Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 04:27 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Was that a picture of the Southwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM

270 posts, read 478,443 times
The thing that Houston has in common with DFW and Atlanta is the the infrastructure in airports.

When I moved here IAH was a pretty big airport. It is even bigger now. With the merger of UA/CO, IAH is going to blossom. A new runway was added in 2003. Plus another was extended. There is room to grow.

Most cities have a rather large airport and the infrastructure in place to compete globally.

Throw in the oil/gas industry here I think Houston can blow past Atlanta. Didn't realize Atlanta was considered a peer really.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
The thing that Houston has in common with DFW and Atlanta is the the infrastructure in airports.

When I moved here IAH was a pretty big airport. It is even bigger now. With the merger of UA/CO, IAH is going to blossom. A new runway was added in 2003. Plus another was extended. There is room to grow.

Most cities have a rather large airport and the infrastructure in place to compete globally.

Throw in the oil/gas industry here I think Houston can blow past Atlanta. Didn't realize Atlanta was considered a peer really.
Me either until I got on here.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
The GDP numbers that guy poster was deceptive. For SF for example, it included 3 large city GDPs. It included SF, Oakland AND SJ. for Houston he only used the Houston MSA. This wasn't an apples to apples comparison. It was a deceptive MSA to CSA comparison.

In fact, for Houston, DFW and Chicago the MSA was used, for Philly, SF and DC the CSA was used.

don't fall for cheap tricks

here is how the poster should have represented the info:
Chicago- 9.4M, $532B

DC- 5.58M, $425B
Houston- 6M, $385B
DFW- 6.37M, $378B
Philly 6M, $347B

SF- 4.3M, $325B
ATL- 5.2M, $272B

so Yeah, Houston may not yet be comparable to Chicago yet on GMP, although it has a higher per capita GMP than Chicago, but it has a higher GMP than SF. Don't be fooled, SF and SJ are NOT an MSA yet. Neither is DC and Baltimore. They have separate metros and separate things going on.

SF on numbers are rather unimpressive without SJ.

I would say that Houston is more in line with DFW, DC and Philly (I would also throw in Boston), and lower than Chicago but above ATL and SF.

People on here just rave about SF because it has a lot of people cramped into a small area. But it aint all that. Trust me, I have been there loads.
People are always pulling the wool over others eyes on here. Watch how they are gonna respond and try and twist the stats.

Edit:

Source:

Gross Metropolitan Product - Greyhill Advisors

Were you there for Business ? Lots of $$$$ and Fortune 500 companies in the Bay Area.

Boston is small. Very small,bit it's a big player business wise. I'm from there. Less than a million in the actual city limits. The MSA is decent size though.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Me either until I got on here.
I think Hartsfield helps drive the economy more in the ATL than some of the companies there.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCEagles01 View Post
I think Hartsfield helps drive the economy more in the ATL than some of the companies there.
The airport and the construction/real estate industry.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:36 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
It is denser than SW Houston?? That area is all 25-35k ppsm. The Greenway plaza area is in the 40's

I don't remember anywhere in Texas being as dense as GW

EDIT: oh and can anyone post a pic of DTD with uptown in the frame? I flew right by DTD last month and the gap was VERY noticeable from that vantage point.
I have no idea. I have to do some research of the entire area. I should have said the density plus urban though to specify my point.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llmrkc07 View Post
True. Man I'm in Huntsville, TX right now and this little town have hills wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more noticeable than DFW. I also believe that Huntsville is apart of Greater Houston. And they say this area is ugly and flat, please.

Actually SHSU sits on top of one of the highest points in East Texas.
No, this isn't true. Huntsville may have some steeper hills, but DFW has some big hills also (SW Dallas County and Western Tarrant especially).

Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
At the same time, I don't think there is an area in Houston or Texas yet that can match the consistent density of a small area like you would get around Uptown to the State-Thomas and West Village area. The vibe an energy is like a mini inner loop. I'm very interested to see how linked Uptown and Downtown will become over the years with the new park. Midtown is headed that way but it isn't there as of yet.
Midtown is really booming; lots of low to midrise projects going on through the area. I just hate those damn townhouses. Good designs; horrible layout.

Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
Midtown is really booming; lots of low to midrise projects going on through the area. I just hate those damn townhouses. Good designs; horrible layout.
I don't know what it is between you and townhomes, but I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston