Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 12:24 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times

Advertisements

Good point. However, the same can be said of the DFW metroplex, and Sundance is still extremely successful.

There is a very large concentration of people within a 15 minute drive to downtown....millions.

The foreclosure all rests on the developers and to a point the city for not executing the project successfully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:29 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Where are all the people who swore by Houston Pavillions promising that it would blow Victory park away because it was "In Downtown"? Looks like they're going down the same path. And as the dust settles; Victory park is still more interesting and overall a better development.......*FLOP*

Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Where are all the people who swore by Houston Pavillions promising that it would blow Victory park away because it was "In Downtown"? Looks like they're going down the same path. And as the dust settles; Victory park is still more interesting and overall a better development.......*FLOP*
HP is nothing like VP. HP really just lacks retail and other attractions.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:27 AM

471 posts, read 1,607,622 times
Until I clicked on this thread, I had never heard of the Houston Pavilions - were there ever any commercials or newspaper ads for this?

BTW if they were depending on people living in more upscale suburbs for business, IMO that's a lost cause, because who wants to drive 30 minutes on the freeway or much longer via jammed-up surface streets - and use all that $3.00+ per gallon gas - to a place that to me doesn't seem to offer anything all that special? And I'll admit I haven't been downtown at night for years (jury duty in the afternoon is as close as I've gotten lately ), but if it's anything like it was ten years ago, personally I wouldn't want to be there at night.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:42 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Downtown at night isn't bad, if you go to the areas where people are which are Theater District, Discovery Green, an activity at Toyota Center and yes, the HP area for House of Blues, Lucky Strike, Guadalajara, Yaos, or Mia Bella. Areas in-between - fairly desolate at night. IF Houston Pavilions were to become "the" place to go, it would be short-lived as Houstonians are fickle and tend to go to the newest hot place. Once all the masses start going to a destination the upscale crowd (and their $$) dump it (Marquis Center at I-10, Downtown - remember when all the restaurants and clubs opened?, shuttered for Midtown, Midtown crowd moving to Washington Ave which is also becoming a haven for the masses so what's next?)

Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Downtown at night isn't bad, if you go to the areas where people are which are Theater District, Discovery Green, an activity at Toyota Center and yes, the HP area for House of Blues, Lucky Strike, Guadalajara, Yaos, or Mia Bella. Areas in-between - fairly desolate at night. IF Houston Pavilions were to become "the" place to go, it would be short-lived as Houstonians are fickle and tend to go to the newest hot place. Once all the masses start going to a destination the upscale crowd (and their $$) dump it (Marquis Center at I-10, Downtown - remember when all the restaurants and clubs opened?, shuttered for Midtown, Midtown crowd moving to Washington Ave which is also becoming a haven for the masses so what's next?)

your right i was passing threw downtown last night and the theather bayou place was packed with people..

like i said earlier now that scott gartner new bar seems to be coming on line.. it maybe the shot in the arm the HP needs

Old 12-26-2011, 05:23 PM

978 posts, read 1,058,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
Houston Pavilions could be headed for sale - Houston Chronicle

Looks like people really don't support mixed used developments, even though people always say they want them.

While it technically is a 'mixed use' development, It is merely a restaurant/retail/ entertainment/office complex. In my opinion, the key element in mixed use will always be a residential or even a hotel component.

The initial plans called for a residential tower or 2, but the developers decided to eliminate it by the tile it reached construction. I emailed the developer asking why? and he told me it had something to do with the construction glut doe to the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Sounded like B.S. so I responded stating how vital I felt a residential component would be in the success of this project. Even with my prediction I NEVER wanted to see this thing fail.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkgiraffe View Post
HP is nothing like VP. HP really just lacks retail and other attractions.
....which makes it just like VP but worse.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:16 PM

3,283 posts, read 6,052,923 times
yeah but dallas is a sh**hole

Old 12-26-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
yeah but dallas is a sh**hole
Houston is the Toilet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston