdrop (and in the air).
Very good statements above. And it's better to visit first to see with your own eyes. Looking at maps and hearing comments don't do justice to seeing, feeling, and breathing what it's actually like. Remember too that it's heat+humidity+pollution.

Last edited by Sunderpig2; 10-07-2011 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-07-2011, 12:48 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
If it weren't for the Gulf, the Ship Channel and the energy industry, Houston wouldn't be here.

Ronnie

Old 10-07-2011, 12:55 PM

157 posts, read 577,847 times
What if Houston doesn't like you? Ever think of that?

Old 10-07-2011, 02:07 PM

24 posts, read 42,197 times
Came in 1997 when I was 39. Figured I'd stay for a year or two until I figured out where I wanted to go.

Still here. 7 investment properties and a great software engineer job later.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:07 PM

1,822 posts, read 2,000,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonRonnie View Post
If it weren't for the Gulf, the Ship Channel and the energy industry, Houston wouldn't be here.

Ronnie
I have to disagree. Houston has been around since the late 1830's, long before the energy industry ever showed up. And after the hurricane of 1900 - whiping out much of Galveston (the largest Texas town at the time) - Houston started surpassing Galveston, mostly due to the enhanced protection being farther away from the coast. It expanded due to a shift away from using Galveston as a business base.

As far as the ship channel goes, it's not anything particularly unique or special. Pretty much all major waterways that see boat traffic have a dredged channel. They're all over the US (and world). There's a channel in Clear Lake too, but that doesn't make it anything fancy.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:30 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,048,839 times
to the OP most of the people on this board appear to be middle aged or older. for a young person LA and NYC are FAR from the only places to go. that is crazy. Houston is regularly rated as one of the best cities for young professionals. yes a part of that is affordability that is why so many young professionals are moving here.

if you don't mind the weather yes houston will have everything you'd need and want to do. that being said some people are never happy anywhere and dont find a reason for living

i'm mid 20s

Old 10-07-2011, 05:18 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,990,094 times
You can live in Clear Lake which is a huge recreational boating area and be about 25 miles from downtown central business district or you can live near Lake Houston or Lake Conroe -- so there is water if you want it.

Old 10-07-2011, 06:12 PM

8 posts, read 11,529 times
I am also a young (20 y/o) Chicagoan intrigued by Houston.

Main reasons being:

Racial diversity and neighborhood integration (coming from the most segregated city in America)
Affordable housing
No state income tax
Job availability

I feel as if though Houston would give me the best opportunity to save up money while still being able to live in a major city.

Why do some of you feel Houston is boring for young folks? What makes Houston different from Chicago in that regard? Also, is Houston as racially integrated as I'm led to believe or is that a misconception about the city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston