Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Good quality??? In a chain restaurant??? Really??? lol
yeah, really.

along with cleanliness, dont forget cleanliness..lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 10:10 PM

8 posts, read 11,533 times
Which neighborhoods would you recommend a 20 y/o look into? The cost of living is intriguing but another reason for my interest in the city is the people. Although my belief is that there are good people everywhere, I have heard wonderful things about Texans in particular. Which neighborhoods have the youngest demographics and are also ethnically diverse?

Old 10-17-2011, 10:55 PM

208 posts, read 270,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txwoodchuck View Post
I moved here 33 years ago. Didn't like it any more than I liked N.Y. Eventually I realized it was me not where I lived. People are pretty much the same everywhere. It is what you make it. Houston has everything any big city has,,, just look. Your $$ go much further than most places.... Live in The Woodlands, 40 miles north and you can find one of the best master planned communities in the U.S.
You drank the tx kool-aid huh. A trip to Niagra falls could fix that

Old 10-18-2011, 05:39 AM

114 posts, read 225,152 times
Live in montrose if you want artsy, hip, and are not homophobic. Live in Galleria if you want a more upscale shopping area. Live in Midtown if you want to be near bars, but don't get me wrong, midtown is nice and can be expensive. Live in the heights if you want to be walking distance to antique places and shops, and more of a quiet area, also has bike trails and beautiful homes. Live in West University if you can afford it, want to be walking distance as well. This is all inside 610 and can run you 1000-1500 for a nice safe area. Houston ain't cheap, unless you go out to the suburbs or live in a crime pocket

Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 AM

114 posts, read 225,152 times
It's all ethnically diverse. You will find friends everywhere and it seems you have a good attitude. There are families that live in the Heights and West University area but they are very wealthy and professionals ie physicians who want to be close to the medical center. When I was single I liked living next to these folks, they keep the riff raff out and there are plenty of singles too in duplexes and nicer apartments

Old 10-18-2011, 06:08 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
I think we got off topic for that thread a little. No, I have not lived in Austin. I am moving this summer. And you are right, Houston does have a few advantages over Austin such as pro sport teams (if you like pro sports more than college), the museum district, the medical center, taco trucks, easier to get a job (it is harder to attract people to Houston), etc.
If it's harder to attract people to Houston, why is it so much larger?

Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 AM

1,632 posts, read 3,327,595 times
I'm sorry, but why is everyone telling him to choose the city with the greatest night life? Shouldn't that be halfway down his list of deciding factors?

I said it before, but the ONLY thing someone should be worrying about in their first job is the opportunity itself. When you're 22 years old, you need experience -- everything else should be secondary. You screw up those first few years by taking an inferior job and you'll handicap your earnings / lifestyle for the next 50 years. Now, if you have perfectly equivalent offers in Boston and Houston, then it's time to talk where you'd like to live. In all my years though, through dozens of job offers, no 2 have ever been exactly equal.

"Live your first 10 years like few men will, you'll live your last 50 like few men can"

Old 10-18-2011, 07:34 AM

594 posts, read 1,249,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texascrude View Post
I'm sorry, but why is everyone telling him to choose the city with the greatest night life? Shouldn't that be halfway down his list of deciding factors?

I said it before, but the ONLY thing someone should be worrying about in their first job is the opportunity itself. When you're 22 years old, you need experience -- everything else should be secondary. You screw up those first few years by taking an inferior job and you'll handicap your earnings / lifestyle for the next 50 years. Now, if you have perfectly equivalent offers in Boston and Houston, then it's time to talk where you'd like to live. In all my years though, through dozens of job offers, no 2 have ever been exactly equal.

"Live your first 10 years like few men will, you'll live your last 50 like few men can"
This is great advice. Moving to Houston was the best thing I did for myself. That's not to say it wouldn't have happened in another large city- but Houston is where I moved.

And for the record, I did find love in Houston and married him in our 30s. No one looked at us funny, ever. Houston is full of all walks of life. It's a big city.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 AM

1,106 posts, read 2,657,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegankris View Post
Good quality??? In a chain restaurant??? Really??? lol
My thoughts exactly.

Old 10-18-2011, 08:26 AM

103 posts, read 136,273 times
If the table is clean, the utensils aren't crusty and the food is great, I'm game. I frequent a couple of places most people consider "dumps" and would pick them any day over the chains. I will admit they initially gave me a case of diarrhea and gas, but that happened only once and looking back it wasn't a big deal. Everyone who works in those places knows me (like a family away from family) and not only do I eat the best tasting food, but as an added bonus my immune system is stronger.

I'm really there for the food, not to see/be seen but sometimes people watching can be fun. Every once in a blue moon some faddish young pair will come in and look around like a deer in the headlights. It's funny to watch them order, completely out of their element, using a fake-Mexican accent, or making a greeting by bowing with her hands together speaking with a fake-Chinese accent, and then dropping the chopsticks during meal time. It doesn't happen every day but when it does, it gives us all a good laugh! The chains are completely devoid of this entertainment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston