Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 03:59 PM

3,390 posts, read 4,951,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't want it to be like "Chicago's" Needs to be Houston's - whatever that may be. No city should look at another city's and try to replicate any feature of it. Cities should all be unique in design and not similar. I liked the design but there aren't enough tenants and no special events going on in the plaza of it.

I think that's what NYer was saying. LOCALS and developers needed to work together. It's almost as if they didn't put enough thought into this; it's a shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2011, 06:10 PM

683 posts, read 834,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I don't want it to be like "Chicago's" Needs to be Houston's - whatever that may be. No city should look at another city's and try to replicate any feature of it. Cities should all be unique in design and not similar. I liked the design but there aren't enough tenants and no special events going on in the plaza of it.
Not asking to replicate. Would go to other places see what works and why and then bring that information down to Houston and work it, but from a Houston slant. Other cities had a hundred or more years to build and learn...good and bad. Houston is new and unique. But it also knows it needs some of the things from the past.....that happened in other cities and learn from them so we can make Houston a healthier Houston.

Am still confused about the use of the term "multi-use" since several people on here have mentioned that the housing and lodging aspects of the project were kicked to the side.......

Old 12-23-2011, 06:34 PM

1,473 posts, read 2,150,535 times
Sounds like it suffered from a number of problems some that had nothing to do with bussiness choices 1. it came about just as the economy tanked .2. Bad location. 3. lack of public knowledge,I mean really How many people even know its their, jeez all that money you would think it would have at least payed for some TV air time)

Last edited by Truth713; 12-23-2011 at 06:50 PM..

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,230,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
I think that's what NYer was saying. LOCALS and developers needed to work together. It's almost as if they didn't put enough thought into this; it's a shame.
After seeing the info on Sundance Square you provided, it just proves my point on this one.

Ft. Worth has excellent URBAN planning and Sundance Square is a HUGE success.

The developers of Houston Pavilions should be jailed!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth713 View Post
Sounds like it suffered from a number of problems some that had nothing to do with bussiness choices 1. it came about just as the economy tanked .2. Bad location. 3. lack of public knowledge,I mean really How many people even know its their, jeez all that money you would think it would have at least payed for some TV air time)
$180 million and no BILLBOARDS? LOL. Houston is infamous for billboards.
You give me $180 mil and I would've created the next best thing after Times Square.

Shameful.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 AM

Houston...this is how it's done.
From the video: Ft Worth "is a classroom for other cities seeking to duplicate Ft. Worth's success".

Sundance Square - YouTube

Old 12-24-2011, 06:51 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
Doesn't matter what they do to design it - there isn't enough residential development or interest downtown to maintain the pavilions. I kind of like it and I even like the Books A Million in there. Houston has the downtown that rolls up after the workday except for pockets like Theatre District, Discovery Green, etc. because the people just aren't living there on a day-to-day basis. If we had more residents downtown, then place like HP might experience more growth.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:03 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
I should have known something was up when scott gertners new sky bar still hadn't opened. It was supposed to open last year.

Old 12-24-2011, 08:58 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
These are a couple images from largetexas. This is what the Pavilions were supposed to look like.

Now compare that to what you have now.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:47 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,436 times
It always appeared to be busy to me and felt like a good number of people were out and about on the weekends at least. The Piano bar always had a good crowd. I suppose that wasn't enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston